Sponsored

Suggested Mods for Expectant Father?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
First off CONGRATS! Very exciting and scary a little.

I’ve got (4) myself. (2) boys (2) girls.

Ages:
(3-boy)/(7-girl)/(10-boy)/(14-girl)

I know a thing or two.

Not really too much you can get for the rig right now. You may want to buy a beach towel or floor mat and lay it underneath the car seat.

Now for the real shit:

This won’t matter in the beginning but as they get older, DO NOT allow them to eat in your vehicle. No matter how responsible you think they are they WILL spill food. I don’t care if it’s raining like hell, go in and eat lol

I don’t let any of my kids eat or drink in my Jeep. Now it’s to the point they don’t even think they are allowed to breathe in it lol My rig is SUPER clean inside aside from the sand on the floorboards (which is allowed).

Also, say NO a lot while they’re young. It pays dividends. They now will walk right past me and go ask their mom (even when she’s super busy), it’s fantastic.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase

Ages:

I know a thing or two.

Not really too much you can get for the rig right now. You may want to buy a beach towel or floor mat and lay it underneath the car seat.

Now for the real shit:

This won’t matter in the beginning but as they get older, DO NOT allow them to eat in your vehicle. No matter how responsible you think they are they WILL spill food. I don’t care if it’s raining like hell, go in and eat lol

I don’t let any of my kids eat or drink in my Jeep. Now it’s to the point they don’t even think they are allowed to breathe in it lol My rig is SUPER clean inside aside from the sand on the floorboards (which is allowed).

Also, say NO a lot while they’re young. It pays dividends. They now will walk right past me and go ask their mom (even when she’s super busy), it’s fantastic.

Cheers!
That’s all good advice. I would like to add that your child will not be special. It will be average like every other child. Everyone in your family need to know this.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0

Ages:

I know a thing or two.

Now for the real shit:

Cheers!
My wifes Outback had enough food under and around all the seats , that if you broke down and were stranded on a snowy mountain pass, , there were enough rations for a week. The Donner party would have been fine !

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My wifes Outback had enough food under and around all the seats , that if you broke down and were stranded on a snowy mountain pass, , there were enough rations for a week. The Donner party would have been fine !
LOL

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Congrats! Very exciting news.

I second the rear gate table. You can use it for changing or drying them off while young then you have something you can use later.

While the child is facing the rear, I would recommend adding a fan. Sure there is the vent hose, but I personally like this fan attached to a battery because I can use it for other things. When they face the front you will want something to protect the seat backs.

Most of the real storage will be via diaper bag; however you might want a few extra diapers, wipes, change of clothes, and a towel in something under the seat. That’s where I keep the wet wipes and paper towels.

Last but not least, your kids need some very specific Jeep clothes...

2F7DB335-150F-4E90-B196-236AA91245EC.jpeg

5A528FEF-5799-483A-9DCD-BDE9488358D4.jpeg

98059322-3F94-4328-BD37-C344FB83AAFE.jpeg

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Best mod I’ve ever gotten

upload_2019-10-23_19-16-33.jpeg
Same here. Condoms and birth control are a thing of the past. Its great to just whip it out and do it without the needs for grabbing protection LOL.

ON a serious note. Honestly spend more of time driving infant around in a bigger car LOL. Shelving in the back is going to be useless because you have to carry around that gawd awful big ass STROLLER that supports the Removable Car seats. Once the kids grow to using just those little umbrella strollers its easier.

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BMW 635csi 16 Fiesta St 20 Jl sport bikini pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Weather tech mats to catch some of the crumbs. If I had a 4 door I would probably bought one of those dog hammocks and anchored thru it.

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-door)
I vote for the cargo shelf in the trunk; I have one and it hugely expands the cargo capabilities (especially we often bring the dog to the lake and he sleeps on the floor in the trunk and we have stuff covering the shelf).

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
No a Honda Pilot is considered to be in the SUV class. Mini-vans have sliding doors.
Which is why crossovers are inferior to minivans. Sliding doors are AWESOME; I wish every vehicle had them. You get full entry while only requiring like 8 inches of clearance to the side. Regular doors with kids are a nightmare in parking lots, because kids don't understand that slamming the doors open causes damage to both vehicles, no matter how many times you tell them.

Minivans are also awesome for hauling building materials. I have a 5x8 utility trailer and an F-250, but 90% of the time I just take my wife's Sienna for Lowe's trips. I've loaded 4x8 sheets of plywood from the floor to the ceiling AND COULD STILL CLOSE THE HATCH. Most folks don't realize that minivans often have a higher payload rating than midsize pickups.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Congrats! My daughter is now a year old and I have her in the jeep almost every day.

Number one thing you can do if you want to have the jeep for awhile: seat covers. I got the Rugged Ridge seat covers for a hundred bucks or whatever and hoooooooooly cow am I glad. After you have that car seat in for a few months, take it out and just look at the crud that collects in all corners of creation lol Whether you let the kid eat in the car or not, stuff just materializes out of thin air and deposits itself all around that car seat. Stuff's gonna be thrown, diapers are gonna be changed, etc. Seat covers will be your best friend for a few years.

Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I have 2 rear facing seats in my JLUR, it works, its a little tight, I'm 5'10 and my wife is about the same and we both fit OK, knees are a bit close to the dash but its all good. My wife does drive a new Pilot LOL. you all are kiling me!

Edit: My wife may punch you if you call it a mini van! She thinks its an SUV and we we going to keep it that way:giggle:

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. Condoms and birth control are a thing of the past. Its great to just whip it out and do it without the needs for grabbing protection LOL.

ON a serious note. Honestly spend more of time driving infant around in a bigger car LOL. Shelving in the back is going to be useless because you have to carry around that gawd awful big ass STROLLER that supports the Removable Car seats. Once the kids grow to using just those little umbrella strollers its easier.

You guys. . "Happy is the man with his quiver full of children." Jack rabbit I am proud to be :)

JCae2798

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU (RIP), 2021 GC L, 2024 JLU 4xe
I've gone 3 carseats wide in the rear of my jlu with our 2, 4 & 6 yr old at the time. The upright angle of the rear bench seat stinks for most car seats....it ends up making the car seat sit pretty far forward. I added the rear seat recline spacer kit which leaned the seat back about 2" and made car seats fit better. Either way, jeeps arent ideal designs for buckling in young kids. We got a minivan for that.
Don't mean to hijack, but just got the wife a 4-dr JL as well and and with the 2 standard car seats,not much room in-between and i get what you're saying about the upright angle. 2 questions if i may:
1. How would you rate the spacer kit?
2. What seats did you use for the 3 wide? We were hoping for 2 + a booster for every now and then when we may need to pick up a cousin from daycare if my sister-in-law runs late.

Also congrats to the OP on the growing family. Sorry no advice for the truck but i agree with what everyone has shared so far.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Kids in rear facing seats get really hot in the back of the JL. I am considering a vent extension or fan setup for my little one.

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We use the diono car seats. A little pricy but comfy, safe, and slim enough to fit three across.
Sponsored