First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I almost always leave my windows off, unless the forecast says there will be a lot of rain. Then, I use the sunrider position quite often so my baby can ride in the back area. There isn't enough room for her if the soft top is all the way down. That is the main benefit I see. If the baby isn't in the back, then I definitely have the top all the way down.

And now, the baby at 10 months old...

upload_2019-6-3_14-56-36.jpeg

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I almost always leave my windows off, unless the forecast says there will be a lot of rain. Then, I use the sunrider position quite often so my baby can ride in the back area. There isn't enough room for her if the soft top is all the way down. That is the main benefit I see. If the baby isn't in the back, then I definitely have the top all the way down.

And now, the baby at 10 months old...

upload_2019-6-3_14-56-36.jpeg
That scenario actually makes a lot of sense - topless in the front and some shade for the pooch with the top out of her way!

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I use sunrider all the time when driving streets. I have a newborn so I want the top up when he's in the vehicle. Too much hassle to have to put windows on and off all the time. If the blow out, I guess they are saying it's my problem.

I was doing safari prior to him being born.
I've noticed exhaust fumes on the highway while in safari though, which kind of sucks.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
That scenario actually makes a lot of sense - topless in the front and some shade for the pooch with the top out of her way!
She absolutely loves it. However, there is quite the collection of dried drool accumulating on the driver side of the vehicle in the back there.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I'd appreciate any such feedback by others who have driven at highway speeds in sunrider mode and windows in place.
I’ve driven mine quite a bit with the side and rear windows in with the top in sunrider position and have had no problems. I was very concerned the first time at 55 mph (for 1.5 hours) but had no issues. I did have the rear windows rolled down as well, so my dog could hang her head out. Maybe that helped alleviate some of the pressure on the soft top windows.

City driving I don’t give it a second thought. Highway speeds are a concern but I’ve no problems yet. Just ensure you have the windows securely installed.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Right, and that's the way I read it, but the steps for fully lowering the top proceed from there and don't start with step 1, remove the rear windows.
I can see it both ways, but I do think they want you pulling them or they would have said it.
I see it your way, independent of whether I follow it. I think you're selling yourself short Chris.

I say this because the steps for lowering the top that proceed in the manual, and that you reference above, may not start with step 1 as you say, but they do start with "from the Sunrider position," which is a state of being, if one follows the prior instructions of the manual, you only get to after you took out all the soft windows.

The manual has lots of stuff that's like this. Take p. 405. "Start the engine of the donor battery's vehicle and let the engine idle a few minutes."

Really, why, I ask rhetorically--the answering being that it has little to do with charging up the donor battery from a vehicle you just turned off to connect the cables if you followed the manual, and rather has everything to do with, on the 3.6L, charging the ESS battery.

I've yet to see a tow truck turn off its engine as per this procedure. And without that recrank, so too is the engine idle step likely to be skipped, the tow tech not realizing the importance of the ESS battery charge step in the 3.6L, which IMHO should have been documented in the manual. You should not have to have the knowledge of a dealer to jump start your vehcile. The what AND whys should be spelt out in the manual when needed, like here.

But I digress. ; - )

Macchiato

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport S
Ok, I just pulled out the owner's manual. It says nothing about this. Page 43 and 48 are listed as the only two pages concerning the soft top. In neither area does it really talk about sunrider position other than to say there are straps to hold it in place in the sunrider position

There is a supplemental that came with the Jeep new that has operational instructions and it says the exact OPPOSITE of this. I will attach a photo as proof.

It clearly states in the supplemental " For sunrider feature follow steps 3&4 only." Steps 3 and 4 are to unlatch the front, then push it back. Then it shows clearly above the mirror on the top to NEVER operate sunrider only position without the windows on!

This whole post is nonsense.
20190603_184611.jpg
20190603_184621.jpg
20190603_184733.jpg

Garweft

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
1) Lots of roads, especially around town, aren’t highway speed. I’m almost entirely in roads listed at 55 or below.

2) I drive my 2dr soft top, going 65 in a 55, in the sun rider position with the windows in because I’m a bad boy rule breaker.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Back to the OP's point it's also worth noting that not everywhere is a highway. I pop the sunrider all the time to avoid dealing with the rear windows on a nice day. Driving through city/town roads is a blast.

Macchiato

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport S
Ok, I just pulled out the owner's manual. It says nothing about this. Page 43 and 48 are listed as the only two pages concerning the soft top. In neither area does it really talk about sunrider position other than to say there are straps to hold it in place in the sunrider position

There is a supplemental that came with the Jeep new that has operational instructions and it says the exact OPPOSITE of this. I will attach a photo as proof.

It clearly states in the supplemental " For sunrider feature follow steps 3&4 only." Steps 3 and 4 are to unlatch the front, then push it back. Then it shows clearly above the mirror on the top to NEVER operate sunrider only position without the windows on!

This whole post is nonsense.
20190603_184611.jpg
20190603_184621.jpg
20190603_184733.jpg
Also - never operate the soft top in the sunrider position without the side windows on for one obvious reason, the reason they put that warning photo right there where you operate the latches. When you remove the side windows you are removing the hard plastic C pillars that are structural. The soft top back latch was never meant to hold the whole soft top up without the plastic C pillars by itself with 60mph winds!.

The safari look only works because the latches are on the front to hold it all in place.

Macchiato

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport S
Back to the OP's point it's also worth noting that not everywhere is a highway. I pop the sunrider all the time to avoid dealing with the rear windows on a nice day. Driving through city/town roads is a blast.
See my post above yours.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Also - never operate the soft top in the sunrider position without the side windows on for one obvious reason, the reason they put that warning photo right there where you operate the latches. When you remove the side windows you are removing the hard plastic C pillars that are structural. The soft top back latch was never meant to hold the whole soft top up without the plastic C pillars by itself with 60mph winds!.

The safari look only works because the latches are on the front to hold it all in place.

My jeep doesnt have that warning sticker nor does it mention that anywhere in the manual about not running sunrider with the windows out.
Ive done that a few times going 80+mph with no issues. Doesnt mean i should or that it wont break anything, it just means they better warranty it if it does since i dont have those restrictions listed anywhere lol

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ications/en-us/Jeep/2018/Wrangler_JL/9510.pdf

upload_2019-6-3_16-43-33.png

Macchiato

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport S
My jeep doesnt have that warning sticker nor does it mention that anywhere in the manual about not running sunrider with the windows out.
Ive done that a few times going 80+mph with no issues. Doesnt mean it wont break anything it just means they better warranty it if it does since i dont have those restrictions anywhere lol

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ications/en-us/Jeep/2018/Wrangler_JL/9510.pdf

upload_2019-6-3_16-43-33.png
Ok, I posted pics of the supplemental saying leave the windows on, and showed a photo of my brand new, one month old JL with that warning sticker on the actual soft top. Not sure how much more clear it could be. My guess - things were breaking so they put up the warning sticker. Do not run the soft top in sunrider position without the windows on.

Clear as day my manual, supplemental and warning sticker.
Sponsored

Last edited: