Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
The one reason we are all suffering with ESS: Unrealistic CAFE standards / timelines imposed by our government (previous administration was especially egregious) on auto manufactures...They are effectively being asked to squeeze blood from a turnip. Washington bureaucrats are great at making knee jerk policies / demands without thinking through all the ramifications of those policies...Take ESS for example, an idea adopted to gain a few tenths of an increase in MPG to help meet CAFE standards. Never-mind the additional resources (additional battery, wiring, electronics) needed to manufacture the ESS components and lets not even mention the shortened longevity of other systems due to constant cycling (starter, batteries, A/C components, engine components themselves)...These more than offset any perceived / claimed MPG gains...
Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Mine is currently in the shop for a new battery since it has not been working for the last 15,000 miles. So some might ask why would I fix it if nothing else is wrong. Well with 40,000 miles on my JLUR I can tell you that the benefit is not when I am offroad or typical city driving. For me....its the long situations stuck in LA traffic, sitting in a drive-thru. Since its been not working I can actually watch my mpg drop by as much as 1 MPG while waiting at In-N-Out......that doesn't sound too bad right. Guess it depends on your personal pocket book.

ESS serves two purposes 1. fuel efficiency and 2. emissions reduction. The fuel efficiency is not the biggest factor to the owner most of the time. But the emmission reductions are something I personally like. I like breathing cleaner air. The EPA tests do engage the ESS but based on the type of city and highway conditions they simulate the ESS does not have a large factor into the MPG, if lucky....0.1 mpg. This tenth is not important to us the general public but to FCA or any other auto-manufacture that 0.1 is a huge deal. Because the CAFE standards is based on all the vehicles a manufacture creates. The manufacture has to have other cars that are being sold that make up the difference of our gas guzzling JL. So the JL has to pull its weight and help the average and whether we like it or not the ESS helps. So when you see one of FCA hybrids or high mpg cars in your way on the road....just remember if it wasn't for them, the JL could not be built.

Now we can say that the CAFE regulations are junk and we should not have them. However for those of us who remember the mid 1970s, with gas lines on odd and even days and the rationing that was in place....we have to recall we were not concerned about gas milage in our typical 6 to 8 mpg 8 cylinders while LA air quality was in the toilet. CAFE standards have required car manufactures to steadily increase the MPG of our cars and reduce emissions.

For me....breathing cleaner air is a good thing. Price of gas will continue to climb each year and as more and more electrics hit the road the cost of gas will get even higher so that terrible stupid ESS will start to feel a lot nicer at some point. Yes, I will turn it off with the difficult switch thing I have to remember when I am off road. One day FCA just may want to have a setting that would allow ESS to be on or off as default...maybe Tazer could help us out here.

For me....without ESS over the past 15000 miles...my mpg dropped to 16.9 mpg. Prior to this I was at 19.1, so I am ready to have it back as much as I hate it.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@xeon although I can say I care nothing about having ESS work for the mileage bump as I have it disabled thru my SSS module I can honestly appreciate your honest and candid reason for wanting it so thanks for the honest intelligent post

Phildo

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
No car should need to sit on a trickle charger while it's parked, some people leave their vehicles at airports for days in the cold and have 0 issues.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well another update...When I went to leave my Scottsdale office the damm warning lights and messages came back, then about half a mile later a 'Stop safely, vehicle will shut off soon' message came on. Stopped and restarted to look at voltage (can't read anything when that message is on) and voltage was 11.4V. Let it sit for about half an hour, started it again and no messages and voltage was 12.5 so I thought I would try driving home-got about 4 miles and 'Stop Safely, vehicle will shut off soon' came back so I drove to the nearest Jeep dealer (luckily about 2 miles from where I was and left it near their serviced lane. ESS is a big load of horse***t!

Got my Rubi back from the dealer today and all seems good! (So far at least...) The tech listed the cause as: "Cable at start/stop relay not connected properly causing intermittent connection with start/stop battery" While I am no fan of ESS systems, it is still incomprehensible why system engineers would allow the failure of a start/stop relay (especially with ESS turned off) to create a condition where you get a warning message reading: "Stop Safely Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon" Maybe FCA should engineer an update that would bypass ESS should a fault be detected...

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Mine is currently in the shop for a new battery since it has not been working for the last 15,000 miles. So some might ask why would I fix it if nothing else is wrong. Well with 40,000 miles on my JLUR I can tell you that the benefit is not when I am offroad or typical city driving. For me....its the long situations stuck in LA traffic, sitting in a drive-thru. Since its been not working I can actually watch my mpg drop by as much as 1 MPG while waiting at In-N-Out......that doesn't sound too bad right. Guess it depends on your personal pocket book.

ESS serves two purposes 1. fuel efficiency and 2. emissions reduction. The fuel efficiency is not the biggest factor to the owner most of the time. But the emmission reductions are something I personally like. I like breathing cleaner air. The EPA tests do engage the ESS but based on the type of city and highway conditions they simulate the ESS does not have a large factor into the MPG, if lucky....0.1 mpg. This tenth is not important to us the general public but to FCA or any other auto-manufacture that 0.1 is a huge deal. Because the CAFE standards is based on all the vehicles a manufacture creates. The manufacture has to have other cars that are being sold that make up the difference of our gas guzzling JL. So the JL has to pull its weight and help the average and whether we like it or not the ESS helps. So when you see one of FCA hybrids or high mpg cars in your way on the road....just remember if it wasn't for them, the JL could not be built.

