Sun Visor Fix

Kojava

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
BTW, if you de pin, you can swap the red and yellow wire positions and get the garage door opener to work even when the Jeep isn't on. I hated that it didn't work once I shut the engine off. All other vehicles Ive owned, the built in garage door opener was powered all the time. It's a mod that is gratifying that I think about every time I push that button once I've parked and shut down.
Nice perk! Thanks for mentioning this. This is also a simple thing that I miss. This JL is the only vehicle I've had that can't operate the opener while the engine's off.

But now my "vanity mirror" light doesn't work unless the engine is running. I'm going thru withdrawls of not being able to see myself at night in the vanity mirror. :LOL:
That's rough... ;)
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
My driver's side broke yesterday so I will be ordering some of the metal retaining clips and following @Roky's guide on how to fix it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My driver's side broke yesterday so I will be ordering some of the metal retaining clips and following @Roky's guide on how to fix it.
Yep, it's a pathetically chintzy retaining method, but also a very easy fix, so at least there's that :)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Repaired mine today. Seems to be working well. I could not get the stem to stick out back the base as much as @roaniecowpony did, but the retaining ring is well onto the shaft and in the grooves. Hopefully, it is fixed for good now.

Photo of the repair and the wires (in case someone forgets to take a photo ahead of time):

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix fSBa44

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix fSBYGf

Sponsored

Jeffkam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’m struggling to get this fixed. I tried the split collars as I was hoping to avoid pulling wires out of the harness, but found I’m having what looks to be an issue with garage openers working after I mount everything back. It seems like the split collar makes contact with the roll bar/frame and I cannot quite tell..but looks like it shorts out? I’m ordering the push nut from the original fix to see if that works.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I’m struggling to get this fixed. I tried the split collars as I was hoping to avoid pulling wires out of the harness, but found I’m having what looks to be an issue with garage openers working after I mount everything back. It seems like the split collar makes contact with the roll bar/frame and I cannot quite tell..but looks like it shorts out? I’m ordering the push nut from the original fix to see if that works.
Interested to hear what you find on this. My split collars just came in the mail, but haven't implemented the fix yet.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This makes little sense to me.... There is absolutely no reason the split collar will not do the deed.
Something is a muck lets say with your work...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interested to hear what you find on this. My split collars just came in the mail, but haven't implemented the fix yet.
@InvertedLogic

Wess,

Hope all is well, with you and your Lady...

The split collars do the deed just fine.. Not sure what the guy has done to fruck up the fix ... but, again the split collar does the deed... Obviously, careful ..... don't pinch or cut through the cables and you won't have any problems with shorting...

Come back and tell all how you did with the repair.. using your split collar.

Jeffkam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@InvertedLogic

Wess,

Hope all is well, with you and your Lady...

The split collars do the deed just fine.. Not sure what the guy has done to fruck up the fix ... but, again the split collar does the deed... Obviously, careful ..... don't pinch or cut through the cables and you won't have any problems with shorting...

Come back and tell all how you did with the repair.. using your split collar.
Entirely possible I’m doing something wrong. With the metal split collar, it needs to fit into a cut out in the roll bar and where I seemed to be having the issue and would see a spark when installing the visor with the ignition key turned to run. I replaced the metal split collar with this plastic one (
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063KXS1E/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QNTZ67Z743ZZ53NSWK26?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) and now the visor is secure and opener buttons are working just fine.

The plastic one is a bit small with shorter screws so I had to use the screws from the original metal split collars I was using.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jeffkam

Thanks for the follow-up post.

Good you got-er done.

Reward, yourself for getting er done, with a large, Ritter's, Hot Fudge Sundae.. :like:

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Entirely possible I’m doing something wrong. With the metal split collar, it needs to fit into a cut out in the roll bar and where I seemed to be having the issue and would see a spark when installing the visor with the ignition key turned to run. I replaced the metal split collar with this plastic one (
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063KXS1E/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QNTZ67Z743ZZ53NSWK26?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) and now the visor is secure and opener buttons are working just fine.

The plastic one is a bit small with shorter screws so I had to use the screws from the original metal split collars I was using.
Interesting...I am wondering why that shaft would have a positive charge on it for it to be arcing to the grounded roll cage. We'll see how my install goes. I got pretty low profile aluminum split collars.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting...I am wondering why that shaft would have a positive charge on it for it to be arcing to the grounded roll cage. We'll see how my install goes. I got pretty low profile aluminum split collars.
@InvertedLogic
Only reason I can see for the issue is one of the wires has insulation damage and end result..... a short (metal collar)
Sponsored