First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Overland Hemi, Ordering 2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Retired AT&T Executive
First I accidentally fixed my 62 to 65 mph vibration and loose steering/wandering for my 2019 march mfgr Rubicon 2 door. I can only state what I have done works for my jeep.
First, I removed the rear drive shaft to have it re-balanced but balancing shop couldn't do it due to the flange vs U joint termination points. So reinstalled but rotated the alignment one hole from factory alignment marks. Note the drive shaft has four weld on balancing weights ( a piece of crap for a new drive shaft). Bottom line the 62 mph vibration is gone completely. All vibrations are gone.

Second issue steering slop/wandering.......yes I have read all the posts on this issue some partial fixes have been suggested buy replacing steering boxes, drag link , track bar, and stabilizer. My fix was simple. I lowered tire pressure to 34 lbs and tightened the steering connection nut where the steering post connects to the steering box. Simply reach in behind the front left wheel shield, turn the wheel slightly and with an extension sock tighten. Mine was loose two nut turns.

Steering is now tight---what a pleasure it is to drive....even slide drifting on gravel roads.
Conclusion.......After dealing with two dealers / Wave/ Stars/ Dealer experts and their stupidity, deception, lies, real crappy service managers......sometimes it better to solve the issues yourself.
Sponsored

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
You don't by chance have a picture of the steering connection nut as I would like to try that fix

Bruc29

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Utility worker
Would like to see where this is also if you don’t mind snapping a few pics

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Second issue steering slop/wandering.......yes I have read all the posts on this issue some partial fixes have been suggested buy replacing steering boxes, drag link , track bar, and stabilizer. My fix was simple. I lowered tire pressure to 34 lbs and tightened the steering connection nut where the steering post connects to the steering box. Simply reach in behind the front left wheel shield, turn the wheel slightly and with an extension sock tighten. Mine was loose two nut turns.

Steering is now tight---what a pleasure it is to drive....even slide drifting on gravel roads.
Conclusion.......After dealing with two dealers / Wave/ Stars/ Dealer experts and their stupidity, deception, lies, real crappy service managers......sometimes it better to solve the issues yourself.
Are you referring to the bolt or a nut? Looks like you might be talking about the bolt that is facing the driver's side front wheel that connects the steering shaft to the steering gear box. What was the torque numbers for it? Here are the specs in general, but not sure which one you are referring to.

I think this post is referring to the same bolt, he is calling it a tension bolt, but might be different than what you are referring to. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...g-the-dreaded-steering-issue-on-18-jlu.30604/

Sponsored

Bruc29

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Utility worker
I think I know which bolt he is referring to, I believe it’s where the drag link connects to and u tighten that nut/bolt, I’ll try and take a pic of it tomorrow it’s too dark now

OP
OP
Mooselook

Mooselook

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AT&T Executive
Yes Tumbleweed this is the bolt we tightened....I said nut but it is a bolt.......be careful, as I believe it may thread into aluminum. How we found the slop was I slightly turned the steering wheel slop two to three inches while another (Dom at Dom's Jeep Repair) in Rangeley ME) held the pitman from moving and we noticed the steering wheel still moved and the pitman did not move. He noticed there was some movement in the steering post where it connects to the steering box while the pitman didn't move. He then tightened the steering bolt you show . Believe me it really fixed the issue on my new Rubicon......Others my want to investigate and try tightening. I do not know the torque setting-------so be careful.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Yes Tumbleweed this is the bolt we tightened....I said nut but it is a bolt.......be careful, as I believe it may thread into aluminum. How we found the slop was I slightly turned the steering wheel slop two to three inches while another (Dom at Dom's Jeep Repair) in Rangeley ME) held the pitman from moving and we noticed the steering wheel still moved and the pitman did not move. He noticed there was some movement in the steering post where it connects to the steering box while the pitman didn't move. He then tightened the steering bolt you show . Believe me it really fixed the issue on my new Rubicon......Others my want to investigate and try tightening. I do not know the torque setting-------so be careful.

Thanks a ton, unfortunately mines pretty tight as it is so i wanted to check if that was the right bolt or not.

OP
OP
Mooselook

Mooselook

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AT&T Executive
Don't forget, to reduce tire pressure to 34 lbs, also I had my front end toe in adjusted by a non dealer --Townfair where minor adjustments were made to achieve the current spec, which I believe is 0.020 +- 015......I believe .030 is about right.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Don't forget, to reduce tire pressure to 34 lbs, also I had my front end toe in adjusted by a non dealer --Townfair where minor adjustments were made to achieve the current spec, which I believe is 0.020 +- 015......I believe .030 is about right.
Mine actually came from the dealer at 26-28 psi lol. i put those up to 35 immediately.
Ill have to have the toe in checked when i bring it in for my first oil change. thanks for the tip!
Sponsored