Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Going to start the order process for a 2-door sport for my oldest son tomorrow. This is his first vehicle that he’s going to pay for.

Any advice from you guys?
Rubicon or sport?

If sport, make sure to get the dana m220 upgraded axle.

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Rubicon or sport?

IMHO, First vehicle payment, sport. Jeeps are expensive enough, let alone getting into the higher trim levels. If he has sufficient income and can tolerate the higher price, then Rubi.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon or sport?

Definitely Sport. Maybe a Sport S or Willys depending on the deal we can get.

He worked and saved up about $12k and he can trade his truck that his grandpa gave him. So that’s another $8k I think.

He’s a senior in college (forestry) so a 4x4 is necessary and his truck is not

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Willy’s has been labeled (by some) as a budget Rubicon, probably not a bad place to start.
How so, your missing all the “rubicon” stuff, lower transfer case, and lockers with better front axle.
Willys is no better than a sport if you plan to upgrade it. Ie suspension , wheels,tires Then the “willys” isn’t worth it

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
How so, your missing all the “rubicon” stuff, lower transfer case, and lockers with better front axle.
Willys is no better than a sport if you plan to upgrade it. Ie suspension , wheels,tires Then the “willys” isn’t worth it
@Trauma Jeep

Well I do have the take off suspension and wheels/tires from my wife’s rubicon. So I def don’t want to pay to upgrade that. I’m thinking that you can get the M220 axle on sports now correct?

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
@Trauma Jeep

Well I do have the take off suspension and wheels/tires from my wife’s rubicon. So I def don’t want to pay to upgrade that. I’m thinking that you can get the M220 axle on sports now correct?
You need the anti spin rear differential option. It is narrower than the Rubi with a different gear.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You need the anti spin rear differential option. It is narrower than the Rubi with a different gear.
Yep, has the same 3:45 gear as the rest of the Sport/Sahara line, but w/ that option you also get better AT tires vs. the All Seasons that come on the base Sport.

Ours is a Sport S which has power windows, locks, ugly aluminum wheels, but still worth the upgrade IMO. Only other option we got was the Hardtop.

Since you have Rubi takeoff tires and suspension the only other thing I'd say is a "must" would be the slightly longer Mopar lift Lower Control Arms, they are about $70 and will keep the caster in the 6 degree range for best on road manners :)

Here's my install thread on the Rubi suspension & LCA swap
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got back from the dealership. Couple of things, in 2021 you can’t get a hardtop on a sport or sport s. He didn’t want that but I thought it was interesting. There is a 80th anniversary package that costs about $9k that loads it up.

I think he’s probably going with a sport s with the 23S package. Adding the anti spin diff and the tech group which gives him the 7” screen. Also included is the destination fee of $1495, red paint fee of $245 and soft top window storage bag of $75. Comes out to $34,600 MSRP and the invoice was $33k and some change.

Hoping to get 5% under invoice which is about $32k. Does all this sound reasonable?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So I just got back from the dealership. Couple of things, in 2021 you can’t get a hardtop on a sport or sport s. He didn’t want that but I thought it was interesting. There is a 80th anniversary package that costs about $9k that loads it up.

I think he’s probably going with a sport s with the 23S package. Adding the anti spin diff and the tech group which gives him the 7” screen. Also included is the destination fee of $1495, red paint fee of $245 and soft top window storage bag of $75. Comes out to $34,600 MSRP and the invoice was $33k and some change.

Hoping to get 5% under invoice which is about $32k. Does all this sound reasonable?
Does sound reasonable, got our 19 Sport S w/ Hardtop V6 & 8AT (think that was pkg 24S) for $32k, didn't get the D44 Rear :(
Not having a hardtop option doesn't sound at all right for a Sport S, something sounds amiss there, would double check that for sure just in case he changes his mind about wanting one.

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Going to start the order process for a 2-door sport for my oldest son tomorrow. This is his first vehicle that he’s going to pay for.

Any advice from you guys?
My daughter (19) learnt to drive with my basic Sport S and drive it for a year and loved it. So I don't think you need all the bells and whistles. She even bought her own new car this past March (Chevy Spark) and didn't want all the bells and whistles, just the hands free options with the radio and phone. Yeah, I know, Spark:facepalm: I tried steering her to Jeep, but she was scared to pay that much (18k vs 32k). At least she was thinking ahead of her payments:like:
Edit: only thing I would add would be anything but the 5"!
Sponsored