Sponsored

Torque Converter Slippage

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Does anyone else experience torque converter slippage on part throttle 1-2 & 2-3 shifts? Mine seems to lock-up somewhere in the middle of 3rd gear, but is only really noticeable at part throttle, or when accelerating after non-complete stops.

2018 JLR 2.0 eTorque.
Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Does anyone else experience torque converter slippage on part throttle 1-2 & 2-3 shifts? Mine seems to lock-up somewhere in the middle of 3rd gear, but is only really noticeable at part throttle, or when accelerating after non-complete stops.

2018 JLR 2.0 eTorque.
Every vehicle I own does this.
14 Durango 3.6
18 F150 3.5 Eco
18 JLUR 2.0T

Most if not all OEM lock TC in 3rd with these higher gear trans. You cant lock it up in 1st, it will kill the engine.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Every vehicle I own does this.
14 Durango 3.6
18 F150 3.5 Eco
18 JLUR 2.0T

Most if not all OEM lock TC in 3rd with these higher gear trans. You cant lock it up in 1st, it will kill the engine.
My only other 8-speed auto experience is with a BMW M240 & M340 (both ZF 8HP50?). There is no noticeable torque converter slippage. From what I gather, the JL has a "Torqueflite" 850RE, which is supposed to be very similar to the ZF 8HP50.

I should also note that there is no noticeable slippage under WOT. Could this actually be eTorque that I am feeling?

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
My only other 8-speed auto experience is with a BMW M240 & M340 (both ZF 8HP50?). There is no noticeable torque converter slippage. From what I gather, the JL has a "Torqueflite" 850RE, which is supposed to be very similar to the ZF 8HP50.

I should also note that there is no noticeable slippage under WOT. Could this actually be eTorque that I am feeling?
So many variables as to why you dont feel it on the BMW's. Tighter TC's, programming, torque management, etc.

IDK everything about FCA e-torque, but I am extremely confident it is not causing what you are describing.

If you google torque convertor designs or programming and transmission programming, Im sure you will find much better explanations then I am able to give you.

HarleysNGuns

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Recon, Cherokee, V-Rod
Vehicle Showcase

850RE is the same as 8HP50 just built by FCA with ZF parts and to ZF spec. I came from a f30 and that was one thing that I was happy to read up on is the JL is has the same transmission I am used to. Hopefully tuners will be able to work on the TCU like with the BMWs.
Sponsored