Sponsored

Sunrider position pointless?

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What is the point of the sunrider position on the JL?

I had an LJ and I could flip the top back behind the front row quite easily and without removing rear windows. It was a nice, quick alternative. I believe the same was true with JK’s. I understand you have to remove the rear windows in the JL because they are not secured by zippers and they’ll blow out at highway speeds if you don’t.

With the JL the easiest part of taking the top down is the last step where you drop it from the “sunrider” position to fully down. So who benefits by not taking that last step? People that want to save ten seconds? The only other answer I can come up with is people who want the top down driving at lower speeds with the windows in place.

I’ve only had my soft top on a week, so please let me know if I’m missing anything.
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

I had an LJ and I could flip the top back behind the front row quite easily and without removing rear windows. It was a nice, quick alternative. I believe the same was true with JK’s. I understand you have to remove the rear windows in the JL because they are not secured by zippers and they’ll blow out at highway speeds if you don’t.

With the JL the easiest part of taking the top down is the last step where you drop it from the “sunrider” position to fully down. So who benefits by not taking that last step? People that want to save ten seconds? The only other answer I can come up with is people who want the top down driving at lower speeds with the windows in place.

I’ve only had my soft top on a week, so please let me know if I’m missing anything.
Here are my opinions Chris:
  • I like the Sunrider product because as a Dual Top owner it serves as a nice transition top in Spring and Fall, between Winter fully hard top with Freedom Panels, and Summer Soft Top
  • For many, the Sunrider product's ability to open and close from within the cabin makes it more valuable than either soft top for the JL in that Sunrider position. Once, I too was skeptical until Floridian owners talked about how when traveling highway speeds into a Summer thunderstorm traveling on the opposite direction, the ability to shut the top without having to pull over was a big plus. Now.....I have a Sunshade under it, which makes its opening and closing more like the OEM Soft top, but Bestop, I hope will release its retractable sunshade (for the Sunrider product) soon and I too will be able to open and close the Sunrider product from within the cabin.
  • I've never had an issue with keeping the soft top in Sunrider position and driving at highway speeds while keeping all the soft top windows in place.
  • You may not find that moving the soft top from Sunrider position to fully open is an issue. But you have to do so from outside the JL and remove the soft windows. For many drivers, the open air feel being simply above their heads with the Sunrider product, along with its (easier) ease of use is fine.

The Sunrider product is awesome. I'd hazard a guess to say its the number 1 most liked JL accessory, but it does the product no disservice to say that it's not right for all. It's really marketed to Hard Top owners, who may also have a Soft top.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Here are my opinions Chris:
  • I like the Sunrider product because as a Dual Top owner it serves as a nice transition top in Spring and Fall, between Winter fully hard top with Freedom Panels, and Summer Soft Top
  • For many, the Sunrider product's ability to open and close from within the cabin makes it more valuable than either soft top for the JL in that Sunrider position. Once, I too was skeptical until Floridian owners talked about how when traveling highway speeds into a Summer thunderstorm traveling on the opposite direction, the ability to shut the top without having to pull over was a big plus. Now.....I have a Sunshade under it, which makes its opening and closing more like the OEM Soft top, but Bestop, I hope will release its retractable sunshade (for the Sunrider product) soon and I too will be able to open and close the Sunrider product from within the cabin.
  • I've never had an issue with keeping the soft top in Sunrider position and driving at highway speeds while keeping all the soft top windows in place.
  • You may not find that moving the soft top from Sunrider position to fully open is an issue. But you have to do so from outside the JL and remove the soft windows. For many drivers, the open air feel being simply above their heads with the Sunrider product, along with its (easier) ease of use is fine.

The Sunrider product is awesome. I'd hazard a guess to say its the number 1 most liked JL accessory, but it does the product no disservice to say that it's not right for all. It's really marketed to Hard Top owners, who may also have a Soft top.
You’re really mixing the sunrider for hardtop and the sunrider position on the soft top in here. This is all about the soft top.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't.
Almond joy has nuts, mounds don't

That being said, WTF don't they make dark chocolate almond joys?

And the windows won't blow out in sunrider position, personally I am not a fan of it, I always complete the process and put it completely down, windows come out too easy and top drops with a handle...throw it into safari if it starts raining.
But I hate windows and doors soooooo

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You’re really mixing the sunrider for hardtop and the sunrider position on the soft top in here.
You're right, I am. And it's easy to get confused with the language. That's why I say Sunrider product versus Sunrider position.

This is all about the soft top.
That's where I respectfully disagree. It's not all about the soft top. It can't be IMHO.

The Sunrider product, a subject of this thread, is a hard top accessory. When comparing the product to the Sunrider position of an OEM soft top, premium or basic, I don't see how you can simply can't make the discussion all about the Soft top--but if you can explain how, I'm all ears.

