Sponsored

Anyone else concerned about tire size/choice and the performance hit?

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
If you do it right when you get it, you won’t know the difference! 😁
Doing pretty much this! Have ~500 miles so far, so barely broken in and haven't really pushed it yet...37s arrive this week. Should still be fast enough, and certainly faster than other JL options.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RELBUS

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
37s and 4.88s should feel like performance gains from stock. Even 4.56s should do it.
I'd prob lean towards 4.56's - my commute has me on the highway at 80+mph daily. While this is not a daily driver, and just a toy, - there will be times I take it on highway cruises. My TJ is geared too aggressively for highway, and I'd hate for the JL to end up like that.

OP
OP
RELBUS

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Doing pretty much this! Have ~500 miles so far, so barely broken in and haven't really pushed it yet...37s arrive this week. Should still be fast enough, and certainly faster than other JL options.
What lift, tires, wheels you go with? I only have 125ish miles on mine so far...already called discount and no 35" ridge graps to be had at the moment according to them. Might have to check on 37's..

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
What lift, tires, wheels you go with? I only have 125ish miles on mine so far...already called discount and no 35" ridge graps to be had at the moment according to them. Might have to check on 37's..
Not adding a lift, but adding 37" Ride Grapplers on Fuel Shok wheels (-12 offset). Installer thinks that should work for clearance. Fingers crossed!

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm on 38s and running 4.88. I love it. I also ran the 4.10s for a year before I upgraded. They worked.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My CJ7 had 33s and back then they were huge. I went to "lifted badass 4x4 101" in the 70s. The 33s will be fine on the 392. 99% of the owners of such will put on big tires for no other reason then looks. The rest that will wheel with them could do what they do with the 33s. The rest of us should just blow their doors off at stoplights.
The extra 2+’ of wheelbase a jlu has over a CJ7 kind of makes the comparison apples to oranges. Break over angle on 37’s is probably close to a CJ7 on 33’s. Factor in the much improved handling, much larger wheel openings, and the cringe factor of dragging the belly of a $75k rig on the rocks and I wouldn’t run less than a 37” tire on a JLU that sees anything more challenging than a dirt road. We wheeled our 2019 stock for the 1st year and was amazed just how mild an obstacle would cause rubbing on the skids, frame, etc. We’ve been on 37’s since august, and still drag the belly more often than we ever did in a TJ or even an XJ on 35’s. Add the fact that so many people are running around on 40’s or larger, the ruts and holes are much bigger than they were back when 35’s were considered massive. 40’s are the new 35’s.

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The extra 2+’ of wheelbase a jlu has over a CJ7 kind of makes the comparison apples to oranges. Break over angle on 37’s is probably close to a CJ7 on 33’s. Factor in the much improved handling, much larger wheel openings, and the cringe factor of dragging the belly of a $75k rig on the rocks and I wouldn’t run less than a 37” tire on a JLU that sees anything more challenging than a dirt road. We wheeled our 2019 stock for the 1st year and was amazed just how mild an obstacle would cause rubbing on the skids, frame, etc. We’ve been on 37’s since august, and still drag the belly more often than we ever did in a TJ or even an XJ on 35’s. Add the fact that so many people are running around on 40’s or larger, the ruts and holes are much bigger than they were back when 35’s were considered massive. 40’s are the new 35’s.
If you're worried about rubbing, get real skid plates. The ones the JL comes with are junk.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If you're worried about rubbing, get real skid plates. The ones the JL comes with are junk.
Rubbing is fine, constant dragging go for bigger tires. The only way to improve the break over angle is more clearance. 2.5” lift and 37’s does wonders for that. The Jeep is still far more stable than a stock cj or yj both on and off road. The fact that you’re on 38’s says you already know that?

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Seems Jeep is already coming out with a Recon Xtreme model 392 which will give you c load 35 inch K02's and 456 gears. I think over time I may copy that build and add the same. Should keep the same performance of the 33's with the 35s since they are also C load and not that heavy and with the 456 gears I think it would be just as fast and fun.

lol already.PNG

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Is anyone else concerned about the performance hit the 392 will take when adding larger tires? This thing is so freaking fun, I hate to lose any of that. I had 37's on my last JLUR, and it felt great. This thing just feels so great as is, I am reluctant to sacrifice performance. Considering just bumping up to 35's in an effort to prevent a drastic performance loss. The other par of me felt like my last JLUR on 37's was perfect looks wise and I fear I wont be satisfied with anything less than 37's. First world problems over here!
Unsprung weight increases are a huge hit. So much so, I have decided against different wheels/tires for my Rubicon. (not a 392 but same math applies)
Find a friend with the size you are looking for and swap for a day, do the Pepsi challenge.

Sponsored

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Unsprung weight increases are a huge hit. So much so, I have decided against different wheels/tires for my Rubicon. (not a 392 but same math applies)
Find a friend with the size you are looking for and swap for a day, do the Pepsi challenge.
Wouldn't lighter wheels have the opposite effect for your Jeep then? Like keep the same tires but get lighter better wheels and you will have a decent performance gain?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Wouldn't lighter wheels have the opposite effect for your Jeep then? Like keep the same tires but get lighter better wheels and you will have a decent performance gain?
100%. However, the last time I looked there were no aftermarket options lighter than my factory wheels. Tire weights also factor in.
I went from 29 lbs wheels on my VW to 15 lbs... The performance increase was dramatic.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Is anyone else concerned about the performance hit the 392 will take when adding larger tires? This thing is so freaking fun, I hate to lose any of that. I had 37's on my last JLUR, and it felt great. This thing just feels so great as is, I am reluctant to sacrifice performance. Considering just bumping up to 35's in an effort to prevent a drastic performance loss. The other par of me felt like my last JLUR on 37's was perfect looks wise and I fear I wont be satisfied with anything less than 37's. First world problems over here!
Nope!
37's (or larger) and regear. Next question. :)

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Quick question -

The 392 comes with 285/70-17 Falken Wildpeaks when specced with MT, right? Tirerack has them listed at 61lbs per tire. 315/70-17 BFG KO2s in C load range are listed at 65lbs. What's the big deal moving to those? I know adding weight at the wheel has a bigger impact but still. Am I missing anything (at least in this scenario)?

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
I had the same concerns. My 2018 JLUR had 37“ Ridge Grapplers and it ran and looked great. Moving to the 392, the last thing I wanted to do was kill the performance gains with bigger tires so I installed 35” Ridge Grapplers. The performance did decrease, but very slightly from what I could tell. In reality, I am not flooring the accelerator at every green light or taking it to the drag strip. Now that I have about 2,000 miles on these 35’s, I think 37’s will be totally fine even without re-gearing. The torque on this 392 is insane. The other reason I went with 35’s for now is that no suspension mods were required. Once some 392 lift kits become available, I will definitely consider moving to 37’s. I hope that helps.
Sponsored