Sponsored

Squeal at start-up

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I have a squeal and a thump. Took it to my dealership today and got the expected reply: "Couldn't reproduce the problem." When I pressed them and showed them, they said, they "feel at this time, the noises heard are normal condition only at this time."

Be grateful if you have a dealership who actually admits there's a problem. Most dealership service departments are mindless parts replacers. Diagnostics is a dwindling art. If there's no TSB (or the guy working on your car that day isn't particularly good with computers or numbers), the problem does not exist.

For fun, here's a montage of my startup noises.

LOL - Love it!!!!
Sponsored

JJexp

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 68 Y body coupe.
Occupation
G650 driver
I’m almost certain that the noise we’re hearing is coming from the starter. Back when I was a flight instructor, the school I worked for had 45 or so airplanes. Six of them were Grumman Yankees, and they all made the same sound as our Jeeps.

When starting the engine, as you moved the key from start, the engine would squeal. The noise was the result of the starter being deenergized, and the starter solenoid retracting. Specifically, it was caused by the friction from the starter gear rubbing against the flywheel gear teeth while retracting that made the noise.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’m almost certain that the noise we’re hearing is coming from the starter. Back when I was a flight instructor, the school I worked for had 45 or so airplanes. Six of them were Grumman Yankees, and they all made the same sound as our Jeeps.

When starting the engine, as you moved the key from start, the engine would squeal. The noise was the result of the starter being deenergized, and the starter solenoid retracting. Specifically, it was caused by the friction from the starter gear rubbing against the flywheel gear teeth while retracting that made the noise.
hehe love this explanation and description. Cool! :sun:

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
Hey Everyone,
11,250 kms in and I have the same "belt squeal" at start up. Seems to more pronounced as the weather warms, however could just be that the windows are down. It's actually an embarrassing sound, sometimes louder than other times. If anyone has had this diagnosed, the info would be helpful. I have the first JL in my town and I fear the Service Department or the technicians will have no clue about repairing it. I refuse to believe that is a "normal" sound as some have suggested.
Thanks,
This is not Normal, please don't let and dealership tell you that is. They are only saying that because they are to incompetent to fix the issue.

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
Hey Guys I personally haven't experienced this noise, but from the explanations and the Youtube videos I have watch it sounds to me like as soon as the engine starts up the squeal happens then immediately goes away. This could be from the actual starter not retracting the plunger (small gear) quick enough therefor its in a overrunning condition. kinda like on an older vehicle if you were to hold the starter after the engine had started. The starter would actually be engaged. I think this could be happening for a split second therefor causing the noise. NO gaurentees. Has anyone with this problem and had the starter replaced. I did see that someone had the flex plate replaced but no fix. The reason for that is the dealer though that the flex plate was cracked maybe , we have seen this in other Powertrain combinations. but thot the 3.6/ZF

Sponsored

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
same noise, oddly enough-- when the ess is active at a stop light, and it turns back on; no squeal.

It's only from the first startup does it do it
I agree with you the exact same issue with mine on first start.

Josh903

First Name
Josue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Mine with 650 miles does the exact same sound. Only after letting it sit for at least 15 minutes after having driven it. Doesn't do it on cold starts.

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
I’m more concerned with the loud ass thump mine does the same thing and you can feel it in the seat.. did you ever get anywhere with this at the dealer?

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I experimented with my vehicle a bit and believe I found what the noise is related to. In my vehicle it only seems to occur when the brake pedal is pressed upon(such as when starting the vehicle from inside but not remote start). If I put hardly any pressure on the brake when starting then it doesn't do it either.

Sponsored

bikenutty

First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Silver 2018 Ford Raptor Crew Cab 2012 ZX10R 2007 FJR1300 2018 Honda NC750X 2015 Yamaha 212SS Jet Boat
Occupation
Facilities Engineering Lead
could be a hydraulic or vacuum noise? I have it too now for 4000 miles. also hear what sounds like cam chain or variable cam timing noise on startup after eng has been off enough to loose oil pressure.

$$

Tintop

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I experimented with my vehicle a bit and believe I found what the noise is related to. In my vehicle it only seems to occur when the brake pedal is pressed upon(such as when starting the vehicle from inside but not remote start). If I put hardly any pressure on the brake when starting then it doesn't do it either.
Great find. I tested this with mine and got the same results. Zero squeal when the brake isn't pressed. Interesting.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
maybe pressing the break and engaging the motor is causing some pressurization on the break system at startup. I too have this sound in my SPORT and it makes the vehicle sound cheap. but Its VERY FAST and I hear it more on cold starts than warm.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It has worked for me I barely keep my foot on the peddle after hitting the ignition button and haven’t had any squealing - I would here it every morning but haven’t this week since I started this.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
I've tried your startup procedure and have had no high pitched squeal or the occasional clunk sound at all this week. Thanks!

I'm guessing that a firmware update will resolve this issue since the computer controls everything. I am hopeful that Jeep issues a TSB for it.
Sponsored