Sponsored

Sport Altitude or Rubicon

Deleted member 59498

You can always think of resale down the road, the Rubicon is going to pull in better in the long run. But the cost upfront is a little more.
Sponsored

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
I was in the same boat when I placed my order: Sport Altitude vs Rubicon. I had to look into what I had realistically planned to do with the vehicle, so I ultimately settled on the Sport Altitude. I didn't want/need lockers as I have not planned on doing anything super extreme, plus all my wheeling has been done with older XJ's with open-open diffs, and I never had a single issue. What with the $4-6K difference between equally equipped Sport Altitude vs Rubicon, it was a fairly easy decision.

2021 Sport Altitude
3.6/auto
Cold weather package
LED package
Tow package
8.4 package
LSD
Selec-Trac

Factory "screwed up" and included all-weather rubber floormats, as well as a 2nd freedom panel bag, so I guess it was a "win-win" bonus.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Personally I was between a Sport and a Rubicon. I wheel with some friends and a couple groups here in Vegas. I know a good part of my wheeling will involve rocks and some pretty steep decents. I opted for the Rubicon because of the gearing, transfer case, and lockers. Admittedly, I use the lockers about 10% of the time, front maybe 1%. I won't touch them until I need them, in most instances trying obsticles open-open first. I have the 2.0T with a 2.5" lift, 35" tires, bumpers, fenders, skids, winch and my daily gets about 18mpg.
I thought I would just build up a Sport, but for me having all big three was more than worth it in the end. I didn't want body colored anything, didn't think I wanted leather. I walked out at $54K all in for my Rubi. I'm sure I overspent especially when you consider the amount of money in aftermarket parts.
But, buy once, cry once. Everyone I go out with constantly are upgrading to get most of the items the Rubicon ticked off from start. I merrily go on my way. I have a very light foot off road, typically tailgunner, and I enjoy the lower range the transfer case gives me.
All depsends on your wheeling, or what you could see yourself doing. Topography and conditions are different at every corner of the nation. Many instances lockers would be detimental, lower gearing as well. Buy what you can afford, but try to future proof best possible. I'd say 80% of my wheeling would be fine with the Sport, but the other 20% is where I really enjoy what I have.
Sponsored