Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
My dealership last week replaced the main battery due to this issue and of course, days later with a good amount of highway driving has not fixed the issue. ESS still has not worked in several weeks. They also mentioned TSB 19-108-19 which I can not find any details on. Needless to say I'll be going back to hopefully get the aux battery replaced which is probably the real issue. It sucks.
So magically ESS started working this morning for the first time in weeks and my voltage reading fell from 14.5 ish all the way down to 12.5 - 13 with no change in driving habits. Weird. Maybe the new main battery charged the aux and is working after a few days of driving
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I would like to hear the resolution on this, currently my JL does not have this issue but if it sits for a few days upon starting the EVIC displayed voltage runs close to 14 and sometimes over but if I drive it for an hour or so each day back and fourth to work it slowly drops to 13.5+ and the only time itā€™s in the high 12ā€™s is when coming off a tender or on a long trip but I have no charging message and ESS works if I let it
Glad to have found this thread. Just started experiencing this ESS battery "never charged" issue. My JLs ESS has worked maybe once in the last month and that was after a two hour highway trip. Shortly after it stopped working again and hasn't been for weeks.

Sounds like I need a new battery.
My dealership last week replaced the main battery due to this issue and of course, days later with a good amount of highway driving has not fixed the issue. ESS still has not worked in several weeks. They also mentioned TSB 19-108-19 which I can not find any details on. Needless to say I'll be going back to hopefully get the aux battery replaced which is probably the real issue. It sucks.
Hello everyone,
We're sorry to hear you're all experiencing concerns with your ESS system. Please feel free to PM us should you decide to work with your dealers. We'd be happy to get a case started for you.
Alex
JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl Sport S, 2018
Dear all,

An update. I received my car after my 4th attempt. They replaced the main battery this time. I sincerely hope this is it. I am beyond frustrated with this process.

A summary:
1st drop off: they replaced the auxiliary battery and refused to replace the main because "it tested ok"
2nd drop off: they said that the ESS was unavailable because an engine light was triggered by a "small evaporation leak". They said the alternator and main battery were both tested. However, the ESS stopped working before the engine light came off.
3rd drop off: they replaced a sensor and once again stated they tested the main battery
4th drop off: They replaced the main battery was triggering a code and got replaced this time. This time, JeepCares was involved in the process.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl Sport S, 2018
Dear all,

An update. I received my car after my 4th attempt. They replaced the main battery this time. I sincerely hope this is it. I am beyond frustrated with this process.

A summary:
1st drop off: they replaced the auxiliary battery and refused to replace the main because "it tested ok"
2nd drop off: they said that the ESS was unavailable because an engine light was triggered by a "small evaporation leak". They said the alternator and main battery were both tested. However, the ESS stopped working before the engine light came off.
3rd drop off: they replaced a sensor and once again stated they tested the main battery
4th drop off: They replaced the main battery was triggering a code and got replaced this time. This time, JeepCares was involved in the process.
I am still thinking about this. I speculate that the dealership is solely guided by the codes that get triggered by the computer. For whatever reason, the main battery is not triggering a code so the dealership does not touch it. So they do not have an actual team that diagnoses problems. They just read codes and react to them. I think JeepCares may have asked them to replace the main battery nevertheless. The dealership is not transparent, so I really do not know what is going on. If the new battery indeed fixes the problem, then I once again speculate that Jeep had a large batch of bad batteries since the probability of two batteries failing is so low. So if you have this problem, you have to go and get your batteries replaced. If Jeep did not have a bad batch of batteries, then something in the engine is killing the batteries or failing to keep them charged, so you still need to get your car to the dealership since it will fail again. The ESS is not really the problem. It just tells you that something is wrong and it is worth checking because it may be more important than just a failing stop/start system. And it is time sensitive because the warranty will expire, and if you are in Texas, you have just two years or 24,000 miles if you intend to sue.

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
I'm having the same issues ESS stopped working and it says battery charging and never seems to go away/get charged. voltage says 14.0, i'm taking it into the dealership on Friday any tip to get this fixed asap?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm having the same issues ESS stopped working and it says battery charging and never seems to go away/get charged. voltage says 14.0, i'm taking it into the dealership on Friday any tip to get this fixed asap?
Hi Frank,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional support is needed, our team is available via PM.
Alex
JeepCares

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
Hi Frank,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional support is needed, our team is available via PM.
Alex
JeepCares
Hi,

do I need to start a case with you if yes I would like to. I want this looked after with as little headaches as possible. Iā€™ve not had any issues with my Jeep thus far and want to keep the experience positive. Iā€™m sitting at the dealership now. @ Coquitlam Chrysler, coquitlam, BC Canada. Can you provide me a case file number?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi,

do I need to start a case with you if yes I would like to. I want this looked after with as little headaches as possible. Iā€™ve not had any issues with my Jeep thus far and want to keep the experience positive. Iā€™m sitting at the dealership now. @ Coquitlam Chrysler, coquitlam, BC Canada. Can you provide me a case file number?
Hi Frank,
I apologize as I did not look at your location. Our team is not authorized to work with customers outside of the United States. I have included a link below that includes the contact information for Canadian Customer Care. We recommend reaching out to them for additional assistance.
https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/footer/Pages/contacts.aspx
Alex
JeepCares

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
Update on my work. Went into the dealer they replaced the AUX battery after testing found it was bad. ESS works again and battery and voltage back to normal. Dealership was great and did a good job.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
ESS is a very poor idea for a vehicle which is designed to be used off road...I would like to totally eliminate this on my JL-for good. My 19 Ram Longhorn has power everything, no ESS, one battery and at 21,000 miles has not had one single problem (same as my previous 16 Ram with 77,000 miles) Now back to my 2020 JLR... Service Start-Stop System notice popped up last night as I was driving around trying to put some miles on her before modding and before first off road trip, also had red battery light and amber ! warning sign come on. This happened at just 132 miles and one day after delivery. I think there may be a conventional dual battery setup in my future (always have done this on past 4x4's whenever I added a winch) however underhood space does look incredibly tight...

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on my 'Service Start-Stop' and red battery / amber ! symbol warnings: Started this morning and got Start-Stop not working due to cold condition (normal) then the Service/Batt/! came back on, drove about 3 blocks and stopped for breakfast. When I started her afterwards all was normal and no service messages or warning lights. Drove about 30 miles and so far, so good. I will be scrapping this ESS battery system and going with a conventional dual battery system...

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
I agree with 4xFun !! I have a 2012 Ram with the orignial battery & no problems. ESS is a real pain !!! I will never buy another FCA vehicle with ESS.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with 4xFun !! I have a 2012 Ram with the orignial battery & no problems. ESS is a real pain !!! I will never buy another FCA vehicle with ESS.

Well another update...When I went to leave my Scottsdale office the damm warning lights and messages came back, then about half a mile later a 'Stop safely, vehicle will shut off soon' message came on. Stopped and restarted to look at voltage (can't read anything when that message is on) and voltage was 11.4V. Let it sit for about half an hour, started it again and no messages and voltage was 12.5 so I thought I would try driving home-got about 4 miles and 'Stop Safely, vehicle will shut off soon' came back so I drove to the nearest Jeep dealer (luckily about 2 miles from where I was and left it near their serviced lane. ESS is a big load of horse***t!

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Well another update...When I went to leave my Scottsdale office the damm warning lights and messages came back, then about half a mile later a 'Stop safely, vehicle will shut off soon' message came on. Stopped and restarted to look at voltage (can't read anything when that message is on) and voltage was 11.4V. Let it sit for about half an hour, started it again and no messages and voltage was 12.5 so I thought I would try driving home-got about 4 miles and 'Stop Safely, vehicle will shut off soon' came back so I drove to the nearest Jeep dealer (luckily about 2 miles from where I was and left it near their serviced lane. ESS is a big load of horse***t!
sounds like you either have a failed battery or bad alternator...

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The ESS system that FCA chose to design and install is poor at best so all we can hope for is an easy fix in the near future that will allow us to remove it, the Genesis system is one system but it does not eliminate ESS it only replace the smaller battery with a larger easier to get to one and thatā€™s ok if you can afford it but hopefully something less costly arrives on the market soon until then I will keep my ESS jumper handy, I have since getting my jumper I have it installed all the time but went to a 50 amp fuse just keep the fuse pulled until needed and the ESS negative is attached with a wing nut
Sponsored