Squeal at start-up

Durango18

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge durango 2018 3.6 pentastar,and dodge durango 2007 5.7 hemi
I have the same issue. I also hear a similar squeal or whine noise when I accelerate. I have about 13K miles on mine.
Not sure if thats the same issue,you could have a pulley or belt worn.
Sponsored

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Noticed the squeal, will try light pressure tmrw and report back!

Durango18

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Noticed the squeal, will try light pressure tmrw and report back!
Havent heard it for a month or so,light pressure100%

First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Hi everyone - just got my JLU 5 days ago with 7k on it. Mine squeals LOUD & it happens whether its my autostart or if I'm starting it myself. Are your guys' sound going away shortly there after starting it? This is my first Jeep and between this and the display problems I'm having it is super deflating for this being my "dream vehicle". All help is appreciated here.
(Side note: what is ESS? Electronic start/stop?)

Thanks fam

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone - just got my JLU 5 days ago with 7k on it. Mine squeals LOUD & it happens whether its my autostart or if I'm starting it myself. Are your guys' sound going away shortly there after starting it? This is my first Jeep and between this and the display problems I'm having it is super deflating for this being my "dream vehicle". All help is appreciated here.
(Side note: what is ESS? Electronic start/stop?)

Thanks fam
Find out who previous owner was. 2018 with only 7000 miles, maybe somebody’s buy back for problems and resold to you!

Sponsored

First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Find out who previous owner was. 2018 with only 7000 miles, maybe somebody’s buy back for problems and resold to you!
I bought it CPO from a dealership and the vehicle history came back with no red flags. Not sure if this helps?

Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi
@theroamingcolt ... you are still under warranty. Take it in for service. If it's as loud as you say... something is not quite right. I get the squeal very intermittently, and it's not all that loud.

First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
@theroamingcolt ... you are still under warranty. Take it in for service. If it's as loud as you say... something is not quite right. I get the squeal very intermittently, and it's not all that loud.
Thank you! It's been below zero in my neck of the woods for weeks now so I'm starting to wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it. Warmed up to about 0 degrees F and the squeal is much quieter and intermittent now too.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Good thread. For those who don’t read then barely tough the brake when you start it and you should have no squeal.

Durango18

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good thread. For those who don’t read then barely tough the brake when you start it and you should have no squeal.
Tough=touch
Ya that has been working for me

Sponsored

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
Is it constant or only for a few seconds on start up? Ive had issues with a few where i thought it was a belt, but itcwas actually the vacuum pump. . The vacuum pump os on the front of the engine and it sounds like a belt going out, but the ones ive encountered happen for short period of time on start up then goes away/quiets down

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi. This was posted somewhere else here. The fix is simple. Push the brake in and let your foot off it - as it's coming up, push the start button. There will be no squeal. Takes a bit of time to get the timing right, but it solves the issue. Try it!

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hi. This was posted somewhere else here. The fix is simple. Push the brake in and let your foot off it - as it's coming up, push the start button. There will be no squeal. Takes a bit of time to get the timing right, but it solves the issue. Try it!

jchie21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2D
Well the dealership gave me an "answer" they said that it is normal for the squeal noise upon first start up when its warm caused by the belt.....

Then why does it not happen when i take my foot off the brake when i start it?
Has anyone found the root cause of the squeal yet? I'm pretty sure its not the belt?!?!

Last edited:

Durango18

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the dealership gave me an "answer" they said that it is normal for the squeal noise upon first start up when its warm caused by the belt.....

Then why does it not happen when i take my foot off the brake when i start it?
Has anyone found the root cause of the squeal yet? I't pretty sure its not the belt?!?!
Its most probably got to do with the vacuum pump/brake booster's design
Sponsored