Rubicon Package as a $5k upgrade to any trim

MagicMan08

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sport
I ordered a Willys Sport specifically because I didn't want power windows and the Rubicon was out of my league price wise. The Willys edition is basically a Rubicon lite already. I bet they improve it going forward.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

There are much better selectable lockers available. The ARBs are bulletproof but would also require an air compressor. Eaton makes quality e-lockers as well.
Eaton Elocker is the stock locker on the rubicons.. you can get them after market for all models its all about money lol

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Off idle, sure. After that, Pentastar torque is pretty much flat between 25-5500rpm.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Package as a $5k upgrade to any trim 2019-wrangler-turbo-4-versus-n-a-v6-dyno-test
I would ld love to see a combined chart of all 3 engine options to see how they compare. this looks like a pretty good powertrain as far as the torque curve, but the HP is less than ideal since it does not reach max until so high up. this also shows why the power loss is so noticable offroad at high elevation. when crawling under 3000 rpm at 13k feet there is not a lot of power there. that is where I think the othef 2 options will shine.

however back to the topic of the thread, still no real confirmation on this, or other sources. I hope its true as it would be ideal for a lot of people, but not holding my breath. ill save all my hopes for the Mojave.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Off idle, sure. After that, Pentastar torque is pretty much flat between 25-5500rpm.

2019-wrangler-turbo-4-versus-n-a-v6-dyno-test.jpg
Lol, but you're not making 150 horsepower until almost 4 grand. You can post all the math and charts that you want. The reality is that with the factory Rubicon gearing and stock 33s 6th gear is almost useless. Add bigger tires and a little weight and you'll understand that 5:13s are about the sweet spot for 37s and the manual both on and off road, but I'm sure you'll try and educate me some more about the rig I've been driving for the last 2 years. Go drive both transmissions and then come back and tell me which one would benefit more from lower gearing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I would ld love to see a combined chart of all 3 engine options to see how they compare. this looks like a pretty good powertrain as far as the torque curve, but the HP is less than ideal since it does not reach max until so high up. this also shows why the power loss is so noticable offroad at high elevation. when crawling under 3000 rpm at 13k feet there is not a lot of power there. that is where I think the othef 2 options will shine.

however back to the topic of the thread, still no real confirmation on this, or other sources. I hope its true as it would be ideal for a lot of people, but not holding my breath. ill save all my hopes for the Mojave.
The graph actually came from an article comparing the 2.0 and V6. They did have an overlay of those two.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Well, that torque curve explains a lot....my Jeep rarely ever gets to 2500 rpm. No wonder it feels so gutless...and no wonder people love the diesel torque curve with full torque by 1500 rpm.

PJJPtx

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 392, '21 JLUR, '18 Sahara, Viper TT, Gallardo
I have a 2018 Sahara 3.6 and just purchased a 21 rubicon 3.6. I test drove a 21 diesel, and the low-end torque was great, but it seemed to run out of juice as rpm increased... I personally much prefer the 3.6. Either way, if you drive them right, I'm sure they are both great.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
tell me which one would benefit more from lower gearing.
Not a point I was ever trying to make. Lots of owners with big tires say their AT Jeeps get around fine, but concede that they're basically resigned to being 6speeds. Once you're at 35 or larger with gas/8HP, there are ZERO drawbacks to 5.13 gears, aside from the price tag.
I would never tell you that a JL on 37's doesn't benefit greatly from a re-gear. My only assertion has been that I would think long and hard about how much time I expect to spend running 75mph or more. My JKUR 6spd turns just under 2900rpm at 80- and it's f'n annoying. THAT, I have experience on.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Not a point I was ever trying to make. Lots of owners with big tires say their AT Jeeps get around fine, but concede that they're basically resigned to being 6speeds. Once you're at 35 or larger with gas/8HP, there are ZERO drawbacks to 5.13 gears, aside from the price tag.
I would never tell you that a JL on 37's doesn't benefit greatly from a re-gear. My only assertion has been that I would think long and hard about how much time I expect to spend running 75mph or more. My JKUR 6spd turns just under 2900rpm at 80- and it's f'n annoying. THAT, I have experience on.
Lol, your very first comment in here which started this whole conversation suggested lower gearing for the auto than the manual. Those of us who have driven both disagree with you.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My buddy was looking at Rams and Challengers a couple weeks ago. While he was doing his thing, I decided to break the 100 mark for total wranglers test driven.

With 38's and at 4.25" above stock height, my 2019 JLUR with 2.0/8-speed/4.10's and Tazer Mini was still peppier than both the etorque and non etorque 3.6's.

As a former diesel mechanic of many years, I also took a spin in a Sarge Green diesel Rubicon. It quickly became evident of how much they clipped its true capabilities for the sake of placating the epa. Puff limiters were easy to bypass pre 2007, but not so much now with the strict emissions systems and standards and the current microscope on diesel modification.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
The ARBs are bulletproof
:CWL:

Put my ear to that rear D44 wondering, what's that hissing noise in there? Why is that compressor always running? What's that smell coming from the axle tube vent? How come my brakes are covered in all that goo? Why do I keep adding diff fluid? I know all about ARBs.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I decided to break the 100 mark for total wranglers test driven.

With 38's and at 4.25" above stock height, my 2019 JLUR with 2.0/8-speed/4.10's and Tazer Mini was still peppier than both the etorque and non etorque 3.6's.
Makes sense.

Learning that I was test driving Wranglers, a JLUR/Pentastar-owning friend recommended the V6 twelve ways to Sunday. And so I gave that engine a fair chance, driving several new V6 JLUs (manuals and autos).

To be frank, I came away disappointed, figuring that engine should have had a lot more grunt than I observed. I eventually ordered the 2.0T w/the 850RE, sight- (and test drive) unseen, hoping that the online review trends and opinions of that powertrain were accurate.

They were. :)

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
:CWL:

Put my ear to that rear D44 wondering, what's that hissing noise in there? Why is that compressor always running? What's that smell coming from the axle tube vent? How come my brakes are covered in all that goo? Why do I keep adding diff fluid? I know all about ARBs.
Yet there are 10s of thousands of them running around trouble-free for years. There are failure rates on every part ever built. It is extremely low on ARBs.