Broken Soft Top Frame From Sunrider Position

PhoenixJeeper

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ
I know people have bent the frame of their soft top from not unlocking it before dropping it all the way, this isn't that. I was wheeling about a week ago, with the soft top in the sunrider position. When it started getting too hot, I tried putting it back up, when I discovered the top was broken. I don't have any pictures at the moment, because it's at the dealership, but basically that plastic bar that screws into the roll cage on the passenger side broke, and the top was off the track. After taking it to the dealer, they said they wouldn't cover it under warranty, because the frame is bent, and there's paint chipping off of it. I'm still trying to fight with them on this, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. I have only had the top down twice, both just in sunrider, and not all the way down. I've only had my jeep 2 months, and nobody has sat in the backseat, nor have I stored anything in the back at this point.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I know people have bent the frame of their soft top from not unlocking it before dropping it all the way, this isn't that. I was wheeling about a week ago, with the soft top in the sunrider position. When it started getting too hot, I tried putting it back up, when I discovered the top was broken. I don't have any pictures at the moment, because it's at the dealership, but basically that plastic bar that screws into the roll cage on the passenger side broke, and the top was off the track. After taking it to the dealer, they said they wouldn't cover it under warranty, because the frame is bent, and there's paint chipping off of it. I'm still trying to fight with them on this, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. I have only had the top down twice, both just in sunrider, and not all the way down. I've only had my jeep 2 months, and nobody has sat in the backseat, nor have I stored anything in the back at this point.
This thread from a while back sounds similar to your experience... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fubared-my-soft-top-looking-for-a-part.27049/

OP
OP
PhoenixJeeper

PhoenixJeeper

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Did you go through a wooded area or any spot that the top made contact with something on the trail? Came down hard off a obstacle?

Without photo evidence it is hard to take a side.

OP
OP
PhoenixJeeper

PhoenixJeeper

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ
Did you go through a wooded area or any spot that the top made contact with something on the trail? Came down hard off a obstacle?

Without photo evidence it is hard to take a side.
I did go under some trees, but my friend was holding up branches. Nothing bigger than a twig would have caught on it. Plus there aren't any scratches or impact parks on the frame, or on the fabric. I'll try to post some pictures when I can

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Evan, a tree limb fell on the rear of my Soft top and split the rear bow in two. My local dealer said they'd only replace the entire top, not fix the bow, of course at my expense.

I got a replacement bow here https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/jeep-wrangler-jl-parts/jeep-soft-tops/soft-top-hardware and fixed it myself, which wasn't trivial because I had to deal with rivets and other obstacles.

Maybe biting the bullet, buying replacement parts and fixing it yourself, or having a private mechanic do it is your best play. I think your job may be easier than mine was.

Maybe you can convince the dealer to pay for these parts.

Cheers.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Your photos show the top in the fully lowered position, not sunrider position. Did you put it all the way down after you couldn't close it?

OP
OP
PhoenixJeeper

PhoenixJeeper

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ
Your photos show the top in the fully lowered position, not sunrider position. Did you put it all the way down after you couldn't close it?
I'm glad you mentioned that, since I forgot to explain that. Picked up the Jeep from my dealership yesterday, and they had put it down like that, though I'm not sure why.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
That really sucks that you had to pay for it. It seems to me that these tops should be able to handle more than they seem to be, and should be covered under warranty if they're not.
I appreciate your concern Evan but honesty requires me to find FCA harmless when things aren't their fault if I'm to be taken seriously here when I point fingers at them for other things.

As it turns out, a really large branch hit a metal bow of relatively thin middle smack in the middle. Had FCA authorized designed the below of metal too thin to hold up the soft top I'd agree whole heartedly with you that it should have been thicker but they didn't and I don't feel that the soft top should be expected to hold much weight from above.

The frustration lied in the fact that dealers are mostly diagnosticians and large part replacers when small parts of the large assembly is broken (e.g. broken bow = replaced top.) I am though grateful I was able to patch it with metal last summer, and replace the bow this summer with subassemblies available for sale like these previously linked to.

Thanks.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I highly doubt those arms bent just from wheeling around. Most likely the top caught on something somewhere that you didn't see/notice.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It appears they are redesigning these parts as I'm trying to order them and there are new replacement part numbers but no pictures yet. Jeep dealer shows one side being way more expensive than the other. Not sure if I should wait for the mess to get sorted out or try and buy the old style from an outside supplier while I still can. I'm guessing they've had plenty of warranty claims on these.
Sponsored