Sponsored

Sun shade

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
How did the rear work out with the factory handles?
Yea it is crazy how the front works out but it will be fine it seems. The rear worked out ok. See attached pic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun shade 9ED42B42-1766-4B67-A2D2-71B31DC059B6
Sponsored

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have had JTops on my JKU and JLUR. Good quality stuff.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to know the jtops sits above. I’m tall and the one I got I struggle with my head hitting the inside of the shade when my hair is up in a bun or ponytail. (I know...something most you men don’t struggle with) lol

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
Can get replacement bungies almost anywhere - not so much with buckle straps or super magnets. Just my 2¢ worth.

Sponsored

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
I agree and would have loved to purchase one. However, their tops don't fit/work with the Sunrider for Hardtop. :(
I have been running the sunrider for hardtop and the Jtops bikini sun shade for almost two years, no issue.

Where have you heard they were incompatible?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have been running the sunrider for hardtop and the Jtops bikini sun shade for almost two years, no issue.

Where have you heard they were incompatible?
The company themselves. I reached out when I first bought my JLU.

They said the door rails for the Sunrider were the issue. Particularly, that the strap placement won’t fit properly in the gap/space left when the rails are in place.

Can you post pics of how your shade fits?

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

They said the door rails for the Sunrider were the issue. Particularly, that the strap placement won’t fit properly in the gap space left when the rails are in place.

@jludave

You will have guys post that grabs and sunshades they have work just fine with the Sunrider.

Problem is the same guys are often oblivious to .... stress related issues with the SR arm, also, air and water leaks at high speed thanks to the SR arm being raised up / not mated as tight as it needs to be, thanks to the material between the arm and metal frame.

Guys install and say stick around town, off road or whatever and never get out for any long distance high speed driving..

Sure, you may be able to get goodies that seem aok but over the long haul you see issues... but to some the intermittent issues are no big deal and worth the trade off.

What is a big issue though is the stress on the SR arm and how, over the long haul the SR arm will deal with the stress..

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You will have guys post that grabs and sunshades they have work just fine with the Sunrider.
@Rhinebeck01

That’s why I posted that the JTops don’t work with the Sunrider for Hardtop. Like I said, the company told me so. And, I researched this for a long time. It’s also why I asked to see pictures from the poster above.

I looked at photo after photo and even purchased and tried several shades with no luck. The door rails for the Sunrider are different than for the stock soft top and even for other tops that Bestop makes. There is very limited room for any type of strap or bungee to fit properly. The channel that’s created when the rails are installed is too narrow for the placement of most shade’s side strap or bungee placement.

I have a shade that works now. But, it is not 100% ideal since I can’t easily reach up and flip the Sunrider back. I have to unlatch and open/close from outside. The flip back feature is the beauty of and what drew me to JTops.

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
Follow up on those asking about OEM grab handles with JTOPS. I put the hardtop back on and if you have the front two JTOP straps overlaying the grab handles as I showed in earlier picks they just barely clear freedom tops when installed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun shade 5409D340-E63C-41D8-8793-31218DEF040A

Sponsored

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase

They said the door rails for the Sunrider were the issue. Particularly, that the strap placement won’t fit properly in the gap/space left when the rails are in place.

Sure here is how it looks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun shade PXL_20210419_202540786

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun shade PXL_20210419_202610076

Let me know if you want to have a look at something specific. It's been a while since I installed it. I don't remember any issues at install other than having to remove the sunrider, which I thought I could leave on. I looked at the straps going to the sound bar, nothing standing out there and the one strap at the front has enough clearance behind the rail.

Cheers.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I don't remember any issues at install other than having to remove the sunrider, which I thought I could leave on.
Thanks for the picture.

So you removed the Sunrider to install the shade. Therein lies the problem. How are your door rails sitting with the shade installed? It looks like the back strap in the 2nd picture you posted is under the door rail. Is the rail bolted down over the strap? If so, that’s a no go.

From all of my tests with various shades and grab handles, there’s no room in that area for anything, unless the door rail sits on top of it and that’s not how they are supposed to be installed.

I even have the same GPCA grab handles. I had to fold over the rear part, that points towards the back, so that the overall width of the handle fits in the gap left once the door rail is installed.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@jludave

I have some paracord ones and they are attached to a strap and I noticed that when I installed my SR that material was under the side rails and I did not want the possible issues so I kinda folded and tucked some material and it’s ok but not as perfect as I would like

319000ED-94E8-4783-8784-9F4C99A81D11.jpeg
40C684F6-5622-45E7-A525-DF39EC5B87DF.jpeg

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have some paracord ones and they are attached to a strap and I noticed that when I installed my SR that material was under the side rails and I did not want the possible issues so I kinda folded and tucked some material and it’s ok but not as perfect as I would like
Thanks. My grab handles aren’t an issue. It’s finding a decent sun shade that can be used with the Sunrider, that still allows me to just reach up and flip it open or pull it closed. I have a shade on now, but I have to open and close the Sunrider from outside. With the shade in place, there’s no room in front to use the Sunrider the way it’s meant to be used. Heck, even Bestop doesn’t have anything that works with the Sunrider.

That’s what’s so attractive about JTops. However, if I can’t get their shade to work properly, and by properly I mean not having door rails sitting on top of straps, their products have no value to me. The company themselves wrote back to me in an email that their tops won’t work with the Sunrider. That’s what has me perplexed and questioning the install pictured above.
Sponsored