Sponsored

Tazer Mini or OBD JScan?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@BlackGenesis

Personally, I would not fool with the IBS Sensor settings. @Jebiruph , I believe ... feels the same as I do.

Also, Tazer JL "Live Functions" are the icing on the cake so to speak.... like the cream.... JSCAN is lacking..

Just to be clear though, I am not knocking JSCAN. Reality is though, JSCAN and the Tazer JL are different animals.....
Sponsored

cchambers74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Having used both, in addition to the Flashcal, not that there is anything wrong with any of them but I actually found Jscan to be my favorite and also find it extremely easy to use. On a total side note I had a question about switching a LED headlight function on, I sent the Jscan folks a message through their Facebook page at like 1am and about 10 minutes later somebody was helping me, I'm assuming thats not normal and I just happened to get one of the developers and code writers and he walked me right through it, so that also left a good impression,..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Having used both, in addition to the Flashcal, not that there is anything wrong with any of them but I actually found Jscan to be my favorite and also find it extremely easy to use. On a total side note I had a question about switching a LED headlight function on, I sent the Jscan folks a message through their Facebook page at like 1am and about 10 minutes later somebody was helping me, I'm assuming thats not normal and I just happened to get one of the developers and code writers and he walked me right through it, so that also left a good impression,..
@cchambers74

I had a similar experience with JSCAN and someone there getting back to me within minutes... they even made a video by the next morning just to educate me ... to show me exactly..

Also have had Joe @ ZAutomotive call me up and personally assist me in the middle of the night, on a weekend, a Holiday and well a few times.. I was a very very early adopter of the original Tazer JL (Spring 2018) and I think both Joe and I were in learning mode lets say, in regard to the Tazer JL... Ho, ho ho...

Having used both JSCAN and the Tazer JL, I prefer ZAutomotive's Tazer JL and Joe's handholding..

I would not own a FlashCal (yes, I have fooled with one) if you gave me one free and paid me monthly to use it..

I ran with a Tazer JL for well over 2 years and then gave it to a Son.

Decided to try JSCAN... had minimal needs and I like to tinker lets say... so... Anyway, I was /am impressed with JSCAN but no, it is not a Tazer JL Mini by any means ... and and, no Joe.

JSCAN does what I need done though.... but must admit, I sorely miss some of the Tazer JL, "Live functions"..

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I have change few thing up in my post, lol.
Excluding live features for which you have to have Tazer plugin in, I dont see anything useful that Tazes has to offer over OBDjscan.

Someone needs to try out changing intelegent battery sensor settings to see if ESS will be disabled. Vehicle should indicate that ESS not available as system is charging. That's what mine been saying for the past year.

Screenshot_20210213-183211_OBD JScan.jpg
I have played around with the IBS part of JSCAN but only to tweak my battery charge settings as I run a Genesis dual system, I’m personally not a fan of the smart charging system and currently am testing it with IBS set to off and the alternator throws 14+ volts all he time and so far it’s working pretty well as this keeps my batteries at peak and I have seen no ill effects of doing this, I think it’s basically the same as unplugging the IBS

I never look at the ESS screen as I run a smart stop/start module so that’s one aspect of the JSCAN I don’t use .

I have had some interaction with the Jscan folks and it’s always been pleasant and they seem very open to giving support and open to suggestions on the software.

Robicon-JLU

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Surprised no one mentioned the JScan live functions. I’m still learning the JScan app but am very impressed with all the other tests and info you can get from it that the Tazer can’t do. (For the record, I own both so I’m familiar with the Tazer)

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Surprised no one mentioned the JScan live functions. I’m still learning the JScan app but am very impressed with all the other tests and info you can get from it that the Tazer can’t do. (For the record, I own both so I’m familiar with the Tazer)
I to have owned both and both are excellent products, the Tazer is simpler for those that are not comfortable with the techie stuff and their support is solid, JSCAN does not have like a tech support direct line as it’s done thru FB but they are fairly quick to get back to you.

