Sunrider position pointless?

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Soooo, I don't want to read the whole thread and I'm a little afraid to ask...Has anyone here had any of their windows damaged by Sunrider use? I didn't realize it was a "thing"
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I was being serious. You sound like a real hoot.
I don't know WHAT this means. Use emoticons. Any reasonable person would take your remarks as sarcasm.

Take a few deep breaths. You seem sort of wound up tight. This line comes to mind "so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond."
This is my line @Bryce, not yours. You'll so full of angst your willing to troll stupid comments. I'm wound up tight? I didn't attack anybody here, unlike you.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Soooo, I don't want to read the whole thread and I'm a little afraid to ask...Has anyone here had any of their windows damaged by Sunrider use? I didn't realize it was a "thing"
Wow, legitmate on topic question Steve. Thank you. I can forget you didn't read because this thread's not only so long, but you admit it.

Some people report some window damage in this thread. One poster found a bunch of people on Facebook concurring this to be an issue. We'll likely never know the extent to which these reporter's made installation mistakes, if any, or product defect (or both) was at issue until more widespread reports emerge: which I guess unlikely.

The OP's point was that if (and it does) the owner's manual requires removal of the soft windows prior to riding in Sunrider mode on the JL, why not just bring the soft top down completely? Academically, this question makes perfect sense to ask. Practically, many/most if us, present company included often ride with them in--albeit doing so at our own expense of any resulting damage. Reports of damage as a result are far and few between, particular when not going highway speeds. : - )

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Has anyone just asked Bestop what they think? They design and produce all the soft tops for Jeep, so you’d think they would know the final answer.
I have a hard top. Only here for the entertainment.:bandit:

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Has anyone just asked Bestop what they think? They design and produce all the soft tops for Jeep, so you’d think they would know the final answer.
I have a hard top. Only here for the entertainment.:bandit:
Bestop will not comment as they repeat that they make the top for FCA, but it's FCA's product, from repair to replacement products.

No way would they contradict FCA's owner's manual I suspect, as that, even if Bestop felt that way, would be biting the hand that feeds them as the top's sole OEM provider. : - )

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
No, and it’s not a thing. :jk:

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I don’t have a soft top.
But I wish this thread would go away.
Every time I see it, I think it says
“Surrender position is pointless”.
And I want to hit the like button.
No retreat. No surrender. Never. Fight on. Ain’t dead, can’t quit.
And in my case, no Sunrider.

wolves26

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ocean Blue, 2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Blue Streak
Vehicle Showcase
Took my hard top off and installed the soft top yesterday. On my way home today I will put it in sunrider position with the windows on.
If I make it home with all of the windows, I will drink a few beers. If a window blows off, I will drink a few beers. After reading this thread, I need a few beers. Thanks to those who shared their experience while driving in sunrider position with the windows on!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
If I make it home with all of the windows, I will drink a few beers. If a window blows off, I will drink a few beers. After reading this thread, I need a few beers.
Thank you Bob. This thread needed this badly. People need to chill :beer::jk::flag:

Mjtski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
If you pop the lower tabs on the back window it will let pressure out without stressing the seams. Shouldn't have much issue with water infiltration.

Sponsored

iamjocanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Found this thread researching this topic. Driving on the highway last night @ about 100 km/h (60 mp/h) in the sunrider position, my rear right window blew out at the tuck in points. Thankfully, the inserted rail portion stayed in.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I drilled a small pilot hole through the top mount where the bottom window snaps in and inserted a small hitch pin for added insurance on each side. Hitch pin is tethered to the bolt so I don’t lose them. I ride in sunrider mode often and no issues thankfully.
Sponsored