Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
TEXGOAT,

I understand where your coming from and I would love to have ARB's or e-lockers, but I'm not willing to spend the money.

These new Torq Lockers are supposed to be "unnoticeable" while in 2 wheel drive. They have a YouTube video demonstrating them and I was really impressed. Just search Torq Locker JL Wrangler on YouTube. Sorry, I would post a link but can't right now.

I was really hoping someone who has them installed would have responded to this thread. Perhaps tomorrow.
Torsion lockers get really sketchy when you drive in ice and snow in 4 wd around town. Once the front locks it gives unpredictable driving characteristics when theres a turn involved on slippery turns. Plus locking that front spool on a dana 35 is not so great in the strength department depending on trail difficulty and YOUR skillset as a driver. Id go with selectable if u can. Wait for someone to dump a rubi front and get that. Its going to cost about 900 + to put that ausie in.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Torsion lockers get really sketchy when you drive in ice and snow in 4 wd around town. Once the front locks it gives unpredictable driving characteristics when theres a turn involved on slippery turns. Plus locking that front spool on a dana 35 is not so great in the strength department depending on trail difficulty and YOUR skillset as a driver. Id go with selectable if u can. Wait for someone to dump a rubi front and get that. Its going to cost about 900 + to put that ausie in.
True that on the price. Hopefully less. I did mine myself, took about 3 hours, really not hard though, if you are a little mechanically inclined. I would not get one if i didnt do it myself or know someone to do it for free. Not worth it at that point i dont think

OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I've read good things about them on reviews. I think the only hang up is having to run the cable and finding a place to put the lever. Rather than that, I think they are solid from what I hear.

I saw you live in Gunnison. Lucky you, I used to live in Canon City and I'm familiar with that area. Very beautiful.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
True that on the price. Hopefully less. I did mine myself, took about 3 hours, really not hard though, if you are a little mechanically inclined. I would not get one if i didnt do it myself or know someone to do it for free. Not worth it at that point i dont think
why did you get rid of/selling the whole front axle?

Sponsored

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
I had an Aussie in the front of my xj and a no slip in the rear both lunchbox lockers . Both were great in Texas. I moved to Idaho and did donuts in the road unexpectedly first time it snowed and I tossed it in 4wd no ice all powder up there. You can drive 4wd on snowy roads but there is a definite learning curve. It takes throttle management to keep everything going straight. I'd recommend selectable for snow driving.

I did notice a bigger turning radius off road.

I did not notice a change in gas mileage.

Clicking with the Aussie was mildly annoying around corners on the street in 2wd but the XJ had one piece shafts. With the FAD on the JL it should be nonexistent

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I had an Aussie in the front of my xj and a no slip in the rear both lunchbox lockers . Both were great in Texas. I moved to Idaho and did donuts in the road unexpectedly first time it snowed and I tossed it in 4wd no ice all powder up there. You can drive 4wd on snowy roads but there is a definite learning curve. It takes throttle management to keep everything going straight. I'd recommend selectable for snow driving.

I did notice a bigger turning radius off road.

I did not notice a change in gas mileage.

Clicking with the Aussie was mildly annoying around corners on the street in 2wd but the XJ had one piece shafts. With the FAD on the JL it should be nonexistent
so will you put one in your JL?

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
so will you put one in your JL?
Short answer no.

I'm going Arb rear and swapping out the front end for an Ultimate 44 with the e-locker.

I'd be tempted to run the Powertrax no-slip in the rear if it were available(doubt it will be) but I'm not sure it would be up to the tire diameter/weight. I'd risk it if I were staying on 35's but I'm thinking of going to 38's and would not want to push my luck on potential breakage. The No-slip was most well behaved and transparent lunchbox style locker I've ever experienced. No clicking or banging ever and great traction. I'd also be ok with a Detroit(might be available someday) in the rear but the price difference between it and an Arb would not be that much.

Even though I no longer live in the land of eternal winter I have no desire for a lunchbox style in the front on a street driven vehicle ever again(Ice and snow). With the Aussie there was a good deal of popping off road towards the end of its life. It worked well enough for traction but i'd like to be able to shut it off for turns.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Not sure if it's already available for the JL, but I had detroit truetracks on my JK and they worked great. I didn't feel them on road and did great offroad, even with a wheel in the air.

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Short answer no.

I'm going Arb rear and swapping out the front end for an Ultimate 44 with the e-locker.

I'd be tempted to run the Powertrax no-slip in the rear if it were available(doubt it will be) but I'm not sure it would be up to the tire diameter/weight. I'd risk it if I were staying on 35's but I'm thinking of going to 38's and would not want to push my luck on potential breakage. The No-slip was most well behaved and transparent lunchbox style locker I've ever experienced. No clicking or banging ever and great traction. I'd also be ok with a Detroit(might be available someday) in the rear but the price difference between it and an Arb would not be that much.

Even though I no longer live in the land of eternal winter I have no desire for a lunchbox style in the front on a street driven vehicle ever again(Ice and snow). With the Aussie there was a good deal of popping off road towards the end of its life. It worked well enough for traction but i'd like to be able to shut it off for turns.
thanks for the info, the torq is appealing from price point. But I live in canada and deal with snow

I like your plan. I’m on the same track as you.
but waiting for OX locker to come out with a rear locker for the 44 first. Then ill go to 37s and when the front axle breaks go to a UD44

Nodak99

First Name
JOHNNY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I know this is an old thread, but while researching Torq Lockers I referenced it frequently. I recently installed a Torq Locker upfront in my 2019 Sahara. The experience has been good thus far. I live in North Dakota, and we had our first ice/snowstorm that coated everything in a 1/8" thick layer of ice. The first storm is always the worst since there isn't any sand or de-icer down on the roads. My Torq locker performed great. I did not spin donuts or push through the corners. The locker ratcheted when it needed to (Even in 4wd, with a light or medium throttle). When the jeep is in 2wd, you do not notice the locker because the FAD disconnects the passenger side of the axle. A couple of things that could be working in my favor are: 1) Newer 33s with great traction - Torq Locker needs traction to rachet, 2) I grew up in Northern Minnesota where it seemed to snow 7 months out of the year, 3) I still have the 3.45 gears, which means I am most likely not applying a whole lotta power to the differential, enabling it to rachet. If this thread is still active, I'll post an update when I upgrade to 4.56s and 35in tires.
Sponsored