The biggest advantage for JSCAN over the Tazer is the cost as it’s a lot less, one can do JSCAN for less than $75 total investment if you shop around for the best pricing on the cable and OBDII BT Module, the pricing for the VIN license is fixed

BoiledDogs

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Gun Bunny
I recently purchased all the parts and license for Jscan and for 80 bucks, I was able to reprogram the speedo and change a few settings here and there. If you are just looking at the basics, you can't go wrong with Jscan and you can reuse the OBD reader (and little bypass dongle if you have other newer FCA vehicles) on other vehicles.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have both and I prefer the JScan. It’s a simple decision, though: do you want to use the Tazer live features? Then go Tazer. If none of those appeal to you, save the money and go JScan.

I found myself not using the live features of my Tazer, so I removed it. I don’t miss any of its features. The Tazer is a fine thing indeed, but I prefer the app interface of the JScan over the dashboard interface of the Tazer.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Rather than reiterate many of the wise things already said above, I think I can add some useful commentary by better explaining/delving into what it means for something to be a live function.

I own Jscan. I bought it, and it worked perfectly for me to enable proximity locks for my Sahara that I didn't purchase new with that accessory. Of course I also needed to buy the hardware to do this, and the procedure is well covered here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nstructions-parts-links-on-jl-wrangler.49241/. The maker of Jscan proved very accommodating, updating his software with 24 hour turnaround to get this capability available. And as said, Jscan is cheaper, including the ODB II reader and 12+8 cord purchased separately than the Tazer Mini.

That said, the Tazer Mini is also an awesome product with caring staff supporting it as well.

But the married Tazer Mini I believe will always be better at playing the role of your Jeep "enthusiast kid," a.k.a. live functions.

To point, if I said, "son, daddy's going to enable the rear camera to turn on even though we're not in reverse. In about 8 seconds that camera will turn off because that's the way it was designed to work. So, to keep it on, I want you to press the camera button every 7 seconds."

That's the kind of stuff the married Tazer Mini excels at. It's software will turn things on and off for you, repeatedly and with precise timing, or/and determine their state, to extend the functionality of your rig, from ESS disablement to light shows, to the aforementioned backup camera always on. I'm pretty sure that is how, for example, the Tazer Mini keeps the backup camera on: not by tricking the FCA software, but simply working with it...pushing that dang camera on button, via software, faster then every 8 or so seconds. I imagine the principles behind the light show are no different.

And it is likely that Jscan will never be able to do such things.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As stated by lots hear both offer a lot and you as a Jeep owner have to decide what you want, I don’t need a light as my Jeep is not a parade 4x4 but as stated the Tazer excels in a lot of things but for just the meat and potatoes of basic changing things like tire size and TPMS limits and some other basic stuff you can’t go wrong for $75 and there in no marry and unmarry process as all you are doing is changing the setting I; the ECU so if the dealer flashes it you just change it back.

I as an early supporter of the Tazer and still have a huge respect for Joe and his group but if you want basic and want cheap JSCAN hands down.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
As stated by lots hear both offer a lot and you as a Jeep owner have to decide what you want, I don’t need a light as my Jeep is not a parade 4x4 but as stated the Tazer excels in a lot of things but for just the meat and potatoes of basic changing things like tire size and TPMS limits and some other basic stuff you can’t go wrong for $75 and there in no marry and unmarry process as all you are doing is changing the setting I; the ECU so if the dealer flashes it you just change it back.

I as an early supporter of the Tazer and still have a huge respect for Joe and his group but if you want basic and want cheap JSCAN hands down.
Will, you reminded me of something.

As a Jscan user who bought it to enable proximity locks, please know that anytime I bring the vehicle into the dealer and a flash of it by the dealer is required (not often) I need to use the Jscan app and harware to reenable those proximity locks.

This is not a hard process, nor as mentioned a frequent one. But I point it out to surmise that other JScan settings might as well need to be reset post dealer flashing of your JL, FWIW.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Gee-pah you are correct, anytime the dealer flashes your ECU if you have changed things using the Jscan you will need to go back in and reset, if I recall correctly when using the Tazer you have to unmarry as this puts things back to stock and if you forget to unmarry I believe some have reported issues when they plug the Tazer back in if they have forgotten to unmarry but I’m not 100% sure on that, I personally like JSCAN a lot, very simple and very cost effective.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Hey gents, I am getting ready to lift and go bigger tires on my Recon, and also wanted to change the splash screen to “Rubicon” as for some reason the Wrangler Rubicon Recons only show “Wrangler“.

