Sport Altitude Ride Quality

Scott2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ
I’m finally in the “getting serious” stage leading up to a custom order.

I’m trying to compare the daily driver ride of a Sport S vs a Sahara. I recently test drove both and the difference in ride between Sahara and Sport was more significant than I recall in past test drives.

I now am curious about a Sport Altitude. How would the ride of the Sport Altitude compare? I see it has the upgraded suspension that matches the Sahara. What about the shocks? Is there anything else to consider that makes the ride not as smooth as the Sahara?

I’m planning to go to another dealer with a Sport Altitude in stock soon but would appreciate some feedback.
Sponsored

Lioska

First Name
Alioscha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 sport altitude and I love the ride. It has the same shocks and HD breaks as the Sahara.

The ride with the stock tires was really good. I changed the tires to Nitto Ridge and it still rides pretty good but was a bit better with the stock tires which is expected.

I did change the steering gear box (TSB) and that made the most in terms of improving the ride quality.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sahara’s secret to a smooth ride is in its shocks and tires, so if Sport Altitude shares Sahara’s shocks and tires —along with the big brakes and 18” wheels, it ought to ride just as smoothly.

My Sahara has the Cold Weather Group so it came with the optional Bridgestone Dueler ATs: I replaced them with 33” KO2s and the ride remains smooth.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Scott, let’s face it, no wrangler is terrific for a daily driver. None of them compare to a sedan for that purpose and the differences between the wrangler models in this respect is pretty small.

i would encourage you not to focus too much on the “ride quality” between wranglers. After 10 minutes in whatever Jeep you choose, you will not notice differences anymore. You will only notice how fun it is to drive. I would further encourage you to buy the wrangler model that your passions and wallet allow. If you follow your passions and wallet over any difference in ride quality, you will likely have zero regrets. If you focus on “daily driving” ahead of your passion for model B, you may “wish that I had bought model B instead”.

For the record, I daily drive a Rubicon. It drives like a wrangler and causes me no concern. I wanted a Rubicon. /story.

Good luck with your choice!

OP
OP
Scott2

Scott2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ
I have a 2020 sport altitude and I love the ride. It has the same shocks and HD breaks as the Sahara.

The ride with the stock tires was really good. I changed the tires to Nitto Ridge and it still rides pretty good but was a bit better with the stock tires which is expected.

I did change the steering gear box (TSB) and that made the most in terms of improving the ride quality.
Good to hear, thanks! I'd probably keep stock tires for a little while. I read a bit about the TSB. I'm glad it worked out for you. An annoying problem to have on a new ride.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scott2

Scott2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ
Sahara’s secret to a smooth ride is in its shocks and tires, so if Sport Altitude shares Sahara’s shocks and tires —along with the big brakes and 18” wheels, it ought to ride just as smoothly.

My Sahara has the Cold Weather Group so it came with the optional Bridgestone Dueler ATs: I replaced them with 33” KO2s and the ride remains smooth.
Thats what I figured but needed some reassurance, thanks!

OP
OP
Scott2

Scott2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ
Scott, let’s face it, no wrangler is terrific for a daily driver. None of them compare to a sedan for that purpose and the differences between the wrangler models in this respect is pretty small.

i would encourage you not to focus too much on the “ride quality” between wranglers. After 10 minutes in whatever Jeep you choose, you will not notice differences anymore. You will only notice how fun it is to drive. I would further encourage you to buy the wrangler model that your passions and wallet allow. If you follow your passions and wallet over any difference in ride quality, you will likely have zero regrets. If you focus on “daily driving” ahead of your passion for model B, you may “wish that I had bought model B instead”.

For the record, I daily drive a Rubicon. It drives like a wrangler and causes me no concern. I wanted a Rubicon. /story.

Good luck with your choice!
You're right! 12 years with my TJ and it has its lowlights as a DD thats for sure... But the highs are so damn high.

I perceived a difference in ride on my test drive but that too could partially be overthinking it and the overfilled tires on the sport. I'm trying to determine if the extra $$ for certain models (Sport Altitude or Sahara) has enough of a return to justify the cost. I plan to keep this Jeep for a while so I'm going to overthink it :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You're right! 12 years with my TJ and it has its lowlights as a DD thats for sure... But the highs are so damn high.

I perceived a difference in ride on my test drive but that too could partially be overthinking it and the overfilled tires on the sport. I'm trying to determine if the extra $$ for certain models (Sport Altitude or Sahara) has enough of a return to justify the cost. I plan to keep this Jeep for a while so I'm going to overthink it :)
I owned 8 JKs before this JL: a mixture of 2 and 4-doors; manual and automatics; half were Rubicons and half were Saharas. The Rubicon gives you a clear edge on the trail and instant badge recognition; Sahara gives you a well-rounded, more understated package.

When shopping for JL, I thought of what I liked about owning each prior Wrangler, and turns out the ones I miss the most, and my fondest memories, are all in Saharas.

So this time I chose to get another Sahara: it does everything I need it to do, and does it well.

I’m very happy with my choice.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I’m finally in the “getting serious” stage leading up to a custom order.

I’m trying to compare the daily driver ride of a Sport S vs a Sahara. I recently test drove both and the difference in ride between Sahara and Sport was more significant than I recall in past test drives.

I now am curious about a Sport Altitude. How would the ride of the Sport Altitude compare? I see it has the upgraded suspension that matches the Sahara. What about the shocks? Is there anything else to consider that makes the ride not as smooth as the Sahara?

I’m planning to go to another dealer with a Sport Altitude in stock soon but would appreciate some feedback.
I could be wrong but I believe the standard Sport Altitude tires have changed for 2021. When I build a 2021 it is showing a all terrain tire vs a all season tire for 2020. Don't know if that would change the ride but I suspect it might.

Sponsored

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I could be wrong but I believe the standard Sport Altitude tires have changed for 2021. When I build a 2021 it is showing a all terrain tire vs a all season tire for 2020. Don't know if that would change the ride but I suspect it might.
Confirmed.

Just picked up a 2021 Sport Altitude last week and it has the Bridgestone AT tires

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
As said before it is probably more tires than anything else.

OsmanKagdi

First Name
Osman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler

im thinking of adding the all terrain tires option, can you share some pics ?
Sponsored