DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any issues with delamination of the Uconnect screen? I noticed this tonight. It looked like a crack, so I removed the Mopar screen protector I had installed and saw this. It looks more like delamination when the screen is off. I'm almost wondering if there is a protective film that I didn't remove, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't one there when I took delivery. I'm afraid to go picking at it for fear of more damage. I think I remember taking the protective covering off of it at delivery, though. I'm at 38k miles, so we'll see if the bumper to bumper warranty covers it. If not, I do have an FCA lifetime warranty that should cover it. I just would rather avoid the $200 deductible.

You can see it up by the time in the top left. This is before I took the Mopar protector off.
Jeep Wrangler JL Uconnect 8.4 Screen Delamination ogxs97r

After Mopar protector removal and with screen off:

Jeep Wrangler JL Uconnect 8.4 Screen Delamination hs1DCpy
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Anyone have any issues with delamination of the Uconnect screen? I noticed this tonight. It looked like a crack, so I removed the Mopar screen protector I had installed and saw this. It looks more like delamination when the screen is off. I'm almost wondering if there is a protective film that I didn't remove, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't one there when I took delivery. I'm afraid to go picking at it for fear of more damage. I think I remember taking the protective covering off of it at delivery, though. I'm at 38k miles, so we'll see if the bumper to bumper warranty covers it. If not, I do have an FCA lifetime warranty that should cover it. I just would rather avoid the $200 deductible.

You can see it up by the time in the top left. This is before I took the Mopar protector off.

That sucks. See here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...moisture-inside-radio-screen-like-this.51402/

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Martin1128

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Sahara

We had the same issue supposedly due to heat from living in Houston. Had it replaced today under extended warranty and they charged us $65 as deductible. I thought it was a $200 deductible but whatever its fixed. Only issue is that FCA did not redesign this part. Its the same exact part so its possible that it could happen again. I guess its a Jeep thing lol

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We had the same issue supposedly due to heat from living in Houston. Had it replaced today under extended warranty and they charged us $65 as deductible. I thought it was a $200 deductible but whatever its fixed. Only issue is that FCA did not redesign this part. Its the same exact part so its possible that it could happen again. I guess its a Jeep thing lol
I doubt it was the heat. Mine hasn't been exposed to anything close to Houston heat. (I lived there a year, so I do know it is MUCH hotter than Indiana.) I think some of them have a material or manufacturing defect. Many don't do this at all. My Jeep is garaged and not very often subjected to greenhouse heat. Usually when outdoors in the summer I've either got doors off or if not, windows cracked and a sun blind on the windshield. So very easy conditions for it.

I should know this week if they'll cover it under the bumper to bumper. I'm betting they will because I just sold a Gladiator for them and they're always good to me. But if they don't, that's why I bought the warranty. I'd actually be thrilled if they did it and charged me 65 bucks.

How old is your Jeep and how many miles are on it?

Sponsored

Martin1128

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Sahara
I doubt it was the heat. Mine hasn't been exposed to anything close to Houston heat. (I lived there a year, so I do know it is MUCH hotter than Indiana.) I think some of them have a material or manufacturing defect. Many don't do this at all. My Jeep is garaged and not very often subjected to greenhouse heat. Usually when outdoors in the summer I've either got doors off or if not, windows cracked and a sun blind on the windshield. So very easy conditions for it.

I should know this week if they'll cover it under the bumper to bumper. I'm betting they will because I just sold a Gladiator for them and they're always good to me. But if they don't, that's why I bought the warranty. I'd actually be thrilled if they did it and charged me 65 bucks.

How old is your Jeep and how many miles are on it?
Its 2018 with 60k miles. The service guy we spoke to also had a stack of orders for the 8.4 inch screen not just for the JL wranglers. Anything from Durangos to Hellcats so they obviously know about it but don't want to do a recall

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I doubt it would be heat related. Automovite electronics are tested to 85c. It is not likely you have gone passed that.
Looks like a manufacture defect.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Its 2018 with 60k miles. The service guy we spoke to also had a stack of orders for the 8.4 inch screen not just for the JL wranglers. Anything from Durangos to Hellcats so they obviously know about it but don't want to do a recall
Recalls are only for safety issues. No carmaker does recalls for non-safety issues. However, they could do what's called in the industry a secret warranty, where when someone brings it in with the issue, they just replace it for free or for a low charge. That's not uncommon. I'm wondering if that's what happened with yours since he had a $200 deductible warranty, as I do, and was only charged $65. That would certainly explain it.

Sometimes they call them secret warranties, too. Those are often unknown because you'll take your vehicle in for something, say the Uconnect screen replacement, and while it is there, they replace something else, torque certain bolts, inspect something, tiupdate software, or fix something, and you never are told about it. I'm not sure if any states ever put legislation in place regarding secret warranties, but I know it used to be very common practice. I'm betting it still is.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I too have mine on a list for an exchange. The service manager said that they are seeing several delaminate failures on multiple models every week. The wait time is presently 8-10 weeks.

Martin1128

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Sahara
I too have mine on a list for an exchange. The service manager said that they are seeing several delaminate failures on multiple models every week. The wait time is presently 8-10 weeks.
Welcome to the club. I just now joined the rear seat latch breaking off clubšŸ™„. Shouldn't put a $2 part on a $50k vehicle

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine is doing it also, it's a big FCA problem happening to many 8.4 inch screens.
I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares I might be reaching out to you today. My dealership has been waiting over a month to hear back from Jeep on my screen and warranty coverage. They may need some help from you. I will check in with them today and will reach out to you via PM if they still haven't received a response.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares I might be reaching out to you today. My dealership has been waiting over a month to hear back from Jeep on my screen and warranty coverage. They may need some help from you. I will check in with them today and will reach out to you via PM if they still haven't received a response.
Sounds good! Please feel free to reach out.

Alison
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you Alison and yes, I have a case open and Sherri from Uconnect is helping me with the issue. I believe they are getting me a new radio. :) If you have time to see what is happening my case number is 78092526 . Thanks again
Thanks for sending this over! It appears you're in good hands. I can assure you Sherri is the best person to assist you going forward.

Alison
Jeep Cares

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Something that I still find ironic is that the extended warranty sales rep used the replacement of the screen as the cost justification example.
Are they using a known product family defect to make policy up sales? This screen issue is not limited to the Jeep logo. This isnā€™t the same thing as planned obsolescence.
Sponsored