Realistically, all I am interested in doing is:
-Tire size
-TMPS threshold (can i set this lower to 25 like tazer, or only turn off?)
-Splash screen (Wrangler, Sahara, Rubicon)

From my Audi, I have a Carista bluetooth dongle that I was just about to get rid of, but it looks identical to the Viecar adapter (the unit itself and packaging), which is one of the Jscan recommendations. So I could give it a try with the JSCAN app before buying a new adapter if i went that route. I was originally going to get Tazer Mini just because it seems to be the de facto unit, but I would never use live functions and I dont want to mess with much. In fact, I’d have gone with the Lite version or a procal snap, but neither changes the splash screen which is one of the things I’d want to change if I’m going to make changes while I’m in there. Does this app do the few things I’m looking for ?

Thanks!

Edit: It does not work with the Carista obd2 hardware despite being Bluetooth 4.0 LE and the proper ELM327, so it looks like I have to also buy an adapter If this solution works

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey gents, I am getting ready to lift and go bigger tires on my Recon, and also wanted to change the splash screen to “Rubicon” as for some reason the Wrangler Rubicon Recons only show “Wrangler“.

Realistically, all I am interested in doing is:
-Tire size
-TMPS threshold (can i set this lower to 25 like tazer, or only turn off?)
-Splash screen (Wrangler, Sahara, Rubicon)

From my Audi, I have a Carista bluetooth dongle that I was just about to get rid of, but it looks identical to the Viecar adapter (the unit itself and packaging), which is one of the Jscan recommendations. So I could give it a try with the JSCAN app before buying a new adapter if i went that route. I was originally going to get Tazer Mini just because it seems to be the de facto unit, but I would never use live functions and I dont want to mess with much. In fact, I’d have gone with the Lite version or a procal snap, but neither changes the splash screen which is one of the things I’d want to change if I’m going to make changes while I’m in there. Does this app do the few things I’m looking for ?

Thanks!

Edit: It does not work with the Carista obd2 hardware despite being Bluetooth 4.0 LE and the proper ELM327, so it looks like I have to also buy an adapter If this solution works
Hey John..yeah, my guess would be that your Carista isn't or may not be, or is unknown as to being compatble with the Jscan app.

Clearly you may have more accurate 411 than me, but what I can say is that I derive these conclusions from the absence of the Carista here:

jscan.net/supported-and-not-supported-obd-adapters/

You may also contact the Jscan developer on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/obdjscan

I acquired the Jscan device to add proximity locks and he was super responsive. In fairness though, people say the same good things about Joe at Z Automotive--the Tazer's parent company.

Please note, if you don't already know, that you will need a "12+8 cable" to interface the ports under the dash, on the left side of the steering wheel, with whatever ODB II device you end up with.

Here is a link to the one I have--by no means the only one out there---in fact I think it's also sold at the prior link I provided:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PTBZ6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for functionality, I see here http://jscan.net/faq/ that tire size changes are supported, but I'm not sure on TPMS thresholds or splash screen changes. Again, best to reach out to the developer or perhaps others here will chime in with more definitive answers.

What I can see from here https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl-mini/ though is that the Tazer Mini seems to support all the functions you wish.

One more thing, regardless of which product route you take, I personally found this cable worth the money.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/

You can get it cheaper directly from the Chinese manufacturer (links upon request) but expect it to take longer to receive.

This cable isn't required, it's just a glorified "extension cord." that makes plugging in either your ODB II device or the Tazer Mini easier. The ports the FCA provides are difficult to get to, and make it difficult to remove the existing cables temporarily. The extension cord allows you to do it only once...it's like that electrical outlet at home that you need access to, empty on one of its two outlets, behind the kitchen refrigerator. You don't have to move the refrigerator, but the worth of this extension cord IMHO decreases the less you access these ports.

Since you'll have to remove those two cables at least once, the technique that I've found works is to press the release level on each cable, pull the cable gently a little bit (it probably won't release) then let go of the release lever and grab the cable end on both sides and pull straight down.

Not throwing out my back is worth $30 to me.
Sponsored