Sponsored

The worst engine choice. The 392.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Don’t want to sound blunt, but the 392 is the worst choice only for people who can’t afford it. It’s definitely a toy for the fairly well off. Does it perform on par with the other engines on the trail or highway? Who cares, people buying one don’t care about the comparative parameters. It’s just stupid fun and an instant collector car. Nothing more to analyze.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jkuhn1113

jkuhn1113

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JLWillys (2 door), YJ
Occupation
Missouri Army National Guard
I disagree wholeheartedly! The 392 might be the worst engine choice for YOU, however it is the BEST and ONLY engine choice for us ;)

My wife and I rode motorcycles all over the united states from 2000 to 2016. It was our hobby and preferred choice of vacation together. We did eventually grow tired of having severe weather patterns disrupt our vacations, so we sold the motorcycles and bought several sport cars for our getaways, including in this order; 2014 Camaro SS Manual 6-SPD, 2018 Camaro ZL1 10-SPD, and then a 2016 Z51 Corvette 7-SPD. The ZL1 was certainly the fastest but the corvette was by far the most fun with it's raw sounds and the way you felt connected to the road and also the environment around you. However, not too practical for some of the places we like to visit and also kind of awkward climbing in an out of.

The Jeep 392 provides the raw fun we are looking for and certainly does not insulate its passengers from the environment! It is also way more practical than a Vette and certainly easier to climb in an out of :)

We consider the Jeep 392 as more of a thrill seekers choice and provides an ultimate experience that absolutely cannot be found in ANY of the other Jeep Wrangler models. 😎 🍻
You don’t agree that the 392 is cool?

You're right though. The 392 is far more practical than a motorcycle or sports car.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
Don’t want to sound blunt, but the 392 is the worst choice only for people who can’t afford it. It’s definitely a toy for the fairly well off. Does it perform on par with the other engines on the trail or highway? Who cares, people buying one don’t care about the comparative parameters. It’s just stupid fun and an instant collector car. Nothing more to analyze.
Agreed! First post of this thread started with a long list of 392 shortcomings, but then ended with a weak "parachute" statement of "it's so cool" as an attempt to soften the blow. Been watchin' a little too much Fonzie, me thinks ;) See these types of threads by the envious on just about every forum that contains a high-end model, usually by people who do not own the high-end model. The 6th Gen Camaro forums were full of ZL1 haters! This will be my 2nd Jeep. My first was a 1990 4-door Jeep Cherokee w/ 4.0L engine. Had great character and torque in comparison to similar vehicles at that time. Loved it! Every vehicle I have had since then has always had some type of "performance" element to it, and the 392 was the ONLY reason I am buying a wrangler now!

I see so many choices for the Wrangler now, which is a good thing and a compliment to the Jeep Team. I can also easily see how each choice is the BEST choice for each person, depending on taste and objective. Awesome job to FCA & Jeep Build Team for allowing us to have this awesome choice and for such a powerful Wrangler :muscle:

JLUWillys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392XR , 23 LR DEF110, 23 Sprinter AWD
All I can say is 392XR is the best thing I have ever owned from Jeep.. Sure I may not do extreme rockcrawling in it.. but it can take me were I need to fish/swim/dog walk etc..

It is the best tracking wrangler out of the box I have owned.. and actually the stock suspension does great on the highway and turns (for a wrangler) . sure it's not a sports car.. but man for a wrangler .. this thing is fantastic.. This may be the first wrangler I own that I don't care about lifting it for a while.. or changing anything mechanical .. so when you think about it.. that saves a ton of money.. so that's where I can justify the price..

all you need to do to smile is start it.. the rest is just added bonus..

Sponsored

cgrosen324

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
All I can say is 392XR is the best thing I have ever owned from Jeep.. Sure I may not do extreme rockcrawling in it.. but it can take me were I need to fish/swim/dog walk etc..

It is the best tracking wrangler out of the box I have owned.. and actually the stock suspension does great on the highway and turns (for a wrangler) . sure it's not a sports car.. but man for a wrangler .. this thing is fantastic.. This may be the first wrangler I own that I don't care about lifting it for a while.. or changing anything mechanical .. so when you think about it.. that saves a ton of money.. so that's where I can justify the price..

very well stated!!!

