Tazer Mini or OBD JScan?

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Hey John..yeah, my guess would be that your Carista isn't or may not be, or is unknown as to being compatble with the Jscan app.

Clearly you may have more accurate 411 than me, but what I can say is that I derive these conclusions from the absence of the Carista here:

jscan.net/supported-and-not-supported-obd-adapters/

You may also contact the Jscan developer on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/obdjscan

I acquired the Jscan device to add proximity locks and he was super responsive. In fairness though, people say the same good things about Joe at Z Automotive--the Tazer's parent company.

Please note, if you don't already know, that you will need a "12+8 cable" to interface the ports under the dash, on the left side of the steering wheel, with whatever ODB II device you end up with.

Here is a link to the one I have--by no means the only one out there---in fact I think it's also sold at the prior link I provided:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PTBZ6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for functionality, I see here http://jscan.net/faq/ that tire size changes are supported, but I'm not sure on TPMS thresholds or splash screen changes. Again, best to reach out to the developer or perhaps others here will chime in with more definitive answers.

What I can see from here https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl-mini/ though is that the Tazer Mini seems to support all the functions you wish.

One more thing, regardless of which product route you take, I personally found this cable worth the money.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/

You can get it cheaper directly from the Chinese manufacturer (links upon request) but expect it to take longer to receive.

This cable isn't required, it's just a glorified "extension cord." that makes plugging in either your ODB II device or the Tazer Mini easier. The ports the FCA provides are difficult to get to, and make it difficult to remove the existing cables temporarily. The extension cord allows you to do it only once...it's like that electrical outlet at home that you need access to, empty on one of its two outlets, behind the kitchen refrigerator. You don't have to move the refrigerator, but the worth of this extension cord IMHO decreases the less you access these ports.

Since you'll have to remove those two cables at least once, the technique that I've found works is to press the release level on each cable, pull the cable gently a little bit (it probably won't release) then let go of the release lever and grab the cable end on both sides and pull straight down.

Not throwing out my back is worth $30 to me.
Thanks for the super detailed response! So I went ahead earlier after reading and ordered a new obd2 adapter that was listed on JScan’s site as supported and I ordered the security bypass. I checked the app out and did “demo” mode and it does show the ability do everything I asked for. If it is too hard for me to reach I’ll order that other extension. Thanks!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the super detailed response! So I went ahead earlier after reading and ordered a new obd2 adapter that was listed on JScan’s site as supported and I ordered the security bypass. I checked the app out and did “demo” mode and it does show the ability do everything I asked for. If it is too hard for me to reach I’ll order that other extension. Thanks!!
You can order a bypass cable for like $25 but if you want you could also order the SGW bypass plug from Zauto and leave it plugged in all the time and then all you have to do is plug the BT OBDII module in when you want to make changes and no more plugging in/out, this SGW is about double the cost but makes things easier.

The second choice is to use the $25 bypass cable and then either leave it plugged in and tucked out of the way or remove everytime.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You can order a bypass cable for like $25 but if you want you could also order the SGW bypass plug from Zauto and leave it plugged in all the time and then all you have to do is plug the BT OBDII module in when you want to make changes and no more plugging in/out, this SGW is about double the cost but makes things easier.

The second choice is to use the $25 bypass cable and then either leave it plugged in and tucked out of the way or remove everytime.
Hey Will. Would you be able to provide a link to the SGW bypass plug from Z Automotive that you referenced just prior?

I had suggested that John @XxsullyxX123 acquire the SGW Extension Cable, https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/ also from Z Automotive (or its Chinese manufacturer that Joe from Z Automotive sources it from, at a slightly cheaper price but much longer wait time.) My suggestion of course isn't a mandatory purchase, just one that makes the hook up of either a Tazer or an ODB II device less strain on the back.

By no means do I have expected you to see that in my long post if you didn't. But regardless, I am trying to understand how your cable suggestion may be different from mine. In fact it sounds better.

Thanks.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Will. Would you be able to provide a link to the SGW bypass plug from Z Automotive that you referenced just prior?

I had suggested that John @XxsullyxX123 acquire the SGW Extension Cable, https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/ also from Z Automotive (or its Chinese manufacturer that Joe from Z Automotive sources it from, at a slightly cheaper price but much longer wait time.) My suggestion of course isn't a mandatory purchase, just one that makes the hook up of either a Tazer or an ODB II device less strain on the back.

