Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Heya folks-

I have ordered and received both the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and the relocation kit. Chicago's temperature has been freezing in the past couple of weeks and promises to continue to be cold... for the foreseeable future! So, my question is what is the optimal temperature under which to do these simple mods--what made me think of it was the fact that I have to torque the reinforcement bolts and so I figured the cold probably would interfere with that? Or not? Feel free to tell me this is a stupid question and I am over thinking this...

Photo of Rhonda because a post without a photo is not complete.

untitled-39.jpg
Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Yeah, it’s getting cold here.

You’re fine torquing the bolts in cold weather. I’d recommend working in a heated garage though.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The ideal working temperature when using a torque wrench is between 40 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

That said though, if you are at freezing, ensure that the temperature of the fasteners, MOD and vehicle (parent metal) are of the SAME temperature before torquing to spec.

In most cases, expansion/contraction will negate the temperature effect if all metals and fasteners are of the same temperature when torquing.

Good question!

EDIT:

Nice rig by the way!!

Don’t worry you’ll be fine to install your mod!
Sponsored

Last edited: