Sponsored

Steering vibration between 50 and 60 mph

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Maybe the bigger tires and lift exacerbate an already weak/failing component. Like you, I’ve kinda run out of things to replace, adjust, or tighten.
Without a doubt they aren't helping. It did this with the stock wheels and tires, though not as bad.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
So I’m back at it, replaced the ball joints, and upgraded from the JKS adjustable track bar to the steer smarts yeti. That annoying vibration is still there, and the ride quality is absolute garbage on southern Cali roads/freeways.

at this point I don’t know what else to do or check. Nothing looks loose, everything is torqued. Alignment is good. Tires are road force balanced.

is it possible this is some kind of issue with the control arm bushingS wearing out? Other than the fixed length JKS lowers they’re all the OEM ones and I’m at ~35k miles.

The only other thing is swapping out the shocks from Fox to something else, though I’m not sure this would address the issues.

Thoughts?

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Is the front axle centered left to right? When you installed the lift you tightened and torqued the control arms with the Jeep on the ground?

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates on your fix for this? I just put in D44 and 37 and now have the same problem with a drowning noise above 60.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Any updates on your fix for this? I just put in D44 and 37 and now have the same problem with a drowning noise above 60.
No unfortunately. I took it to a local off-road shop to have them drive it and take a look at things. They did find one of my drag link ends had gone bad. I was hoping that was it…just replaced it, but the vibration (which is more like a pulsing rather than a vibration) is still there. It’s less pronounced now but I think it was starting to feel worse because two unrelated issues were compounding to make it seem worse.

so, I don’t know. I think maybe the next step is try to find someone with an extra set of known good wheels/tires to see if that changes anything. Maybe it’s the steel wheels and 35’s (they’re about 110lbs a piece) that’s over stressing the suspension? Or there’s an internal issue with the wheels/tires? (I don’t think it’s this one because the vibration is there even after rotating the tires) Maybe try balancing again (that’s what the shop owner thinks is the issue) Maybe fully adjustable control arms to kick the caster out to 7*? These are all potential “solutions” that I’ve been told.

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
The pulsing is what I have. I too am thinking its the tires . Have been playing with air pressure up to 40 right now. Will be rotating the tires to see if I have a bad one. Overall it seems to be much less but still not sure. When I chalk test them 29-30 is the sweet spot. I have a Clayton 2.5 overland lift with adjustable lower and upper control arms. Not sure what my caster is? I will keep it posted

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
The pulsing is what I have. I too am thinking its the tires . Have been playing with air pressure up to 40 right now. Will be rotating the tires to see if I have a bad one. Overall it seems to be much less but still not sure. When I chalk test them 29-30 is the sweet spot. I have a Clayton 2.5 overland lift with adjustable lower and upper control arms. Not sure what my caster is? I will keep it posted
I’m going to try getting things rebalanced as well. Maybe the tire shop screwed something up. I’m at about 28 PSI, that’s the most comfortable spot, but I definitely tried a ton of pressures, up to 40, down as low as 24. Maybe it’s time to get the wifey to let me buy new aluminum wheels! Hahaha

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to try getting things rebalanced as well. Maybe the tire shop screwed something up. I’m at about 28 PSI, that’s the most comfortable spot, but I definitely tried a ton of pressures, up to 40, down as low as 24. Maybe it’s time to get the wifey to let me buy new aluminum wheels! Hahaha
28 is what i like the 40 did not work much except making the ride harder. What tires are you running? I have the Nitto TrailGrappler.

Sponsored

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Ever get this figured out?

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Unfortunately no. I installed adjustable control arms and adjusted caster to about 7*. So far it hasn’t changed anything.

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
You still running the aluminum steering box?
no I replaced that a while ago. The only two things left really are the pro comp steel wheels and the synergy tie rod. I’m kinda wondering if the weight of the wheels is causing the synergy tie rod to develop a dynamic vibration at certain speeds. So maybe it’s both. I’ve got a steersmarts tie rod that I haven’t had time to put on yet. Maybe that will fix it. If not, maybe I need to get some aluminum wheels to reduce the weight. Or both?

Reactions: KNN

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
no I replaced that a while ago. The only two things left really are the pro comp steel wheels and the synergy tie rod. I’m kinda wondering if the weight of the wheels is causing the synergy tie rod to develop a dynamic vibration at certain speeds. So maybe it’s both. I’ve got a steersmarts tie rod that I haven’t had time to put on yet. Maybe that will fix it. If not, maybe I need to get some aluminum wheels to reduce the weight. Or both?
ever since I installed the synergy tierod and draglink I got what you described. I’ve changed a lot of other things since then but still eh. Probably going to get the rpm aluminum setup or similar during this weeks sales. If that doesn’t solve it going psc hydro and be done haha
Sponsored