"Switches" under the hood

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
OK I know there are a lot of switches under the hood on my JLU but there are two that have bugged me ever since I first lifted the hood on my Jeep. They are on the right front under the hood. They look like plungers more than switches but I can see wires coming out of the bottom. They are pushed in when the hood in closed.

Are these to indicate the hood is open?

TNX!
Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
The switch closest to the driver side fender is the switch for the ESS start/stop system.

OP
OP

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
The switch closest to the driver side fender is the switch for the ESS start/stop system.
OK how does that work? I don't see how the hood being open or closed has anything to do with the ESS. Besides, that switch was hung in the down position. A very small drop of oil solved that problem.

Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
OK how does that work? I don't see how the hood being open or closed has anything to do with the ESS. Besides, that switch was hung in the down position. A very small drop of oil solved that problem.
Check out this video, it shows what the switch is for and how to disable the ESS system. The ESS system will not work if the hood is open, just one of many reasons why the ESS system won’t work. Your switch being stuck in the down position would satisfy the ESS system that the hood was closed but in reality it could have been open, of course you won’t drive with the hood open lol.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The other switch warns you that the hood is not closed. A warning light appear on the dash cluster stack.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
The sad story is that NEITHER switch triggers the alarm system if the hood is opened by a Ne'er-do-well. "Hmm, nice Wrangler you got there...going to dinner now? We'll watch it for you..."

That is why we have accessory Hood Locks from Mopar, Bolt, Rampage Products, and likely others. After waiting almost a year for the original Mopar hood lock in 2018-19, I finally received the kit, which included a new grill insert. With the Mopar kit I had to manually key the lock core to my ignition key, tumbler by tumbler; it worked, but what a pain. I later bought a Bolt trailer receiver lock, and I can affirm that their one-turn-key-to-your-key system is both amazing and convenient!

I believe one of the Tazer devices can use one of the switches for alarm purposes, but I have no experience to confirm.

Good luck!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The sad story is that NEITHER switch triggers the alarm system if the hood is opened by a Ne'er-do-well. "Hmm, nice Wrangler you got there...going to dinner now? We'll watch it for you..."

That is why we have accessory Hood Locks from Mopar, Bolt, Rampage Products, and likely others. After waiting almost a year for the original Mopar hood lock in 2018-19, I finally received the kit, which included a new grill insert. With the Mopar kit I had to manually key the lock core to my ignition key, tumbler by tumbler; it worked, but what a pain. I later bought a Bolt trailer receiver lock, and I can affirm that their one-turn-key-to-your-key system is both amazing and convenient!

I believe one of the Tazer devices can use one of the switches for alarm purposes, but I have no experience to confirm.

Good luck!
Yes, the Tazer has a feature that allows one of those plungers to activate the alarm if someone opens the hood. I can most definitely confirm that it works as intended, because I forgot all about that feature and set it off when I went to install a winch shutoff solenoid. The factory horn is no slouch when it comes to volume, especially when standing right in front of the Jeep. I damn near pissed myself when it went off.
Jeep Wrangler JL "Switches" under the hood 3X5A4a

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It is there to prevent the ESS from working when the hood is open. There are probably other scenarios, but one is that a driver could stop the vehicle and hold the brake pedal while a person opened the hood and had their hands in the path of the rotating components and the drive let up on the brake pedal slightly that allowed ESS to start the vehicle without moving.

Similarly, my GM truck with remote start, will not remotely start with the FOB when the hood is open for similar safety concerns.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@ECRI-Kevin

If I'm not mistaken ECRI is writing the data to allow switches to alarm once hood is opened when alarm is energized.

FYI I highly recommend ECRI they are hands down one of the best. (NOT PAID TO STATE) lol
Sponsored