Suggested Mods for Expectant Father?

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
First of all, as many have already said, congrats - children are a true blessing and even though things can get stressful from time to time, I think that they’re the most rewarding thing that life can give you.
My friends and family call me “Captain Safety” and mercilessly tease me for the lengths that I go to keep the kids safe, but being pretty active myself with high energy kids, I think you can’t be too careful. We’ve had great luck with the Britax line of car seats. We started our newborns with the 4 in 1 “b-ready” system that was super lightweight, safe and handy with the integrated stroller system - it was a life saver when trying to get the kids out for fresh air or walks, etc., all of which would easily fit in our JLUR. Once they got a little bit older, we bought the Britax clicktight advocate seat system - super safe, very adjustable and easy to install/use - our youngest (5) still uses hers and I can’t say enough good things about it. I’m 6’2” with the Rubicon seat all of the way back, no issues with room at all. Our oldest is in a booster now, so she has a Diono Cambria 2 in our large suv and then a Graco Affix (I think is what they call it), honestly I don’t like the way the Diono attaches to the seat anchors (too much “play” in the straps of You ask me), but the Graco seems solid. I don’t know that you can go wrong with Britax though - I was very impressed.
Sunshades are key - even if the windows are tinted, I’d put them in just to help avoid any bright light on your baby’s face, particularly when you’re trying to get him/her to sleep, etc.
Diaper bag is a must have (even an old backpack would work), just keep it stocked with extra wipes, diapers, and a few changes of clothes. As much as I care about the environment, plastic bags are your friends here - I’d have 5-10 on hand at any given time just in case you have a diaper situation, etc.
extra binkies in the door handles are a good idea as are a few extra blankets. You want to be careful with blankets and plush toys around the babies, so they don’t cover their faces, but blankets are great in case you need to wrap them up for a nap, particularly when the weather cools off again. I’m constantly looking for other add ins for the car to keep my kids occupied, but when they were babies, the aforementioned seemed to work pretty well. Enjoy this time - take lots of pictures and remember to try to sleep when the baby does - congrats again!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Stick me in the "who knew?" group as well, we moved our daughter to front facing when she ran out of room because she was running out of room and got carsick really bad which immediately stopped when we turned her around.
I'm in this group. My son would scream bloody murder endlessly while buckled in to rear-facing seat. We swapped him around at 6 months old and the mood in the vehicle improved a billion percent. Perhaps he was also getting carsick? Infants are such terrible communicators...

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
are there any internal modifications that you all would recommend to make life easier with a newborn/infant?
Call in the grandmas, tug at their emotional strings and get them to do all of the infant/newborn things that you don’t want to do, until the kids are four years old.

At that point you can either deny that the child is yours or you can build a bond with the child.

#BadAdvice
#SomeoneHadToSayIt
#LeavingThisThread
#ThisPostWasMeantToBeFunny

:CWL:

Sponsored

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
That’s generally incorrect.

While laws vary by state, the AAP recommendation is kids stay rear facing until they hit the height or weight limit of the rear facing seat they are in.

(So potentially rear facing until 3-4 years old or 35-45 lbs. as limits vary by brand/seat)
My Graco car seat stated that the car seat could stay in a rear-facing position until 40lbs with the option to transition to forward facing when 22-100lbs. No specific age.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My Graco car seat stated that the car seat could stay in a rear-facing position until 40lbs with the option to transition to forward facing when 22-100lbs. No specific age.
Correct, there is no age restriction. It’s only based on weight or height

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
Correct, there is no age restriction. It’s only based on weight or height
Yep. We felt she looked cramped in the seat while facing rearward. She often placed her outstretched legs on the seat back, which we weren't comfortable with. So when she hit 25lbs, we made the decision to face the seat forward. Her temperament in the car seemed better that she could see in the direction of movement and spot things readily when we called them out.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yep. We felt she looked cramped in the seat while facing rearward. She often placed her outstretched legs on the seat back, which we weren't comfortable with. So when she hit 25lbs, we made the decision to face the seat forward. Her temperament in the car seemed better that she could see in the direction of movement and spot things readily when we called them out.
Based on your seat limits, once she hits 40 lbs is when to flip her from rear to front facing according on AAP, NHTSA guidance

Sponsored

spenat

First Name
nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sting grey JLUR
Clubs

I bought one of those snoggles for AC. Didn’t help with getting more air to the rear.
Going to buy a couple small fans.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I bought one of those snoggles for AC. Didn’t help with getting more air to the rear.
Going to buy a couple small fans.
I bought a pair of fans to mount to the roll bar, haven't installed yet due to this 'Rona virus keeping us at home mostly, but hopefully it helps when I do get around to it.
Sponsored