Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
@Echo4papa
@Goin2drt

Stealership is absolutely full of chitt.
That's what i thought too. They worked as soon as I put the new wheels on, but stopped working on my way to the dealership for an unrelated issue. They just called to tell me that the front hubs need replacing (the unrelated issue) and that they couldnt reprogram the tpms sensors becuase they were set to another vin.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
That's what i thought too. They worked as soon as I put the new wheels on, but stopped working on my way to the dealership for an unrelated issue. They just called to tell me that the front hubs need replacing (the unrelated issue) and that they couldnt reprogram the tpms sensors becuase they were set to another vin.
@Echo4papa

I edited my post so do go back and re-read it...

With that said, see how it goes when your JL gets back..

Dealer does not need to program the TPMS's... if they said/implied they need to, then, they indeed are full of chitt..

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
@Echo4papa

I edited my post so do go back and re-read it...

With that said, see how it goes when your JL gets back..

Dealer does not need to program the TPMS's... if they said/implied they need to, then, they indeed are full of chitt..
Yeah, that's the plan. They said the hubs are on backorder anyway, so I should be picking her up tomorrow regardless.

capn00

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Unlimited, 2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I am actually having an issue with the Jeep TPMS from some brand new Rubicon take offs I purchased. They have not read since I put them on the 4xe, but I can read them with a handheld MAXITPMS I have access to. I am not really that worried about it as I am not going to spend money to swap them out, but I will ask the dealer to try next time I am in for service.

It is a little strange as I use the "SCH_433" setting when scanning the Rubi wheels, and they respond right away. The Sahara wheels I pulled do not respond to that code though. Build sheet shows Continental TPMS, so perhaps that is the issue?

Love the way they look though!
Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS question IMG_1505

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I waffled on this same question quite a bit and ended up buying a set of these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/181749105026?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649) when I swapped from my OEM Rubicon wheels to a set of Moab/Willy wheels. They have worked perfectly for the past 20,000+ miles. I will be buying a new set of aftermarket wheels soon and just picked up another set.

They are not knock-offs and have less than 1 year old batteries in them. A decent deal to be sure.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@Echo4papa there is indeed no “learning” to be done. A TPMS has a protocol that works or doesn’t work. If a TPMS works in any Wrangler 2018 it will work in any Wrangler from 2018-2022 so far. Only difference is the added feature of TFA added in newer years so you would need a different TPMS to still have that feature but the TPMS part would still work. Make sure no other TPMS are in the Jeep (I.e. take off wheels or TPMS in the Jeep). Make sure the tires are filled to the door placard and drive.
@CarbonSteel I can assure you those are one of two things; fake or refurbished but they are non genuine brand new TPMS. Doesn’t mean they won’t last. Many fakes and refurbished TPMS can work. For how long, it is a crap shoot.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I am actually having an issue with the Jeep TPMS from some brand new Rubicon take offs I purchased. They have not read since I put them on the 4xe, but I can read them with a handheld MAXITPMS I have access to. I am not really that worried about it as I am not going to spend money to swap them out, but I will ask the dealer to try next time I am in for service.

It is a little strange as I use the "SCH_433" setting when scanning the Rubi wheels, and they respond right away. The Sahara wheels I pulled do not respond to that code though. Build sheet shows Continental TPMS, so perhaps that is the issue?

Love the way they look though!
Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS question IMG_1505
If you are positive they were taken off and no one touched the TPMS then they should work with your Jeep. Make sure the tires are set to door placard. Before doing that though deflate 12 psi in all of them. Drive a block or two and then come back and fill to exactly the door placard. Leave the spare off and in the garage. Do drive and they should work.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel I can assure you those are one of two things; fake or refurbished but they are non genuine brand new TPMS. Doesn’t mean they won’t last. Many fakes and refurbished TPMS can work. For how long, it is a crap shoot.
Meh...they certainly do not look fake and are not refurbished--since they are potted, you would definitely be able to tell. That eBay seller has sold nearly 4K of them so there's that. The current ones I have are coming up on 2 years old now with zero issues. I am good with my choice versus paying nearly that much for 1 of them at the dealer.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

capn00

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Unlimited, 2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
If you are positive they were taken off and no one touched the TPMS then they should work with your Jeep. Make sure the tires are set to door placard. Before doing that though deflate 12 psi in all of them. Drive a block or two and then come back and fill to exactly the door placard. Leave the spare off and in the garage. Do drive and they should work.
Will try again this weekend but take the spare off to see if that helps. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sanchese

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
If I buy oem from dealer will the sensors need to be programmed?
Or will it just relearn by itself?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If I buy oem from dealer will the sensors need to be programmed?
Or will it just relearn by itself?
@Sanchese

It does not matter where you buy the "sensors" from. You can buy the OEM TPMS's that are made by Schrader from a dealer or just buy Schrader TPMS's from a reliable/trustworthy vendor which are actually the same but not labeled as OEM..

You must buy the correct/specific TPMS for use with your vehicle.

NO programming of TPMS by a dealer or tire store is necessary.

In regard to your new TPMS's for your JL:

-
How does the JL know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

There are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Pic of a TPMS on a JL wheel:

Yes, your JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

The JL, does have a TPMS sensor in the spare, but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS question stockjlrimwith tpms

Last edited:

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
See post #24.

The sensors that need to be programed are the generic programmable type that are utilized to reduce stock inventory at general purpose tire shops.

The OEM sensors are purchased and installed at the FCA factory with the appropriate coding baked in. If you buy the same replacement part at the dealer it will have the coding baked in as well.

It would make sense that the OEM fabricator, for example Schrader, will attempt to keep pace with MOPAR with regards to running changes in specification, but it is also likely that any running changes made and specified by MOPAR will occur at the FCA factory sooner than they will be adopted by the OEM fabricator's after market parts distribution system.

Only MOPAR knows for sure what they intended to put in your car the day it was built.

VIN parts look up will be with us for a long while.

I plan to rely on it and hope that the databases that keep track of the individual builds remain available for the foreseeable future.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

JL sensors are "auto-learning", I have bought 2 sets of take-offs from other Rubi owners and put them on my Sahara's with no problem, they picked them right up. I can't speak for aftermarket TPMS sensors, but I do know that the OEM TPMS sensors are interchangeable with no programming needed.

Lawn Jockey

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude 4x4
I put a motorcycle TPMS (screw on) on my spare and can check the pressure by plugging the removable dongle in the 12V port and getting a digital readout.

Lots of folks driving around with flat or nearly flat spare tires and they don’t even know it until they need it.
Sponsored