By no means do I have expected you to see that in my long post if you didn't. But regardless, I am trying to understand how your cable suggestion may be different from mine. In fact it sounds better.

Thanks.
Heres the link https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/

you basically unplug the connectors like you would to plug them into the cable but instead unplug them then plug them right back into the SGW bypass module then you can plug any scanner into the OBD port and the SGW bypass module is a pass thru module so even when the dealer plugs into this it does not create an issue.

Using the above module you don’t have to keep unplugging and plugging back in after your done, makes it’s a bit tidier with no extra cabling under the dash.

This module will not work with the Tazer mini or lite but does work with OBDll BT scanners, if you plan on using like the mini then your cable is the one to go with.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks Will. I'm a bit confused.

....So your linked product makes a Jscan ODB II device hookup easier (just plug it into the ODB II port) while the extension cable I linked, that's cheaper, makes hookup of either an ODB II device or a Tazer Mini easier????

This question can be born entirely of my ignorance here. Sorry.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Will. I'm a bit confused.

....So your linked product makes a Jscan ODB II device hookup easier (just plug it into the ODB II port) while the extension cable I linked, that's cheaper, makes hookup of either an ODB II device or a Tazer Mini easier????

This question can be born entirely of my ignorance here. Sorry.
No worries brother, the Zauto SGW bypass module allows one to use the OBDII port for something like this http://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/ or similar but you can’t use it with the cable you linked, that cable only is helpful if your using a Tazer mini or lite.

In my case since I use JSCAN if I were to get the Zauto bypass module I could unplug from the SGW module then plug into the bypass module and then just plug my OBDII BT module of your choice and use JSCAN without having to unplug anything and leave it that way since it’s a pass thru module, this does raise the cost of using JCAN quite a bit but makes things easier by not having to be trying to unplug those connectors from the SGW

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Viecar adapter and the security bypass cables arrived today. $20.99 license for JScan and my Recon now has the proper splash screen. Easy peasy (although as expected it was a little work to get the security cables off and then back in). I’m stoked that it was that easy and now I am all set for when I lift and go bigger tires to handle TPMS and the tire size.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The Viecar adapter and the security bypass cables arrived today. $20.99 license for JScan and my Recon now has the proper splash screen. Easy peasy (although as expected it was a little work to get the security cables off and then back in). I’m stoked that it was that easy and now I am all set for when I lift and go bigger tires to handle TPMS and the tire size.
I’m guessing you have about $70 invested, that alone would not come close to having the dealer set your tire size, you will find JSCAN super easy and full of features

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m guessing you have about $70 invested, that alone would not come close to having the dealer set your tire size, you will find JSCAN super easy and full of features
Amazon now charges tax, so about $4 more than that haha. Very pleased though

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Amazon now charges tax, so about $4 more than that haha. Very pleased though
Lots of programmers out there like Jscan, Tazer, Flashcal etc...and they all have good products and most have excellent customer support but you hon cant be Jscan for the cost, there are a few things that one does over the other but in the end $75 to get the basics done is a sweet deal.

Sponsored

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of programmers out there like Jscan, Tazer, Flashcal etc...and they all have good products and most have excellent customer support but you hon cant be Jscan for the cost, there are a few things that one does over the other but in the end $75 to get the basics done is a sweet deal.
Agreed. I was set on the Tazer, but stumbled across the Jscan given I’d only want to do a few things (Likely) and i have comfort using OBD2 adapters and iOS apps from well regarded developers because I used that Carista app and adapter on my Audi S4 with success for checking CELs, clearing codes, changing settings, etc. JSCAN is very similar.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@XxsullyxX123 one option and it’s pricy on the SGW bypass and it’s one I have considered is to get the SGW bypass module from Zauto, it’s like $70 but you don’t have to keep unplugging and plugging in cables, but even if someone were to get that SGW bypass module along with the Viecar and Jscan license it’s still not a bad price compared to other programmers.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I missed this, but is there. Tutorial on how to hook all of this up? All of my stuff arrives Monday, and I’d like to start using the Jscan to get my lights all set up.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
@Shak14 See this thread I did quite awhile back, it will give you an idea on what to unplug, once you unplug your connectors from the SGW you will take your 12+8 cable and plug those connectors into it and then plug in your BT OBD module and do your thing

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-smart-stop-start-showdown.21707/
Successfully installed and paired everything for the JScan. Got the license and was able to go in and mess with stuff. Just need to install new fenders with LEDs and then start playing with the light settings.
Sponsored