Now we can say that the CAFE regulations are junk and we should not have them. However for those of us who remember the mid 1970s, with gas lines on odd and even days and the rationing that was in place....we have to recall we were not concerned about gas milage in our typical 6 to 8 mpg 8 cylinders while LA air quality was in the toilet. CAFE standards have required car manufactures to steadily increase the MPG of our cars and reduce emissions.

For me....breathing cleaner air is a good thing. Price of gas will continue to climb each year and as more and more electrics hit the road the cost of gas will get even higher so that terrible stupid ESS will start to feel a lot nicer at some point. Yes, I will turn it off with the difficult switch thing I have to remember when I am off road. One day FCA just may want to have a setting that would allow ESS to be on or off as default...maybe Tazer could help us out here.

For me....without ESS over the past 15000 miles...my mpg dropped to 16.9 mpg. Prior to this I was at 19.1, so I am ready to have it back as much as I hate it.

UPDATE: Received the dreaded call back from the dealer today stating both the main battery and the aux battery would need to be replaced for $650 since I was past 36,000 miles. Luckily for me its not going to be that bad but regardless I think a different battery solution is in order. For $650 I think I should upgrade the battery to something far more substantial. Anyone have any good dual batter options out there?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Received the dreaded call back from the dealer today stating both the main battery and the aux battery would need to be replaced for $650 since I was past 36,000 miles. Luckily for me its not going to be that bad but regardless I think a different battery solution is in order. For $650 I think I should upgrade the battery to something far more substantial. Anyone have any good dual batter options out there?

The only one I know of is the Genesis Dual Battery kit, about $500 plus batteries. I have been looking at this and it will be one of my future upgrades. (Trying to help justify it due to Warn winch I bought) The batteries they offer as an option with the kit weigh 50 pounds each, Optima also has great batteries in the same 25 size class and they weigh just 31 pounds each.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
The only one I know of is the Genesis Dual Battery kit, about $500 plus batteries. I have been looking at this and it will be one of my future upgrades. (Trying to help justify it due to Warn winch I bought) The batteries they offer as an option with the kit weigh 50 pounds each, Optima also has great batteries in the same 25 size class and they weigh just 31 pounds each.

thank you.... expensive but in the long run probably its going to be less time consuming / less costly to replace a standard battery than that tiny aux battery we have now that is stuffed below everything. Going to have add this to my list too.

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
Two weeks into ownership of my JLU, I had a dead aux. battery. This was around July 2019. I installed the Genesys Dual Battery system with the Optima batteries and it has been flawless since. I can leave the Jeep for two weeks in the freezing cold and it starts right up, no problems.

The only quirk I noticed is that if I leave the Jeep for a couple of days without driving, I'll get a Start/Stop disabled. Battery in protection mode. Even if I trickle charge until 100%, I still get the message. It goes away after about 4-5 days. It will reappear whenever I leave Jeep for a couple days. Having said that, the Jeep has never failed to start and no other weird behaviour is present.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I normally put my JL on a trickle charge once a month and leave it connected for a few days and after coming off the charger the combined voltage reading with a meter is 12.9 and it usually reads in that range on the EVIC for several days and then slowly goes up and after about a week or so it displays in the high 13’s on the EVIC then another week or so it’s above 14 and usually stays there unless I go for a really loooong drive ( more than back and fourth to work )

This morning I decided to do a voltage check at the main and temp in the garbage is about 50 deg and it’s been parked since about 6 pm last evening and the EVIC displayed voltage at the time of shutting it off was 14.3, well this a.m voltage showed 12.52-12.55 and from my limited research a fully charged battery is 12.66 volts but that’s at 80 deg so if it is 50 deg where it’s parked then then according to my research the voltage drops .01 volts for every 10 deg drop in temp so that would be 12.63 versus my 12.53 so a guess would be my battery is at approx 95% of fully charged but all works and I have no starting issues or goofy messages so time will tell, my batteries are approx 2+ years old but here in Houston it gets really hot most of the year and that is a battery killer

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

@xeon although I can say I care nothing about having ESS work for the mileage bump as I have it disabled thru my SSS module I can honestly appreciate your honest and candid reason for wanting it so thanks for the honest intelligent post
I paid for ESS, along with many other features when I purchased my Jeep. It should work, whether I choose to use it or not. If it doesn't work, Jeep should reimburse me for it.

As a data point, GMC deactivated the warm wiper fluid in my 2008 GMC Sierra pickup truck. When they did this, GMC reimbursed me for the feature that they took away.

If ESS does not work, FCA owes owners some money. Seeing that this feature is needed to meet EPA emissions obligations, this may be interesting.

toneloc2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler sahara jl
Vehicle Showcase
well hit the 3031 km on mine today and the ess battery issue alert on the dash

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
My ESS Batt was Replaced today. Tech said it was toast..I kinda figured that but at least it was replaced before it caused more problems. My symptoms were a Brief alert on the dash for a few seconds. That light never returned and neither did the normal operation of the ESS for over 3 weeks. I also had to Charge the main battery a few weeks after the ESS light came on and left. I am not sure if that helps anyone else experiencing this. I forgot to look at the Dash voltmeter but i will next time im out and update what it reads now not sure if that may help or not.

Drumr04

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
I also just got the ESS issues this week at ~9000 miles. Been waiting for a call back from the dealership if they have a loaner available because they’re telling me they can’t get me in until sometime in March. I’m not dealing with this six battery issue potentially killing the primary battery and stranding me somewhere because they have a 6 week wait. Besides the ESS message my batt gauge has been 14.0-14.5V under acceleration all week. Used to be in the 12-13V range.
Sponsored