Sunrider position it

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I’m a brand new Jeep owner and I love it. I bought the dual top and being in the northern Chicagoland area I plan on putting my hard top on later in the fall before it snows. But I’m a huge fan of the premium softtop.

My questions: will riding with the top in Sunrider position ruin the top or the plastic windows from the pressure?

Also, should I be treating the top with anything to keep it from getting dirt and no getting crushed by the uv coming lights.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You should have got a couple of VELCRO strips also and-

You can use those to "CHINCH" the front top section when you lay it back--

Good luck

JIMBO

OP
OP

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks. I was passing out as I wrote that last night, sorry for the typos. I say the 303 fabric spray mentioned a bunch. Is this something I should use with a new Top or just after extended use?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I’m a brand new Jeep owner and I love it. I bought the dual top and being in the northern Chicagoland area I plan on putting my hard top on later in the fall before it snows. But I’m a huge fan of the premium softtop.

My questions: will riding with the top in Sunrider position ruin the top or the plastic windows from the pressure?

Also, should I be treating the top with anything to keep it from getting dirt and no getting crushed by the uv coming lights.
I'm willing to go so far as to say absolutely not, my answer born of both field testing and simple practicality. The pressure you speak of, I can't help but believe is purely absent when the top is merely opened to Sunrider position.

Yes, (versions of) the manual suggest the windows be removed prior to opening the top even slightly, but I truly believe that this is a product of a manual that needs revision. I glean that the text was written in a manner that prepared the user for taking the top down to its lowest setting, where, yes, the windows require removal, not merely Sunrider (or as I call it, "1st") position, where the windows need not be removed (although by no means wrong.)

IMHO, the manual suggests that its copywriters didn't/don't drive Wranglers.

Keeping the windows on when in Sunrider position is, IMHO, more than merely an "off label" technique that proves non-damaging. Rather , it is an intention, an express indication if you will from FCA that allows you the convenience of an open air feel, without taking the windows off/putting them on: which while not difficult, and faster than in the JK, is much easier NOT to do than do--at the compromise of less than a complete open air feel.

I completely respect whatever top, and whatever configuration of it others choose as long as they are safe. FWIW, I've never, when opening the top, gone beyond Sunrider other than in testing, despite having removed the windows many times to make mods.

Sponsored

Darkcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks. I was passing out as I wrote that last night, sorry for the typos. I say the 303 fabric spray mentioned a bunch. Is this something I should use with a new Top or just after extended use?
No harm in doing it any time. Much like a coat of wax on the paint, or 303 UV protectant on the plastic exterior (and interior) components. If you have the time to do it now, then go for it.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
No harm in doing it any time. Much like a coat of wax on the paint, or 303 UV protectant on the plastic exterior (and interior) components. If you have the time to do it now, then go for it.
;)So strict analogy seems to exist between the non-required non-harmful use of 303 (which I love and use) and the removal of the soft windows when the soft top's in Sunrider position!
Sponsored

Last edited: