2019 JL sport engine jerking between 45-50 mph

Rum Runner

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Just got the jeep 3 weeks ago and everything was fine until a couple days ago. Its starting to jerk now between 45-50 mph every 2 seconds. Its almost like the brakes are being tapped when im only going a constant speed, not there when accelerating or slowing down. I have seen where others have had this issue, is there any fix for it? thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just got the jeep 3 weeks ago and everything was fine until a couple days ago. Its starting to jerk now between 43-50 mph every 2 seconds. Its almost like the brakes are being tapped when im only going a constant speed, not there when accelerating or slowing down. I have seen where others have had this issue, is there any fix for it? thanks
You should turn on the gear indicator in the EVIC settings and then pay very close attention to it while you drive and see if that jerk happens when the transmission is upshifting or downshifting. And note the gear numbers, for example if you feel the jerk when the transmission shifts between 3rd and 4th or maybe it’s between 4th and 5th etc
This will help you narrow down the issue and see if the transmission is causing it or if it’s from the engine itself, or maybe another component in the drivetrain.

jordanblaze

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just got the jeep 3 weeks ago and everything was fine until a couple days ago. Its starting to jerk now between 45-50 mph every 2 seconds. Its almost like the brakes are being tapped when im only going a constant speed, not there when accelerating or slowing down. I have seen where others have had this issue, is there any fix for it? thanks
Having the very same issue. Around 50 miles an hour (7th or 8th gear) a feeling of brake tapping or downshifting or a spark plug not firing while at a constant speed. It doesn't occur near shift points. I've watched the gear indicator. Supposed to go on a long trip at the end of the month and this is NOT inspiring confidence that I'll make it to where I'm going.

jordanblaze

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So, I another thread, someone suggested going into the fuse box and ensuring all the rules & relays were seated properly. It was shocking how many were not fully seated and it also seems to have alleviated the issue. Give it a try. I hope it works for you too.

OP
OP
Rum Runner

Rum Runner

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
So, I another thread, someone suggested going into the fuse box and ensuring all the rules & relays were seated properly. It was shocking how many were not fully seated and it also seems to have alleviated the issue. Give it a try. I hope it works for you too.
awesome, thanks. Yea it seemed to of went away after a few days, i will definitely check the fuse box to see if thats the culprit.

Sponsored

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have this in my 2021 JLUR, manual transmission.

On gradual acceleration anywhere between 41-45 mph, the feeling noted above occurs--like a brake tap, a power drop, an engine miss, something like that. I've had this Jeep for six weeks, and it's always done it, and it's most obvious under light acceleration and gone under hard acceleration.

I guess I'll check all the fuses and see if any seat down better. So annoying.

OP
OP
Rum Runner

Rum Runner

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
I have this in my 2021 JLUR, manual transmission.

On gradual acceleration anywhere between 41-45 mph, the feeling noted above occurs--like a brake tap, a power drop, an engine miss, something like that. I've had this Jeep for six weeks, and it's always done it, and it's most obvious under light acceleration and gone under hard acceleration.

I guess I'll check all the fuses and see if any seat down better. So annoying.
that sounds almost identical to the issues i was having. Except mine only happened during a constant speed with no acceleration or deceleration.

Justhiller

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU ‘19
I have a JLU sport with the automatic V6. I just noticed it doing this today. Going around 45 it feels like someone is tapping on the breaks or a slight jerk. Anyone figure out the underlying issue? I’m planning a long drive soon and hope it’s not engine related.

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler willys sport jlu
I have a 2021 jlu Willys..2 months in between 40 and 55 I noticed the exact same symptoms ie like break tapping at 2 second intervals..I was on empty( thought it might be a fuel issue) and filled my gas tank and it went away..then a month later it did it again..saw on here about the fuse box..at least 7 of the larger relays or fuses were not seated properly and were loose...re seated all and now a week later it has not happened again..will re post in a month or so to see if that fixed it..thanks for heads up..

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
Does your jeep have adaptive cruise control?

My jeep grand cherokee has that and I was feeling the same thing. Once I turned it off, it went away.....just my experience.

Sponsored

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler willys sport jlu
Does your jeep have adaptive cruise control?

My jeep grand cherokee has that and I was feeling the same thing. Once I turned it off, it went away.....just my experience.
Thanks for the tip..I don't believe I have the ACC..i do have cruise control though..mine is a willys sport..if i did have ACC would gladly trade for power locks..lol..but will double check..

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Just started having same issue after 40k miles and a 1500mi road trip. Gased up for the final 100mi leg and got on freeway. Noticed it in 8th gear when accelerating or maintaining speed with pedal at anything below 73mph. Wouldn't happen when coasting. Also happened at low speeds in 7th gear. Felt like down shifting or braking every 2 seconds but remained in 8th gear (or 7th when in 7th).

Anyone ever have this diagnosed by dealer? Anyone have it return? I pushed in all relays and hoping a "hard reset" of vehicle computer helps?

Please update us if you ever learned anything else on this

Motor Feed

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Just started having same issue after 40k miles and a 1500mi road trip. Gased up for the final 100mi leg and got on freeway. Noticed it in 8th gear when accelerating or maintaining speed with pedal at anything below 73mph. Wouldn't happen when coasting. Also happened at low speeds in 7th gear. Felt like down shifting or braking every 2 seconds but remained in 8th gear (or 7th when in 7th).

Anyone ever have this diagnosed by dealer? Anyone have it return? I pushed in all relays and hoping a "hard reset" of vehicle computer helps?

Please update us if you ever learned anything else on this
Did you ever get this figured out? My 2019 is doing the same thing. There are several threads on this problem but nobody ever posts any solutions. Lol. They just disappear.

Motor Feed

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Did you ever get this figured out?

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Did you ever get this figured out? My 2019 is doing the same thing. There are several threads on this problem but nobody ever posts any solutions. Lol. They just disappear.
Best I can tell, it was fuses and or relays that were not seated well . I pushed everything down and noticed several were not firmly seated. I think this just happened over 40k plus miles and lots of off roading. After I did this, the problem was gone and hasnt come back 10k miles later still good. I now push everything down in the fuse box (relays, fuses, etc) every time I change the oil.
Sponsored