OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I got the front piece Alien Sunshade and love it so far. I will eventually get the back section but I definitely think the 2 sections look much better vs the one piece.
I ended up getting the two piece. It's great!
Sponsored

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
The headroom is bad on these if you are of a 6' Foot height. And worse if you wear a hat. Shorter folks may not have the same problem. Took it off and now use the BestTop Sunrider for hardtops.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
At 6’2 I was worried about a sunshade but I went with the Alien front only, it took 10 minutes to install and I did NOT drop the windshield. I have more than enough clearance and it does not interfere with the freedom tops, Its a great well built product, its tight and makes no wind noise. I may get the rear one next but I am glad I bought it in pieces instead of just a full one.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the full-length Alien sunshade. It’s a good product, but for some reason putting the front clips in was a pain for me.

The main reason I got mine is to cut down on the wind for my wife and two girls who get beat up by their hair and it seems to have helped based on my limited testing.

My biggest gripe is that it definitely cuts down on the actual open air feel. Unfortunately, it’s too much work to take it on and off based on who’s riding with me. And the lower headroom makes things a little claustrophobic even if my head isn’t touching it.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I tried the alien and my head hits the top of the sunscreen. This was with the soft top up or down. I also have the J tops. The J tops is fine when the soft top is down and the J top is connected to the top of the windshield frame. When the soft top is up my head hits the top of the J tops also. I have finally given up on the sunscreens. At 6’3” tall I just cannot find a comfortable position where my head will not hit the top and if I have a hat on it’s even worse!

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I tried the alien and my head hits the top of the sunscreen. This was with the soft top up or down. I also have the J tops. The J tops is fine when the soft top is down and the J top is connected to the top of the windshield frame. When the soft top is up my head hits the top of the J tops also. I have finally given up on the sunscreens. At 6’3” tall I just cannot find a comfortable position where my head will not hit the top and if I have a hat on it’s even worse!
I am also 6'3" and have the concerns about my head rubbing. Thank you for your feedback, I will probably skip the sun shade and just put the soft top in the safari position when I need shade. I was leaning towards JTops because it looked like their design might provide the most head room, but at the end of the day, they can't go any higher than the sport/speaker bar. I have read about a couple of tall people having no issue, but I will probably hold off unless I see one in person.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
As I had mentioned above, I don’t like the loss of open air feel with the full shade. But I do think it helped cut down on the wind in the back seat for my girls and obviously the sun.
Does anyone have any experience just running the rear shade? If so, can you speak to whether it still reduces turbulence in the back seat?

sting_gray_

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Has anyone used the back piece only? My son gets SO hot and the wind beats on him on longer rides in the back seat. I ordered the two-piece hoping the sun & wind won't be so hard on him in the back, while I will still have the option in the front to leave mine off.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had asked the same question above, but obviously no response.

I have the full-length shade and decided on most days I’d prefer not to have it over me because I didn’t feel like I really had the top down. I found multiple ways to fold it back so it just covered the rear putting the bungee cables through multiple grommets. My wife is currently on medication that she needs to be out of the sun and I was able to fold it back forward. I'm happy with my decision to keep the full length shade.

It absolutely keeps most of the sun out, but there can occasionally be angles of the sun where it will still hit them. As far as the wind protection back there, I can’t really say and my girls are still too young to be able to report back.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the JTops and its great. I went with this one because I was also worried about head room. I'm 6 foot but my height is more in my upper body not my legs and I wear a hat and do not rub on the sun shade.

Sponsored

sting_gray_

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I had asked the same question above, but obviously no response.

I have the full-length shade and decided on most days I’d prefer not to have it over me because I didn’t feel like I really had the top down. I found multiple ways to fold it back so it just covered the rear putting the bungee cables through multiple grommets. My wife is currently on medication that she needs to be out of the sun and I was able to fold it back forward. I'm happy with my decision to keep the full length shade.

It absolutely keeps most of the sun out, but there can occasionally be angles of the sun where it will still hit them. As far as the wind protection back there, I can’t really say and my girls are still too young to be able to report back.
Thank you! I ordered the 2 piece so I will report how it works! Should come in the mail tomorrow! We are excited!

Envy_Jeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Spiderweb Shade all the way :) easy install and no need to ever remove.

xEDGEx

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR 2.0L Turbo
I almost ordered a 2 piece and am glad I didn't based off the feedback here.. I hadn't considered actual headroom clearance (I'm 6'2"). I held up a stretched t-shirt to get a feel for the height and there's no way it would be comfortable for me. Will probably stick with just a rear shade for the kids.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I did the 1 piece Alien Sunshade. Provides enough shade and seems to control the annoying airflow/ turbulance (the kind that makes it so you can't hear your passengers or your music, based on my TJ experience) with the top open/down. My wife and 2 year old son don't do as well with the heat as I do so I got it for when they are riding around with me. 80 degrees, cruising around on vacation last week and no complaints from either of them. I've found anything above 85 degrees (depending on the day and the positioning of the sun), and I'd rather just leave the top up and crank the AC. This is usually when the relative humidity is high.

To answer the OP question: the advantage I saw to having the 1 piece vs. the 2, is that the only gaps you have to deal with are the ones in the sides, between the shade and the roll bars.

I did not have to drop the windshield for install, but you might want to stretch the bungees and let the top warm up in the sun first.

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
i have the 2 pc alien on mine.. drove from va to fla with the top down. im 6ft2 no problem with head clearance or not feeling like the top was down. i actually like it better then not having one because it keeps me from getting fried by the sun being that im a red head lol.
Sponsored