I'd certainly see your point if the Sunrider product was capable of being a soft top accessory.

: - )

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
You're right, I am. And it's easy to get confused with the language. That's why I say Sunrider product versus Sunrider position.

That's where I respectfully disagree. It's not all about the soft top. It can't be IMHO.

The Sunrider product, a subject of this thread, is a hard top accessory. When comparing the product to the Sunrider position of an OEM soft top, premium or basic, I don't see how you can simply can't make the discussion all about the Soft top--but if you can explain how, I'm all ears.

I'd certainly see your point if the Sunrider product was capable of being a soft top accessory.

: - )
This thread is ENTIRELY about the soft top. You just don’t seem to understand the OP. The sunrider position for the hardtop is what is being questioned here, because the manual tells you to pull the windows, then fold it to the sunrider position. It’s only one step away from fully retracted. The sunrider for hardtop has no such requirement to fold it back and can be done from inside the vehicle. The sunrider position on the soft top is good for keeping your dogs or cargo out of the sun, I guess.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This thread is ENTIRELY about the soft top. You just don’t seem to understand the OP. The sunrider position for the hardtop is what is being questioned here, because the manual tells you to pull the windows, then fold it to the sunrider position. It’s only one step away from fully retracted. The sunrider for hardtop has no such requirement to fold it back and can be done from inside the vehicle. The sunrider position on the soft top is good for keeping your dogs or cargo out of the sun, I guess.
Oh! You are correct! I am sorry. Thanks for pointing that out--seriously.

I picked a fine day to not have my Snickers bar. Mea culpa.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

….

Ok. Now, having taken my Arisept (yuc, yuc) I understand the questions posed.

Chris--it's great that things that bother others you see as non-issues....really.

But for some that last step isn't the easiest because you have to remove the windows, and if taking them with you, find a place to store them, and not scratch them, and put them back on.

Cudos to FCA for making the window movement easier with the "C" channels on the JL, but my own opinions on this irrelevant, apparently enough of the market agrees for vendors like this to come to market https://mytop.us/ .

You make a good Wrangler owner sir--I say as complement. You see as non-issue that which whining sedan owners complain about. : - )

Sorry for my initial confusion as to the problem space.

It's also possible that after only a week of usage, this hasn't become a hassle to you.

OP
OP
cjaama

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Ok. Now, having taken my Arisept (yuc, yuc) I understand the questions posed.

Chris--it's great that things that bother others you see as non-issues....really.

But for some that last step isn't the easiest because you have to remove the windows, and if taking them with you, find a place to store them, and not scratch them, and put them back on.

Cudos to FCA for making the window movement easier with the "C" channels on the JL, but my own opinions on this irrelevant, apparently enough of the market agrees for vendors like this to come to market https://mytop.us/ .

You make a good Wrangler owner sir--I say as complement. You see as non-issue that which whining sedan owners complain about. : - )

Sorry for my initial confusion as to the problem space.
Sorry, but you're still confused.
In the owner's manual it says you must remove the rear windows prior to putting it in sunrider position. I'm saying once you've removed them and stored them (and yes, that part is the biggest pain in the ass), the easiest part is pulling it back from sunrider to fully lowered.
Others are saying they ignore the manual and just leave the windows in while in sunrider mode. This scares me.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
In the owner's manual it says you must remove the rear windows prior to putting it in sunrider position. I'm saying once you've removed them and stored them (and yes, that part is the biggest pain in the ass), the easiest part is pulling it back from sunrider to fully lowered.
Others are saying they ignore the manual and just leave the windows in while in sunrider mode. This scares me.
If the sunrider position was more forward, covering the rear seats to keep the kids out of the sun, it would make sense. Like you, I just don’t see the point. With the sunrider for hardtop, it’s great!

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I put the soft top into the sunrider position almost every day and have yet to experience any issues with the soft top rear windows, etc. Operates at 70-80mph highway speeds just fine, although if I'm traveling with the top in that position I usually keep it to a max of 65-70... Mostly because I'm too relaxed to care about going "fast" lol.

Honestly, the idea of giving up the soft top and going to a hard top has made me keep an eye on the Bestop product line so I can re-gain the easy/instant open sky when on the road.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Just my $0.02 worth - I doubt the windows would actually blow out, they're pretty well secured. Personally, I'm more concerned about how much pressure it puts on the window and that it will damage the windows themselves. That's probably why FCA says to remove them, so you can't do a warranty claim when you show up with a window that is damaged/deformed due to what they would call "abuse".

I'm with you these days - the soft top is all the way up (windows in/safari mode) or all the way down. But who am I to say, I just put my hard top back on about an hour ago (I felt like having it naked this weekend and it's supposed to rain for the next 3-4 days, it's way quicker for me to just put the hard top back on).
Sponsored