Protection for Catalytic converter on 2.0

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
My daughter came home for Thanksgiving. She lives in Chicago land. Today I noticed that her inner fender liner had been poorly cut exposing the catalytic converter.

Obviously someone was interrupted during their attempt, but with it exposed it's a calling sign now.

What is the best way to protect the catalytic converter? Right now the best I can come up with is different inner fenders, but those will only make them start over again if they are determined.
Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Bolt in metal inner fender liners? They can’t just cut them with a box cutter or pull them aside easily by hand. Would need ratchets.

even better insurance… get steel liners and spot weld the bolt heads to the liner. You’d have to grind the tack weld off when you need to pull them. But it would definitely slow a thief down.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just found a cheap set on Amazon for $95. Best part is they will be here Tuesday so I can install before she leaves. This gives me a few weeks to plan a more permanent solution.

I went and looked at my artec inner fender, and because I have the tetaflex adjustable shocks, the their would easily bend the fender back and have access. The shock would be in the way, but I would assume their metal cutter would solve that problem fairly easy too.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Well, since they are using battery powered sawzalls and cut of wheels to steel these things, an aftermarket fender liner my not be a big help. It may be enough of a deterrent to make them move to an easier target though.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Sleep in the jeep with a shotgun?

The issue is they will get it if they want it. Huge issue on F250/350/450 trucks right now as the large cat's are valuable.

What we need is a change of values in society but that quickly becomes a political discussion best over a beer and campfire.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Now we know that people won’t steal those cats. If they were easy, then it would be missing. At least it’s not an E series box truck or Class C RV. Those are worth $200 and take 23 seconds to steal. I know as every week, one of those come in with them removed. Plus one had the video of theirs being removed. Took 23 seconds and a battery operated sawzall.

Gen 1 Prius is worth $1200.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired

Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Maybe an easier fix is to just start busting up the scrap yards taking them in.

Eh never mind what was I thinking

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
To state the obvious, thieves steal what people will buy.
Who buys catalytic converters ? Who pays for the innards ? If these required a "certificate of origin" at every step, like conflict diamonds, what would that do ?
Guy comes in with a bunch of cats to sell, that's not suspicious ? Even Pawnshops have tracking

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
What is the best way to protect the catalytic converter?
Ronnie, unfortunately there is nothing you can do to deter a thief. You might make it harder but then they get pissed and damage other components.

There was a thread a while back on wheel locks. Hell even a retired LEO came into the discussion and was for the locks. I do not agree to make things difficult for a criminal. When they get frustrated it's all about vandalism and destruction and even worse if you catch them and are unable to defend yourself.

Thieves are some of the lowest form of human life. They rate right alongside murderers, rapists and child molesters.

There is only one sure way to deter a criminal. I cannot say it here on this forum because it breaks the rules.

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
I see some people spray painting their Catalytic Converter with Hight heat Orange paint. They cannot sell it .

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see some people spray painting their Catalytic Converter with Hight heat Orange paint. They cannot sell it .
Why? This sounds intriguing
Sponsored