Sponsored

There is no perfect engine

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The 392 is awesome no question, but it's not a practical DD and I'm not spending $75k on a wrangler
I'll be surprised if they sell the 392 for more than a couple of years. It will probably hold its value better than any other Wrangler in the history of Wranglers lol.

Still, I can't help but think, 470hp, 470lb-ft torque, 4 second 0-60? TOP HEAVY WRANGLER WITH CRAPPY STEERING, SUSPENSION, AND BRAKES?! What could possibly go wrong?! hehehe.

Seriously though, in 20 years it'll probably be nearly impossible to find a stock 392 wrangler, so I bet it will hold its value really well. Plus the V8 sounds pretty sweet! And torque! I bet it's a nice quiet cruiser.

But I'm a dumbass and don't trust myself with a wrangler with that much HP lol.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
3.6 sounds way better than the turbo

idk why itā€™s so unbelievable to people that thereā€™s a lot of us that prefer the v6.
As long as youā€™re happy with the choice you made itā€™s all good.

But V6 sounds better than the 2.0 šŸ˜‰
The v6 definitely sounds better. I donā€™t think itā€™s a coincidence that most of the people commenting that they prefer the v6 are at sea level in states without mountains. On flat roads at 0 elevation, the power difference is small enough that sound could be the deciding factor. On a mountain pass at 10k+ feet, it is night and day. The forced induction engine will be down ~10%, the NA engine down over 30%.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
The v6 definitely sounds better. I donā€™t think itā€™s a coincidence that most of the people commenting that they prefer the v6 are at sea level in states without mountains. On flat roads at 0 elevation, the power difference is small enough that sound could be the deciding factor. On a mountain pass at 10k+ feet, it is night and day. The forced induction engine will be down ~10%, the NA engine down over 30%.
You got a point there. Iā€™m in south Florida so I never thought of that side of it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'll be surprised if they sell the 392 for more than a couple of years. It will probably hold its value better than any other Wrangler in the history of Wranglers lol.

Still, I can't help but think, 470hp, 470lb-ft torque, 4 second 0-60? TOP HEAVY WRANGLER WITH CRAPPY STEERING, SUSPENSION, AND BRAKES?! What could possibly go wrong?! hehehe.

Seriously though, in 20 years it'll probably be nearly impossible to find a stock 392 wrangler, so I bet it will hold its value really well. Plus the V8 sounds pretty sweet! And torque! I bet it's a nice quiet cruiser.

But I'm a dumbass and don't trust myself with a wrangler with that much HP lol.
It is top speed limited the same as the rest of us, any dumb stuff Iā€™d do in the 392 I already do in our JLU now.

OP
OP
Caveman044

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I should have never posted this thread. I was content with the 3.6 etorque but now I'm looking at the 2.0 again. Orders need to open up so I can get mine in and be done with it. I've been building wranglers on their website daily for 6 months.

Sponsored

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be ordering a 2022 JLUR this month but I'm not excited about any of the engine options. The 3.6 w/ess has the crappy motorcycle battery that seems to fail far too early, plus it's manual only which I don't want on a DD/wheeler. The 3.6 etorque has a complex secondary battery system that I'm weary of. The 2.0 sounds weird and I don't like turbo throttle feel, plus premium fuel. The 3.0 diesel I actually like but my commute makes me a bad candidate for it plus the high maintenance cost and complexity are a turn off. The 392 is awesome no question, but it's not a practical DD and I'm not spending $75k on a wrangler. The 4xE is interesting but not on a vehicle that is designed to get you away from electrical outlets.

I guess the problem is simply just having choice. I kind of wish it were the old days of having the 3.6 and that's it. I'll likely be getting the XR package so I'll have the 3.6 etorque and I'm sure it will be great. It seems ridiculous to not be able to choose a clear winner, but maybe there isn't.
People sure do find some stupid stuff to complain about.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
It really does not sound all that bad. I've got an exhaust and a cold air intake on it....has a nice growl and the intake lets you hear the turbo spool and makes a "whoosh" sound when letting off.