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392

Wholeheartedly agree as well. I could never own another non 392 current Jeep after this beast. I’d take an old I-6 project or even a CJ-5 or earlier with anything for the nostalgia, but there will always be a 392 in the stable, never giving this up

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
That Scat Pack Challenger V8 exhaust rumble needs to be experienced in person. Every video that I have seen of the wrangler 392 exhaust sound doesn’t do it justice.
Or how to describe that shake just as it fires on a cold start. Kinda like some beast shaking off sleep

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
It’s the only SUV muscle car on the market besides the MB G Wagon.
Enterprise Exotics had a G-Wagon near me. I was pitching the guys behind the counter that we throw some proper tires on it and take it off-roading :LOL:

Sponsored

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Besides Jeep limiting your options for interior color, small exterior color palette choices, and required options on the 392...
Serious question - Is there any chance that Jeep offers more exterior colors on 392s before the end of the 23 model year? Petty as it sounds, the complete lack of interesting exterior colors and the poo colored interior stitching is one of the biggest things keeping me from getting a 392 and never looking back.

As often as people say this is a fun vehicle for people who can afford it, I would expect MORE options and flexibility from Jeep, not less. Like what Dodge is doing with the Jailbreak Hellcats.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
id love to have one if i could afford it.....
that or an Escalade V model coming out this year lol. but i cant afford either so ill admire from afar. Continuing to enjoy the Jeep i could afford and bought :):rock:

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
Curious what the delta in gas mileage is for the 392 vs the 3.6 on the highway under heavier loads? I have the 3.6 w 37", 4.88, 6MT, and extra weight (winch, armor, lighting, etc.) and I would dip to < 10 mpg on the highway going up slight inclines w a 400# trailer in tow (two kayaks). Guessing the 392 w AT would strain far less and get better mpg....
You're actually not far off in your speculation here. Have a 2020 3.6 JL running 37's and re-geared to 5.13 to be able to use 8th gear again. I tow a 3,000 lbs Offroad trailer, and have a RTT on both Jeeps, and so far the 2022 392 XR is getting better mileage with the trailer on the back than the 3.6 ever did, and it is so much more relaxing to drive. The 3.6 thrashes the motor on every incline, even if you're not pushing it hard. The 392 just breezes up even the steepest inclines without breaking a sweat, and still has more than enough power to pop from 60-75 in an instant.

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
It’s the only SUV muscle car on the market besides the MB G Wagon.
Admittedly not in the same category as the JL in terms of off-road capability, but BMW has a couple of SUV's in the X3 and X5 family's that are are very much muscle cars. Wife has an X3 M40i that will pull a 4.1 second 0-60 and handles like it's on rails. The X3 M Competition Package (503 HP and 442ft.lbs.)is 3.7 sec 0-60. That's faster than my Z4 M40i in the the other garage bay at 3.9 sec 0-60.

For sure not the same vehicles, but very impressive for AWD SUV's.

That being said, I'd love to test drive a 392! On second thought, it's probably best I don't do that...

;);)

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
Admittedly not in the same category as the JL in terms of off-road capability, but BMW has a couple of SUV's in the X3 and X5 family's that are are very much muscle cars. Wife has an X3 M40i that will pull a 4.1 second 0-60 and handles like it's on rails. The X3 M Competition Package (503 HP and 442ft.lbs.)is 3.7 sec 0-60. That's faster than my Z4 M40i in the the other garage bay at 3.9 sec 0-60.

For sure not the same vehicles, but very impressive for AWD SUV's.

That being said, I'd love to test drive a 392! On second thought, it's probably best I don't do that...

;);)
Yes, those are very good SUV performers, however most enthusiast don't consider 4 & 6 cylinder vehicles "muscle cars" 😉 . They are also no match for the chiseled, rugged looks of the Wrangler😎. It’s almost an anomaly that the tough looking, non aerodynamic profiled Wrangler 392 performs so well :muscle:
Sponsored

Last edited: