Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well had a new set of OEM sensors installed today and they won’t read the two back wheels and took quite awhile to sync up to get the front ones to read, originally had the ones Discount Tire said would work and they at least displayed all the pressures but had the idiot light come on but these OEM ones don’t even do that so my next test is to throw on the original stock 18’s with original sensors and see if all works and if they do then going to swap those sensors to the new wheels and see what happens, it may have something to do with the way the sensor is in the new wheel combined with the -12 offset but that is a wild guess

If all works with the original setup and it should and I swap to the new wheels and they don’t I’m just gonna take my Tazer and turn the shit off and be done and go back to checking pressures once a month like I did in the old days when things were simplier.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Run the jeep without any TPMS XMITTERS INSTALLED IN THE WHEELS---

You won't have any trouble and no FALSE ALARMS-

W.E.

JIMBO
And you will fail state inspections.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Oh, sorry, I don't have state inspections so I didn't even consider that--

Sorry guys

JIMBO

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Oh, sorry, I don't have state inspections so I didn't even consider that--

Sorry guys

JIMBO
Yea this is my first time having to deal with those things. They are very picky about what you do to your vehicle, to the point that some mods just aren’t reasonable.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
And you will fail state inspections.
Texas has state vehicle inspections but TPMS is not mandated to be operational to pass

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yea this is my first time having to deal with those things. They are very picky about what you do to your vehicle, to the point that some mods just aren’t reasonable.
I went thru two sets of sensors before I got some that worked with my current wheel, tire lift combo. Not sure what the issue was but on the second set of sensors the fronts took about 20 mins or so to sync up and the back ones took about a day but it was parked most of that day and from my understanding you have to be rolling at a certain speed for a certain amount of time to get them to sync up

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Texas has state vehicle inspections but TPMS is not mandated to be operational to pass
That’s interesting, since it is federally mandated that all vehicles are manufactured with tpms. Obviously states aren’t required to adjust to federal standards, but Virginia sure loves to restrict people. My father in law had his truck in for inspection and they failed him for having replaced halogen bulbs with led’s, and forced him to remove them and install new halogen lights.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
That’s interesting, since it is federally mandated that all vehicles are manufactured with tpms. Obviously states aren’t required to adjust to federal standards, but Virginia sure loves to restrict people. My father in law had his truck in for inspection and they failed him for having replaced halogen bulbs with led’s, and forced him to remove them and install new halogen lights.
That is crazy to be failed on changing to LED’s but here is the Texas info for those interested

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=214

For me it’s not an issue as my system is currently operational and we are not quite sure why it took so long for the sensors to sync up, the fronts did pretty quickly but the rears took over a day so now will just have to wait to see what happen when I do my 5 tire rotation, if anything I can turn the system off with the Tazer but I will admit it’s kinda nice seeing the pressures and today I confirmed with a digital tire pressure gage that the readings are fairly close both with the tires cold and warm, readings were off maybe 1 lb so I was pleased with that

If memory serves me correctly the shop that installed the sensors said they could sync up as quickly as 20-30 mins and as long as 24 hrs but I had never heard that before, and another shop said the way the sensor is in the wheel pointing straight down rather than towards the center with the offset may also make it take longer to sync do to the offset and lift along with where the modules are located and no one seems to know where they are.

Blacktrail

First Name
Edmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4runner Trail, 2018 JL Sahara
For the ones running the ebay ones successfully, are you running aggressive offset like -12, am currently running ebay ones from a different seller with only the front driver working properly. I was gonna try the ones suggested here before trying the OEMs

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
For the ones running the ebay ones successfully, are you running aggressive offset like -12, am currently running ebay ones from a different seller with only the front driver working properly. I was gonna try the ones suggested here before trying the OEMs
Not running eBay ones but am running a 2.5” lift with -12 offset wheels and 315 KO2’s and initially had issues with them syncing up, the fronts took like 15 mins and the rears took about a day, these were the second set supplied by the vendor who supplied me with the wheels and tires, the first set synced up pretty quick but the idiot light never went out regardless of pressure

Not sure what is going on as lots are reporting issues, maybe the sensors on the Jeep are picky about what they want to see or maybe the signal the sensors send out are wea, who knows but currently mine are working and in about 1500 miles I will rotate and the spare will be put into the mix and we will see how that goes
Sponsored