Sponsored

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
Did yours come with velcro straps? If so where? I dont think mine did. Been riding around in sunrider position without them. I guess I could just go get some....

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Billet Silver
Did yours come with velcro straps? If so where? I dont think mine did. Been riding around in sunrider position without them. I guess I could just go get some....
Mine were in the center console in a Baggie with the tool kit. Your can get them from your dealer or just buy Velcro and cut to length. The factory length is 18". You may even check eBay or amazon too.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
They come standard with the soft top if you didnā€™t get any go to the dealer and get some they are the same as the JK straps

RoyH

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Metallic Wrangler JL 4 Door Rubicon
As a new Jeep owner (JL Rubicon 4 door) I have a questions about using the soft top in the sunrider position. In the manual it calls for removing the rear and side windows when running the top in sunrider position, but I see many pictures (some in this thread) where the windows are not removed. What is the consensus on the windows when in the sundrider position, in or out? Thanks!

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
As a new Jeep owner (JL Rubicon 4 door) I have a questions about using the soft top in the sunrider position. In the manual it calls for removing the rear and side windows when running the top in sunrider position, but I see many pictures (some in this thread) where the windows are not removed. What is the consensus on the windows when in the sundrider position, in or out? Thanks!
When in Sunrider position I never remove any windows when I had my JK or now in the JL. If I am going to remove windows then the entire top will come down. If you had to remove the windows the Sunrider position would be pointless in my opinion. I have never had any issues at any speed with the windows in and in Sunrider position.

Skubaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Sahara
My dealer recommended all windows removed to keep from stressing and stretching out the windows. I havenā€™t gone sunrider yet. I canā€™t fit in my garage as it acts like a toggle bolt. Lol. So either up with windows in or windows out or all the way down. With the on and off rain in the Northeast, down has been few and far between.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
My dealer recommended all windows removed to keep from stressing and stretching out the windows. I havenā€™t gone sunrider yet. I canā€™t fit in my garage as it acts like a toggle bolt. Lol. So either up with windows in or windows out or all the way down. With the on and off rain in the Northeast, down has been few and far between.
I've never used the straps in Sunrider mode.

I would on a day with crosswinds. Then again, I'd probably not de-latch the soft top on such days.

I simply don't see issues with putting the soft top (at least the Premium one, which I own) in Sunrider position and keepine all 3 back windows in place. If anyone can cite reason (other than the manual) this is bad, I'm all ears and would be interested in knowing why what I'm doing is ill advised.

Sure, further than Sunrider position: absolutely: the 3 back windows need to be taken off.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stressing out the windows? If this was the case they would recommend taking out the windows when you open your regular glass windows as well. I think this answer you got was off the cuff and not true at all.

My JK was sailcloth and never had an issue. I had it in sunrider most times because the zippers were a PITA! My JL I have premium and have done the same but I take the top down entirely more often since it is so much quicker and easier to remove the windows.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I've never used the straps in Sunrider mode.

I would on a day with crosswinds. Then again, I'd probably not de-latch the soft top on such days.

I simply don't see issues with putting the soft top (at least the Premium one, which I own) in Sunrider position and keepine all 3 back windows in place. If anyone can cite reason (other than the manual) this is bad, I'm all ears and would be interested in knowing why what I'm doing is ill advised.

Sure, further than Sunrider position: absolutely: the 3 back windows need to be taken off.
^ This

Sunrider would be a useless feature if I had to take the windows out. I donā€™t take them out, nor do I use those straps. I mean, wtf is that little bit of Velcro going to do, exactly?

Donā€™t overthink this. Itā€™s a Jeep. Toss open the top and drive!

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^ This

Sunrider would be a useless feature if I had to take the windows out. I donā€™t take them out, nor do I use those straps. I mean, wtf is that little bit of Velcro going to do, exactly?

Donā€™t overthink this. Itā€™s a Jeep. Toss open the top and drive!
I agree except I do use the straps when in sunrider position. I feel it keeps the folded top from bouncing up and down causing additional wear on the moving parts. This may be a placebo thing in my mind only but it only takes a minute to put them on so I do.

Adambonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler unlimited jl
It will stick up In a trifold pattern like the picture make sure you wrap the Velcro straps around the supports per the OM - it stays put I have had mine in this position a lot because I am too lazy to take everything off.
I appreciate this information. I am coming from a 2dr so i never had to Velcro the sunrider. I drove it today with the sunrider up without the velcro and didnt have a problem but ill be sure to start using the straps

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like mine ... after some bad wear on my JK top I do try to ā€˜fixā€™ the folds a bit nicer in sunrider due to rubbing. I have actually grown fond of the safari mode and itā€™s my preferred mode now (keeps the direct sun off me).

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I've driven in Sunrider mode at high speed with and without rear windows removed with no issues. I've never used the velcros yet because I haven't detected any bouncing. Now, with the top all the way back there is a lot of bouncing so I would recommend strapping it down. I rarely put the top all the way down though because it blocks my view out the back. Sunrider mode is my favorite.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've driven in Sunrider mode at high speed with and without rear windows removed with no issues. I've never used the velcros yet because I haven't detected any bouncing. Now, with the top all the way back there is a lot of bouncing so I would recommend strapping it down. I rarely put the top all the way down though because it blocks my view out the back. Sunrider mode is my favorite.
Check out this thread. I got the velcro straps mentioned for when the top is fully down. Not only does it prevent the wear but it cinches up all of the material giving you exceptional view out of the rear. You have a much better view out of the rear when the top is down and strapped than when it is up with windows in.

I do not use the stock straps to hold the frame down however and there is no bouncing. I just use the 3 foot velcro straps from Home Depot and it does not bounce around at all.
Sponsored