Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, great this thread is still going! I looked back at my original post and then the update I posted last winter.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-2dr-sport-only-thread.15647/page-18#post-973784

Surprising how your Jeep can evolve and not realize it. Very happy with the upgrades I've made but the as you push the limits of your rig it just highlights more opportunities to improve it.

Since my last post in this thread I went with Raceline simulated bead locks and 35" Milestars. Very happy with the setup. They are a bit heavy though 107#'s tire and wheel although the Milestars measure a true 35". I selected those wheels anticipating they would get scuffed up and since they are natural colored scratches would not stick out so bad. That's working out pretty well. The Rubicon takeoff axles are working out perfect and the stock 4:10 with the automatic is the sweet spot for this tire size (on our lighter two doors). I see 8th no problem on the highway. With the 2-1/2" RK lift I had a lot of fender interference so I trimmed the lips and added the AAL high line fender lights for the Sahara fenders (no, I don't want Rubicon fenders). I tuned the suspension so there are just enough bump stops to protect the shocks. Why have shocks with 12" of travel only to stunt them with bump stops?

Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread G04X1u5OfXIYQJkXkY7k5PVkA=w1231-h923-no?authuser=0

Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread qkilQcGlDdW-nzCOd9i6TSJ-g=w1231-h923-no?authuser=0

Finally got around to making my rear bumper to compliment the front I made. I raised the hitch up for more clearance, frenched in the license plate for better protection (most aftermarket bumpers leave you with no mounting locating) and added recovery points up high so they don't hang down causing a snag point when backing up. VERY pleased with the Hooker Blackheart exhaust. Tucks way up, reasonably priced but doesn't have an obnoxious sound. Just slightly louder than stock but no drone on the highway. Added Motobuilt diff covers and they paid for themselves already. The front one took a pretty hard hit that probably would have crushed the stock cover.

Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread SuzyppGQCkr8xgyzmn7IP5qbQ=w1231-h923-no?authuser=0

Very pleased with the Synergy steering components. Tie rod has some evidence of getting whacked pretty good but everything is holding up fine. Multiple day long highway trips and it tracks straight and true. Have had to adjust the steering box multiple times but it seems to have settled down now, minimal to no play. Steering stabilizer is a whole nother story and have a separate thread on that. It's off in the picture for some repairs (my fault).

Have full M.O.R.E skids and they have been great. Again reasonably priced but work.

Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread -jcP8x_QQigBnuiKNx0hFf-WQ=w1231-h923-no?authuser=0

Some recent wheelin trips have highlighted some areas that could use improvement though. I think diff skids are in order and those rear lower shock mounts have got to go. I could see the advantages of going with a bigger tire but not ready to commit to gears and beefier axle shafts but that's only way I would do it.

Overall I'm thrilled with the 2dr sport and have no regrets. I'm having a blast wheeling with it and enjoying doing mods to it. It's interesting out on the trail with fellow Jeepers and the 4dr and 2dr are just as capable but in different ways. Some obstacles a 4dr goes over with ease where I struggle and then vise a versa but the turning radius on the 2dr is the clear winner.

Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread vnDE_g9GwmN5_KDc7oMnqvn-Q=w1231-h923-no?authuser=0

Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread 8G4UIkaWhzHIjB1Vvl8Oj7EKw=w1231-h923-no?authuser=0

Typical Northeast trail:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TlEtdkJ4X3NiRy1vOU1VWWhRbDhDaGhkeUZGdWR3
Sponsored

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone. After my first JL sport 2DR was totaled. I have just purchased this one. I loved the silver, but I am digging the Hella Yella for sure.

Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread 8G4UIkaWhzHIjB1Vvl8Oj7EKw=w1231-h923-no?authuser=0
I'm glad you are okay after an accident. Congratulations on the latest acquisition. Jeep Wave.

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Going to start the order process for a 2-door sport for my oldest son tomorrow. This is his first vehicle that he’s going to pay for.

Any advice from you guys?
Sport or Rubicon? Guidance would be based on that.

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How so, your missing all the “rubicon” stuff, lower transfer case, and lockers with better front axle.
Willys is no better than a sport if you plan to upgrade it. Ie suspension , wheels,tires Then the “willys” isn’t worth it
Agreed (and from a 15x Wrangler buyer).

Sponsored

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We’re going with a Sport S
I've seen some terrific guidance already. But given your sons vocation through the Forestry service (all Wrangler Riders will genuinely appreciate and thank him), I would start with the Rubicon takeoff suspension kit and wheels you have mentioned. We all know a Wrangler can get through almost anything with that setup. Maybe add the Rubicon or Rugged Ridge high profile fenders and bump up to 35" tires. Because he will spend so much time crawling maybe you add onboard air capability. The ARB Dual Air Compressor is terrific. Also, an inexpensive front bumper that can hold a winch and carry a very good recovery kit. I like what Kevin at [Banned Site] did early-on with his JL 4DR . That would be fun, easy to do, and inexpensive.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
I bought my 2019 JL Sport Jan 2020 to fulfill something I had been holding onto since the mid 70s as a teenager after a summer spent with my friend in his dad's new yellow CJ5. I finally just got the tires I wanted and added my favorite color (yellow) to get closer to my vision of my perfect Jeep. This Sport has met every expectation.
Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread Sept 20 Jeep 100_5074.JPG

Sponsored

Chris.steger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
Base Model, Only option being A/C, Came with a soft top but I bought a second hand hard top for the winter. Should be putting some 31s on in the summer. Edit: Oh and also got a hitch put on.

Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread Sept 20 Jeep 100_5074.JPG
Congrats!!! Love the White 2 Door.... Kinda wish i would have waited for White and not get Red.. But Red is great as well...

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
30 years ago, I carpooled with a guy who owned a CJ and I've wanted a Jeep ever since. But more "practical" vehicles were a higher priority at the time. Now that we are emptynesters, our 2-door Jeep is just perfect!

Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread Screenshot_20200918-150553_Gallery

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
I bought my 2019 JL Sport Jan 2020 to fulfill something I had been holding onto since the mid 70s as a teenager after a summer spent with my friend in his dad's new yellow CJ5. I finally just got the tires I wanted and added my favorite color (yellow) to get closer to my vision of my perfect Jeep. This Sport has met every expectation.
Jeep Wrangler JL The 2Dr Sport Only Thread 20200918_162043
Looks good! What size tires are those?
Sponsored