First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
@Rubi-Zero @kobejo34 @Puckn19
Any of you using anything to cover the gap left by the removal of the stock hinges? I saw some foam tape as one suggestion on another thread but just curious what the three of you are doing as I’m leaning towards this carrier to replace the Mopar set up + hockey puck hack to better secure the 37 spare. Any feedback on having the whole thing powder coated before install? I know some said rattle can spray might be better for easier touch up.

@Motobilt
Any suggestions on what to use to cover the gap left from the install?
I haven’t used anything to cover the gap either.
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My Mopar tailgate reinforcement arrived, and I’ve got a couple of questions about the installation for those of you that have done it.

Since it installs directly onto the tailgate, does the metal on metal scratch the paint all to hell? Did anyone do anything to prevent this? I’m thinking of maybe spraying the rear of the reinforcement with plastidip. Are the T55 hinge bolts difficult to remove? They’re painted in place on the hinge.

DrDas

First Name
IceDr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My Mopar tailgate reinforcement arrived, and I’ve got a couple of questions about the installation for those of you that have done it.

Since it installs directly onto the tailgate, does the metal on metal scratch the paint all to hell? Did anyone do anything to prevent this? I’m thinking of maybe spraying the rear of the reinforcement with plastidip. Are the T55 hinge bolts difficult to remove? They’re painted in place on the hinge.
I installed mine along with the reinforced tire carrier (Mopar) last month. I have 37" tires that are quite large and heavy. I didn't have any issues removing the T55's, but I used an impact wrench that made the job a lot easier. As for the paint, I didn't scratch it, at least that I have noticed. You probable already installed yours as this post is a few weeks old, but that was my experience. The only issue I have now is that the tailgate latch has actually dropped 1/8-1/4" and "clunks" when I close it. That has to be a hinge issue, but I am at a loss to know what to do about it. How about yours - is the tailgate aligned at the latch end and does the tailgate close properly?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I installed mine along with the reinforced tire carrier (Mopar) last month. I have 37" tires that are quite large and heavy. I didn't have any issues removing the T55's, but I used an impact wrench that made the job a lot easier. As for the paint, I didn't scratch it, at least that I have noticed. You probable already installed yours as this post is a few weeks old, but that was my experience. The only issue I have now is that the tailgate latch has actually dropped 1/8-1/4" and "clunks" when I close it. That has to be a hinge issue, but I am at a loss to know what to do about it. How about yours - is the tailgate aligned at the latch end and does the tailgate close properly?
I have installed mine and it’s been a week or so, but I haven’t driven around with it yet. I bought mine used so it didn’t come with the cardboard shims to use for the installation. I made my own. I used them when removing the hinge bolts to install the plate and I’ve got the tiniest bit of sag. Maybe one mm or so. It doesn’t drag or clunk.

I’d suggest removing everything and reinstalling it using shims to ensure the tailgate stays in the proper position while the bolts are out and doesn’t sag.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread image

Sponsored

DrDas

First Name
IceDr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have installed mine and it’s been a week or so, but I haven’t driven around with it yet. I bought mine used so it didn’t come with the cardboard shims to use for the installation. I made my own. I used them when removing the hinge bolts to install the plate and I’ve got the tiniest bit of sag. Maybe one mm or so. It doesn’t drag or clunk.

I’d suggest removing everything and reinstalling it using shims to ensure the tailgate stays in the proper position while the bolts are out and doesn’t sag.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread image
I did use the cardboard shims and marked the tailgate with a grease pencil, but it still clunks. I am going to remove/reinstall it and use a few plastic furniture shims this time to ensure a more firm support when doing so. As for you, I don't think you'll have any issue even after driving as I have had my vehicle bouncing around quite a bit and it has not shifted at all. I just have an installation (lack of paying attention when doing so) issue.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just pulled the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier, because I can no longer wait for them to release the hinged tailgate reinforcement. I went with the Cavfab Elite complete unit, and had it powder coated to match the Mopar steel front bumper. The Jeep no longer notices the 38x13.5 spare. It's solid as a rock. I highly recommend their products. I also installed their Ultra High Clearance bumper at the same time. I opted for the highest setting, to favor drop off clearance.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread 20201223_135240_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread 20201223_135529

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Anyone else with the poison spyder carrier have an annoying thumping noise when going over bumps at slow speeds? The tires tight on the carrier and everything is bolted down tight. I can’t seem to pinpoint the source of the noise though. Going over small potholes on a gravel road at like 15 makes the thing sound like it’s going to fall off.

50322EDC-FDE8-41BA-96A9-1004345B306B.jpeg

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Anyone else with the poison spyder carrier have an annoying thumping noise when going over bumps at slow speeds? The tires tight on the carrier and everything is bolted down tight. I can’t seem to pinpoint the source of the noise though. Going over small potholes on a gravel road at like 15 makes the thing sound like it’s going to fall off.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread 50322EDC-FDE8-41BA-96A9-1004345B306B
Mine started quiet, then slowly started making more and more noise. Tightened up the turnbuckle a little and it's silent again. It won't feel like it's loose when you push on it by hand, but take that 100lb wheel and give it a good jolt going over a bump and it will move enough to knock. If that doesn't do it, the only other thing to check would be that your pivot bolt is tight.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Mine started quiet, then slowly started making more and more noise. Tightened up the turnbuckle a little and it's silent again. It won't feel like it's loose when you push on it by hand, but take that 100lb wheel and give it a good jolt going over a bump and it will move enough to knock. If that doesn't do it, the only other thing to check would be that your pivot bolt is tight.
Awesome. Thanks man. I’ll check that today after work and see how it goes. Definitely seems like it could be the culprit.

Sponsored

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
So I tightened up the turn buckle a little bit and it helped tremendously. It still makes a little noise going over bigger bumps but all the chatter on washboard type surfaces and smaller bumps is gone. Thanks man.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
No talk about the Rusty’s off road tire carrier? I’ve been running the EVO one but have been really disappointed. Looking to upgrade to Rustys.