The Tire Carrier Thread

FastDNA

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’m waiting for Anthony at Roam to finished testing his bumper / tire carrier. He gets the issues and seems to have remembered the license plate and camera/3rd brake light.
Sponsored

bentaxle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Finally mounted my spare using Smittybilt bracket , not a bad product mounted up rather easy.One thing that I had to do is cut the OEM tire carrier so the wire would fit back into the tail gate.Leaving the wire in the stock position makes it impossible to to get the wires and grommet back into the tail gate.

20180915_115040.jpg

20180915_112013.jpg

Badboylopez

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Finally mounted my spare using Smittybilt bracket , not a bad product mounted up rather easy.One thing that I had to do is cut the OEM tire carrier so the wire would fit back into the tail gate.Leaving the wire in the stock position makes it impossible to to get the wires and grommet back into the tail gate.

20180915_115040.jpg

20180915_112013.jpg
That’s the same setup I have and I can’t keep the tire from bouncing/vibrating on big bumps. I’ve tried everything. I’ve torqued all the bolts, PVC bumpstop extension, even removing the mopar reinforcement bracket and that only made things worse. I’m starting to think it’s the Smittybilt bracket. Reading reviews, people who purchased the Rough Country bracket haven’t had any issues. Is your tire vibrating on big bumps?

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
We can offer you something nobody else can :) A camera extension/relocation kit as well as a stout bumper+carrier combo which allows swing arm operation while retaining full camera function! :like:

dsc03793.jpg

dsc03001.jpg
Does this bumper also retain the stock tow hook? Just curious.

bentaxle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That’s the same setup I have and I can’t keep the tire from bouncing/vibrating on big bumps. I’ve tried everything. I’ve torqued all the bolts, PVC bumpstop extension, even removing the mopar reinforcement bracket and that only made things worse. I’m starting to think it’s the Smittybilt bracket. Reading reviews, people who purchased the Rough Country bracket haven’t had any issues. Is your tire vibrating on big bumps?
Seems pretty strong so far on the road,no vibration or bouncing .

20180915_183239.jpg

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Does this bumper also retain the stock tow hook? Just curious.
You could probably run it, but we provide rock solid D ring mounts as well as a hitch adapter that works very well so there's really not much need for the stock one.

Edit: We checked and you can't use it due to the lower surface structure of the bumper. There are several thick surfaces in the way :)

Last edited:

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
32F0C843-8D49-4057-AD45-4E63F5F28A1C.jpeg

Ace engineering is coming out with a tire carrier very soon. This looks beefy. Can’t wait for them to release more info.
If and when they ever release this I will give it a try, Smittybuilt has one coming out too this month so who wants my money first??

Sponsored

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had the exact same issue with the smittybilt and sensor issues to boot. I went to the newer RC bracket that lifts the tire just over four inches and both problems are solved.

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I have the same bracket, without reinforcement and it does vibrate over exceptionally big bumps, but it happens regularly. I can't decide if its a real problem, but I hate it.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@ROAM rear bumper/carrier
Unfortunately not one handed operation yet, but I'm told that is in the works. It is rattle free, and has one of the best departure angles for a bolt on rear bumper that I've seen.
DSC_0906.JPG
DSC_0934.JPG
Bar none the best rear bumper design I've seen, just hope they add the swingout with tailgate functionality AND accessory mounts, for things like rotopax cans, maybe an over the tire basket, etc...then it will sell like crack in detroit.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same bracket, without reinforcement and it does vibrate over exceptionally big bumps, but it happens regularly. I can't decide if its a real problem, but I hate it.
It was significant enough that I took it off within just a few days and went with the RC bracket. The RC bracket solving my sensor issues was an extra benefit.

Hailchaser

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
5CC23D81-898C-4C09-A644-0CDDBB3DB9C4.jpeg
We can offer you something nobody else can :) A camera extension/relocation kit as well as a stout bumper+carrier combo which allows swing arm operation while retaining full camera function! :like:

dsc03793.jpg

dsc03001.jpg
Really happy with the LOD bumper/tire carrier. Waited several months for the release and glad I did.
Sponsored