First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
Talk to me about winches- looking at a simple Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC 9500 lbs. Didn’t have one on my previous Jeep and trying to decide if it’s a good investment. I don’t do any crazy wheeling or anything, mostly easy trails but hoping to get to some more moderate ones, still simple. I like the idea of having it as a just in case but curious about other experiences and things to know. Found one for a good price so... anyway thanks in advance! Always get good information on here!

27735BFF-32C5-4699-8052-6D3A712EE68A.jpeg
I carry both, a winch and a tow strap, most pull outs you only need the tow strap, I have the winch because I wheel by myself often and tow an overland trailer, I also carry an anchor point, not many trees out here in the desert. A winch to me is like insurance, good to have.
Sponsored

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
Winch is a basic necessity for anyone hitting the trails IMO.

Per the need to get a Warn: decades ago Warn was the only viable alternative. But things have changed: today Quadratec, Mile Marker, Smittybilt, et. al., offer solid quality and more features for less money.

Warn’s top-selling winches are now made in China, too. So “Made in USA” is less of a differentiator these days...unless you are willing to spend $1,500+

I am shopping for a winch currently. After owning a string of Warn winches over the years, Warn is not on my shopping list this time; I find their prices ridiculous. There are now too many excellent alternatives out there.
Winch is a basic necessity for anyone hitting the trails IMO.

Per the need to get a Warn: decades ago Warn was the only viable alternative. But things have changed: today Quadratec, Mile Marker, Smittybilt, et. al., offer solid quality and more features for less money.

Warn’s top-selling winches are now made in China, too. So “Made in USA” is less of a differentiator these days...unless you are willing to spend $1,500+

I am shopping for a winch currently. After owning a string of Warn winches over the years, Warn is not on my shopping list this time; I find their prices ridiculous. There are now too many excellent alternatives out there.

According to Warn's web site, Warn winches are made in the state of Oregon,

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I drive a 79 CJ7 for 13 years unused item on it was a Ramsey winch. I think I actually used it twice in all of the years I had it.
I recently got back into Jeeps. I thought about putting a,winch on my new Wrangler but have decided against it as I have no place to go wheeling.
Yea, they look cool but unless you are going to do some serious wheeling, I would not put one on my Jeep.

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have had a winch on all but one of my Wrangler Jeeps. I can remember the last time I pulled myself out, it was a long time ago and I was damn glad to have my winch. I use mine to help others when needed, clear dead fall from trails along with a multitude of other uses. It is a piece of equipment I want in place when I leave the hard. It is just like my shovel, axe, jack, fire extinguisher, and first aid kit, they are just part of my Jeep. I don't hunt without my gun and I don't wheel without recovery and safety equipment.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Very nice to have if you have the money laying around. They are like a Boat. You use the shit out of it the first few weeks, then it just becomes an ornament in your yard. Now on the other hand if you are going to put on to do some additional exploring, which is alway a blast, or if you live in a area that gets a lot of snow. By all means get a winch, and take very good care of it and it will take care of you.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I have the Warn VR Evo 10-s on my 19 Moab. Paid $766 local. I've had a winch on every four wheeler, UTV and Jeep that I've owned and never regretted it.

Why:
  • pull yourself out when stuck
  • pull yourself off when high centered
  • pull other people off stuck and high centered
  • tie down to trailer
  • lift heavy dead animals when hunting (fishing? maybe)
  • pull stumps out of the ground easily with common redneck/hillbilly techniques (spare tire)
  • pull nearly anything out of the ground... weeds/brush/trees/fence posts
  • bend things that you can't bend with a bar or by yourself
  • .....?

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches IMG_2187
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches IMG_2186

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Using it once when you have no other alternative makes it worth the price. It’s insurance and peace of mind for me.
Yep. It sucks to spend a few hundred and haul that weight around on the bumper all the time but being able to self-recover, whether you are wheeling on your own or when you slide off a snowy country road, and being able to help other people who are stuck whether on a trail or on the road side, is worth its weight in gold. I am often wheeling on sand alone (take the dogs to the national seashore at sunup most mornings) and I always carry a sand anchor to go with my winch. Got high-centered on a sharp dune crest a couple weeks ago the morning after a big storm and would have been pretty screwed if I had not been able to self-recover with the winch and the sand anchor. Cheap insurance. PS: I have this exact model (except a fairlead and synthetic rope) and it has been great. Winches take a lot of weather and abuse, so being economical is probably a good thing.

Sponsored

Overkill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.camaroheaven.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon; 2018 JLU Sahara; 2002 TJ Sport; 2005 GMC 2500HD; 1969 Camaro (blue); 1969 Camaro (red); 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne K20
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
  • tie down to trailer
A friend of mine USED to do that with his ATV with only one strap on the back to hold it on the trailer until one day the winch line loosened up and the 4-Wheeler came of the trailer and landed topside down in a ravine. He learned that day why I would always tell him he should tie down all four corners when hauling.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
since my earlier post on sunday. i've done some research and figured i get a super winch. well i found out they are built overseas and parts are hard to find. super winch was built in conneticut. then was sold. i'm going to look at ramsey, but warn might be the brand i'm going with. how ever, i'm steering way from the models that are built in china. i'm looking at the m8000 or the 9 series winches. they are built in the usa and parts are readily available.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
If I'm buying a cheap Chinese winch, it should probably be cheap. You can get a cheap Chinese made winch for half that price.
Exactly. Anyone with an interest in drones know about DJI drones. They are very well made and affordable. Guess what, made in China.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
since my earlier post on sunday. i've done some research and figured i get a super winch. well i found out they are built overseas and parts are hard to find. super winch was built in conneticut. then was sold. i'm going to look at ramsey, but warn might be the brand i'm going with. how ever, i'm steering way from the models that are built in china. i'm looking at the m8000 or the 9 series winches. they are built in the usa and parts are readily available.
it is hard to avoid made in CCP land. Next best is find a brand that will keep as much of the money as possible here. I went with Coopers for this reason and Warn.

Hard to argue supporting an American company when you can. Did I spend a little more on a winch made in ccp china? Sure. Global supply chain... But I put money in an American company and American jobs too rather than a marketing or reseller front. Many other cheaper options are wholly designed and manufactured in ccp china and don’t drive a significant cash flow to American companies.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
A friend of mine USED to do that with his ATV with only one strap on the back to hold it on the trailer until one day the winch line loosened up and the 4-Wheeler came of the trailer and landed topside down in a ravine. He learned that day why I would always tell him he should tie down all four corners when hauling.
ok, cool story. I’m going to keep doing it like I have for decades with no issues.
Sponsored