Sponsored

Looking for sun shade.

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking of getting the 2 piece alienshade. Are there any benefits to a 1 piece? Are there other shades out there that I should be considering?
Sponsored

UndeadxWarlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
I got a cheap one piece from Amazon and I really do like it but I regret it a little bit that I didnt realize you couldn't put the hard top on all the way with it installed. It blocks the latching spots of the freedom panels. For now I just undo the bungees for the front half and fold it back but with how tight the bungees are it's not exactly fun. Maybe when it stops raining so much it wont be a big deal

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking of getting the 2 piece alienshade. Are there any benefits to a 1 piece? Are there other shades out there that I should be considering?
It depends on preference. I have a JTops and an Alien & both fit and look just fine. With the JTops shade, it's much easier to remove the Freedom Panels. I have a 2-door, so I only need the 1-piece Alien, but if I wanted to cover more behind me for whatever reason, I switch to the JTops...neither is difficult to install/remove.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The 1 piece shade that covers front and back should sit higher since it goes over the bar. I only have the smaller Alien over the front seats so it sits lower. But I'm 5'10" and with a hat there's plenty of clearance. You'll see some complaints on the forum regarding tall people using the 2 piece and how much lower it sits. I don't have a hardtop but opening/closing the soft top is easy.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 1 piece shade that covers front and back should sit higher since it goes over the bar. I only have the smaller Alien over the front seats so it sits lower. But I'm 5'10" and with a hat there's plenty of clearance. You'll see some complaints on the forum regarding tall people using the 2 piece and how much lower it sits. I don't have a hardtop but opening/closing the soft top is easy.
Good info. I'm not as tall as you so it won't be an issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on preference. I have a JTops and an Alien & both fit and look just fine. With the JTops shade, it's much easier to remove the Freedom Panels. I have a 2-door, so I only need the 1-piece Alien, but if I wanted to cover more behind me for whatever reason, I switch to the JTops...neither is difficult to install/remove.
What makes it easier to remove the jtop?

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got a cheap one piece from Amazon and I really do like it but I regret it a little bit that I didnt realize you couldn't put the hard top on all the way with it installed. It blocks the latching spots of the freedom panels. For now I just undo the bungees for the front half and fold it back but with how tight the bungees are it's not exactly fun. Maybe when it stops raining so much it wont be a big deal
Thanks. I'm looking for one that can stay underneath the hardtop.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Alien sunshade up front on a 4 door hardtop and like it. But I do recommend lowering the windshield to install, not difficult to do. I believe they discount it thru this forum!

David F.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
2 pc alien here, and love it. Kinda like how it casts a red tint on things too... just an added bonus when the sun is shining. I am 6 foot even and my head is clear. Installed with windshield up and it was annoying but it was also dusk so I had trouble seeing.... overall would def buy again and the forum discount covered shipping I believe. Good luck either way you go.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I removed my two piece Alien (it is now a strainer) the head room was just not enough as it is only about 2" above my head (I am 6' seat at lowest level) . It was too confining and being so close was not very transparent (might as well keep the top up)

Alien%20clearance_zpsjkpik7yv.jpg

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I removed my two piece Alien (it is now a strainer) the head room was just not enough as it is only about 2" above my head (I am 6' seat at lowest level) . It was too confining and being so close was not very transparent (might as well keep the top up)

Alien%20clearance_zpsjkpik7yv.jpg
I should be fine at 5'6". I get why the one piece helps because it goes over the bar.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I should be fine at 5'6". I get why the one piece helps because it goes over the bar.
For some it is a non issue this is just my personal OCD, You should be fine.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I installed a JTops one-piece a couple weeks back, and I love it. Fits perfect. You can put the soft top on over it, but I won't try the hard top until October. It is very durable and strong. Looks nice too.