Sponsored

Sport Altitude or Rubicon

MichaelCW90

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord (Soon to be 2021 Wrangler hopefully)
Hey guys,

Long time Jeep lover! My first car was an '86 CJ7 in fire engine red. I loved the little thing- or as we referred to it- "Putt Putt". But as an 18 year old boy I wanted something faster that could actually drive on the freeway without feeling like it was gonna fall apart. Ended up selling it for a newer truck. Always wanted to get into a Wrangler though.

I've done hours and hours of research on the different trims and what I'm going to want to get. I've decided im most likely going to need to special order mine. I want certain options and after waiting all this time I'm not just going to settle for whatever they have on the lot.

The Rubicon is obviously the best of the best being the top of the line for off-roading. I know I will be gong off-roading occasionally. However, I doubt I'm going to be doing anything extreme, mostly just trails off-road. No rock crawling for me. So I'm kind of at a dilemma. I know because the rubicon has the bigger wheels and different gearing it gets worse gas mileage than the other trims. I don't want a Sahara because I like the look of the black fenders. I don't want the body color fenders.

What is everyones opinion of the Sport Altitude trim? I like that it comes with the black badging, black wheels, and hard top standard. And it has the ability to add all of the options and packages that I am looking for. It would cost thousands less and get better gas mileage than the Rubicon. If this was a fun weekend car the Rubicon would be awesome. But it is going to be my daily driver for now, so I think I might need to be more practical.
Sponsored

mac6898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ
I'm pretty much in the same boat... Want the Rubi but don't really need the Rubi for what I do, so its hard to justify the added expense and I'm researching other trims. Have you considered the Willys edition? Fairly comparable in price and seems to have at least some of what you're looking for (black badging and black wheels standard, plus a black grille), in addition to some added off road benefits that the Sport Altitude doesn't have standard (mud terrain tires, Rubi shocks, Rubi rails, HD brakes, and Dana 44 with LSD... maybe more that I can't think of right now).

Just a thought. Good luck with your search!

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
JMHO...the road I took, and I don't regret, is I bought a base model, got a Rubicon take off suspension, Installed it and put on 33's. I was like you, I didn't need the full Rubicon package (and really didn't want to pay for it either, there was quite a price difference) and I have taken the jeep out on the trails and dirt roads with no problems. I have had no issues in snow either.... I don't think there was ever a day I said " I wish I had a Rubicon"

Now to those that have the Rubicon and take them out hard wheeling:clap:, I mean no disrespect! :blush: For the terrain I use mine in, I don't feel I need lockers and such. (of course I would never refuse any parts off a Rubicon if it was offered:fingerscrossed:)

But really, think about what you will use your jeep for and build it (or buy it) for those reasons....

Good luck guys!!!:like:

Jdsmoke

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport 2 door
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Healthcare
I considered the Rubicon but ended up w a Sport S. I figured I would end up w a lift and 35 tires and I don’t do enough extreme off roading to really need lockers. This saved me selling parts I didn’t need and saving on the purchase price. They are vary capable cars in stock form

OP
OP

MichaelCW90

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord (Soon to be 2021 Wrangler hopefully)
I'm pretty much in the same boat... Want the Rubi but don't really need the Rubi for what I do, so its hard to justify the added expense and I'm researching other trims. Have you considered the Willys edition? Fairly comparable in price and seems to have at least some of what you're looking for (black badging and black wheels standard, plus a black grille), in addition to some added off road benefits that the Sport Altitude doesn't have standard (mud terrain tires, Rubi shocks, Rubi rails, HD brakes, and Dana 44 with LSD... maybe more that I can't think of right now).

Just a thought. Good luck with your search!

I have checked out the Willy's. I like the wheels on it more than the Sport Altitude, but I don't really care for the black grill. I feel like I would end up taking it off and replacing it and that would be a waste of money. I think I would be ok with the shocks that the Sport Altitude has, And as far as the rails I think I want to get the aftermarket ones that extend when the door opens and have under lighting. If I don't get the Rubicon it will definitely be the Sport Altitude. Although I saw the 2021 order guide that just got released and it has an "Islander" trim level listed. I'm wondering what that will be about. It will be at least a couple months before I order mine so hopefully soon they start releasing more info about the 2021's than just the order guide. I'm curious.

Sponsored

Mossy76

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu altitude
My 21 sport altitude on 33s. No lift yet. Looking at the rubicon take off suspension. Any thoughts?

20211129_113319.jpg

kiddy2fan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer, 2011 Honda Civic
My 21 sport altitude on 33s. No lift yet. Looking at the rubicon take off suspension. Any thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Altitude or Rubicon 20211129_113319
what size tire you got there? 275/70 BFG All Terrain? I'm taking my sport altitude to the tire shop next week and cant make up my mind.

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
My wife has the Sport Altitude. It has been a great daily and was comfortable on long trips. It has been quite capable of navigating the gravel/dirt roads around here, even poorly maintained ones. If you aren't looking to go crazy, should be what you are looking for. I'd also note that I have seen some videos of Sports conquering decent trails.

Sponsored

kiddy2fan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer, 2011 Honda Civic
I think the Altitude is the perfect blend of all the trims offered. I sorted through all the available offerings for a week gathering pricing and available options on each one and pulled the trigger on the Altitude. I specked mine out with the following: 2.0 turbo with auto trans, lsd rear end, towing package, cold weather group, 8.4 premium audio and navigation and the dual top group. Other than getting some crappy highway tires I have been impressed with the all the improvements of the JL.

Vance

First Name
Vance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ON ORDER 2022 Wrangler Sport Altitude
I'm brand new to the Jeep world, but I have been researching for weeks and this past Saturday we ordered a Sport Altitude. I feel like it's going to do everything and more than I want it to do. Good Luck!!!

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
I'm picking up my altitude diesel over the weekend. For me it made the most sense as i dont really need the lockers and 4:1 tcase.

With more torque down low the diesel has less need for the 4:1, some say it is too low, and you get dana 44s front and rear with the limited slip. So the axles are just as strong and gearing is the same with 3.73 across the board.

I also enjoy doing modifications and upgrades on my own and saw a lot of that being the same altitude or rubicon.

So thats my thought process.... I'm sure you'll be happy whichever way you ultimately decide to go.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
The way I optioned the Sport
altitude then shopped for tires and wheels (hate the black wheels and small tires) to the tune of $3,000 I was in hardtop Rubicon price range. No brainer. I will be ordering a Rubi.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

I was going back and forth with a Willys or Rubicon, and the price difference between the two after I upgraded the Willys to what I was after ws almost equal to the Rubicon had even with a few upgrades on it.

All depends upon your needs, I don't wheel much, and trashing a 50 thousand plus vechile is not high on my list, have a 80 Toyota pickup for that, and figured 10-15 years from now the Rubicon will make a good trail beast then, and even worst case scenario it has a higher resale...

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored