Tire Deflators

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
With your diy kit are you removing the valve stems or leaving them in?

Edit for OP: I have the Smitty built tire deflator, got it for around 40 bucks or something. I prefer an analog pressure Guage over digital, I don't like batteries. Works great and has been accurate so far.
I'm leaving the valve cores in.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i use the ‎Stauns.

i've had them for a while and i don't remember how much i paid for them. they're pretty solidly built, and quick and easy to use and store.
(messing with and storing a bunch of hoses doesn't appeal to me.)

if you're as particular as i am about tire pressure you'll spend some time getting each of them calibrated to your target pressure once, and probably never mess with them again.
or set 2 pair of them at different pressures and use them in pairs,...

with my current pair of knees i appreciate anything that keeps me from having to get down and fiddle with it and get back up. doing it repeatedly sucks exponentially.

Hi all... overwhelmed by the options of tire deflators. I like the Staun 4-pack (6-30 PSI), but the $99.98 price tag is a bit off-putting since I can find literally dozens of other versions - that look absolutely identical - for as low as $13.

I like the buy once cry once mentality, but for as little as I'll use these, I'm wondering if this is a case where the brand name is nice, but the cheapies are "good enough".

Any words of wisdom to sway me one way or the other?

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’ve had a set of these for 3 years, they work fine. Look to be a direct knockoff of what you were looking at.

I now have the innovative AT products ARB kit and it’s much faster, but the little air down tools work just fine.

Sponsored

kbp810

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Have had stauns and oasis deflators before; and eventually frustration set in. After a few uses they'd get gritty, or would find one that stuck open or go out of tolerance and over or under deflate a tire; then a tedious process to adjust to dial it back in. That, and compared to deflators that pull the core, they are quite slow.

Long since ditched those for the ARB deflator; much faster and no surprises.

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I've been using the Staun deflators for about six months. Always accurate and I've been very happy with them. The initial cost stings a little, but it's been money well spent for me.

Go_Galt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Deflating tires is never as much of a chore for me as some people make it out to be. I have cheap ones from amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X8VY6QD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the first time I used them, I just timed how long it takes for them to get down to the PSI I want (usually 12-15 w/o beadlocks). Then every time after that i use the stopwatch on my phone. I'm sure elevation differences can make this time change... when that happens, I deal with it and move on. Takes less than 2 minutes to deflate my tires at the trailhead.
These are what I've always used, and I'm 100% happy with them.

I just screw them on with ~15 seconds between each consecutive tire, use the vehicle's infotainment to monitor pressures, and start screwing them off in the same order when they get close to desired pressure.

Then fine-tune with an actual air gauge to get accurate with it. Fast/ easy/ cheap.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I use a set of knock off deflators. They get me down in the 10-12 PSI range and that's good enough for me. I'm not OCD about trail pressure.

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
Thanks everyone for the fast replies. @BDinTX I'm now old and fat and not only do my feet hurts, but my knees too!

Seriously everyone... thank you. Lots of good feedback. Still some contradiction, but some things for me to think about.

I wish I had an unlimited back account so I could buy everything and then know what is right for me.

Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I got sick of babysitting my tires before and after every run. PIcked up a set of JT Brooks Pro deflators and set them to 12 psi. Now I walk around and socialize while my tires are deflating. Then I built a four tire inflation system from one of the many YouTube videos and now it is the same at the end of a run. I walk around and socialize while my tires inflate.

My only regret on both is that I waited so long.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I use the Stauns and set them to about 15psi. They work perfectly and quickly. And my 70 year old knees aren't screaming for mercy.

Sure, they're pricey. But I'm kinda from the school that says "Cry once when paying instead of crying each time a cheaper alternative craps out."

kubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
I have tried:

ARB that pulls the stem - was fast, but I never had all four tires the same PSI
Coyotes: These were great until I left them in the vehicle I traded in, and I refuse to believe I traded them in and still search the garage for them.

Currently using Speedflate, similar to Morrflate, all tires air down/up quickly, and tire pressure is always the same. If I have a tire 1 PSI off, it drives me crazy until I fix it!

My complaint with Speedflate is the coil line can get a little tangled.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I've been using the same set of Staun tire deflators on the last three Jeeps. They were set at 15 psi when new, so I didn't even bother adjusting them. Tire pressure usually ends up within 0 - 2 psi difference between all 4 tires, which is close enough for me. I know a number of other people that have tried the cheap knock off versions and seem to have to fight with them all the time.
Sponsored