Sponsored

2018 2dr JL Sport, security input needed.

Beachcomber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
So with now owning my third Wrangler which is a brand new 2018 JL 2dr Sport, what are your thoughts on securing the vehicle theft wise? Not items inside but the vehicle itself from being stolen. Is the current version of the sentry ignition theft immobilizer viable? Or would I be better off having the Ravelco installed? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The factory anti theft system will only activate if the door is opened and/or the ignition button is pressed without it sending the fob. It won't activate if a scumbag pops the window just wanting items, not the whole vehicle. Most thieves are wise to the limits of factory anti theft. Knowing to not open the door, they tend to prefer the passenger front for easy reach to the glove box and center console, unless theres something juicy through a different window. They also don't strike the window with blunt force to break it. They stab through the windows weatherstripping to get on the inside of the glass and they pry outward using the window frame as a fulcrum. It takes a fraction of the force and less noise with that method, which is a plus for them. Unfortunately, the owner gets greeted in the morning to not only a broken window, but a damaged window frame that needs repair before a new window is installed.

Disclaimer: I'm not one of the above mentioned scumbags. This happened to my previous car a few months after deciding on trading in for a Wrangler and just a couple weeks before ordering my Rubicon. I never got a police report and filed a claim with insurance. My brother and I straightened the window track enough for me to pay safelite out of pocket for new glass. The trade in value lost because of the visible sheet metal damage was less than having a red mark on the VIN.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Not my personal experience, but my main Jeep'n bud had his '18 JLUR stolen in the middle of the day this summer, in broad daylight, in a public parking lot, and was only away for 10 minutes. Today he is having a Ravelco installed as we speak on his 1 month old replacement 2019 JLUR so he can have another layer of theft deterrence. The police told him the thieves probably targeted him, followed him, cloned his fob code when he locked it, waited till he was out of sight, unlocked the vehicle with their clone, push button start to get it going, and drove off. Insurance wise he is still working for coverage of his mods ($10k+) since he hadn't specifically had that coverage in his policy. I am considering either the Ravelco or a kill switch of some kind, and I am curious what others think of thieves cloning our FCA fob codes. Does Jeep/ FCA security and encryption provide a lower than average level of protection compared to the industry average? I have a manual trans and use the transfer case in neutral trick when I park somewhere questionable, especially if the doors are off, but it seems almost nothing can stop the most skilled thieves.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
What was the punishment for horse thieves in the old west again?
Sponsored