I cant tell you how many times I've heard a 3.6 with a muffler delete....it gets old, the 2.0 is nice for a change.
I've got a BMW M2 that is FAST but sounds like $hit!!! Don't think I can handle 2 vehicles that sound like butt.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
North Carolina isn't a flat state!!! We have sea level to Mountains and turbo lag sucks!!! Mount Mitchell isn't 10K feet but we are close at 6.5K...Again it all boils down to personal preference.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I'll be ordering a 2022 JLUR this month but I'm not excited about any of the engine options. The 3.6 w/ess has the crappy motorcycle battery that seems to fail far too early, plus it's manual only which I don't want on a DD/wheeler. The 3.6 etorque has a complex secondary battery system that I'm weary of. The 2.0 sounds weird and I don't like turbo throttle feel, plus premium fuel. The 3.0 diesel I actually like but my commute makes me a bad candidate for it plus the high maintenance cost and complexity are a turn off. The 392 is awesome no question, but it's not a practical DD and I'm not spending $75k on a wrangler. The 4xE is interesting but not on a vehicle that is designed to get you away from electrical outlets.

I guess the problem is simply just having choice. I kind of wish it were the old days of having the 3.6 and that's it. I'll likely be getting the XR package so I'll have the 3.6 etorque and I'm sure it will be great. It seems ridiculous to not be able to choose a clear winner, but maybe there isn't.
For me, the 3.6L withOUT eTorque and manual Trans was the lesser of all evils! The six-speed is an Aisin transmission which is good and my commute to work is not too far and without heavy, stop/go traffic. I saw some youtube videos about using the manual with 4L gearing and it works well. You can keep it in first and just take your foot off the clutch and the car will lug itself over rocks effortlessly without the need to give us throttle. The crawl ratio with the stick is really good and that allows you to just keep moving at idle. I won't be doing much of that anyway plus I really didn't want the etorque or the Italian four-banger engine. Lastly, this combo was the cheapest and with the soft top, I managed to keep the price under $50K OTD.

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I've got a BMW M2 that is FAST but sounds like $hit!!! Don't think I can handle 2 vehicles that sound like butt.
To each their own, at least I won't get mistaken for a straight piped 350Z.

Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I drove a 4xe back June but there haven't been jeeps on the lots here since.
I drove the 4xe at my dealership and wasn't impressed. You feel the battery give you quick torque off the line then you step on it and the engine ramps up and sounds like crap. plus the window sticker and price were eye-watering. I really didn't want to play Russian roulette with my finances on a first-gen brand new electric mild-hybrid system from a company not really known for its steller reliability record. I will wait for the second or even third-gen and see how it goes. ;)

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Do all of the above and gain even more TQ/HP and better sound? I just put the AFE muffler delete on our 2019. Did it more for the ground clearance as there were several dents/scrapes in the muffler. Dropping 20-30lbs off the back of the Jeep, the muffler no longer turning the rear floor storage in to an oven, and the improved sound were just bonuses for $130. Superchips tune is likely the next mod up though.
wouldn't that just void your warranty? Or has yours lapsed already?

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
People sure do find some stupid stuff to complain about.
To be fair, this is a big decision for a depreciating product. Good news is the fact that Stellantis is offering a variety of engine choices that can please most anyone looking for a wrangler.

I personally would go for the small 4 cylinder. Light, easy to work on, less moving parts, and cheaper to repair.

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
3.6 sounds way better than the turbo

idk why itā€™s so unbelievable to people that thereā€™s a lot of us that prefer the v6.
As long as youā€™re happy with the choice you made itā€™s all good.

But V6 sounds better than the 2.0 šŸ˜‰
I am not going to argue this. The v6 sounds so much better, hands down. Sound is less important to me than mpg nowadays.

I can only imagine how amazing the v8 sounds.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR

I have owned both a 2020 JLUR in 3.6 auto non eTorque and a 2021 JLUR with the 2.0T auto non eTorque. Both with 33ā€ tires and then both with 35ā€ tires.

What you really lack with the 2.0T vs the 3.6 is a confident sounding engine. Otherwise the 2.0T is a heck of a lot more fun to drive and a bit better on MPG. You can be heavier on the throttle and still get equal or better MPG compared to moderate throttling with the 3.6.

Off road, other than the weak sound of the 2.0T, they are equally good. The 2.0T does become noticeably peppier at higher altitudes then the 3.6 if that matters to you.

My .02
Sponsored

Last edited: