Sponsored

Speaker issue?

Decliam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Is STAR ID that I can pass along to my dealer for his reference?
No this is what Jeep Care is telling us to tell the dealership what is wrong with our Jeeps. But this has nothing to do with what’s going on with our Jeeps. Jeep care is worthless! It is best to just try to fix this yourself
Sponsored

Kryder

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I took my JLUR to service dept at my local dealership last week.. It has 700 miles on it and the muffled reverb under the steering column has been there since day one. They had the jeep for the day and at the end of the day the tech called me to tell me that they could not replicate the problem to diagnose it and that i was to come pick up the jeep. They said i was to listen for the sound and if it reoccurs i was supposed to stop what i was doing and drive it to the dealership so they could hear the sound. Unfortunately for me the reverb has gotten more frequent and even louder. I feel frustrated because i cant be sure the sound will replicate itself when the tech has the jeep. But this daily driving experience has really soured what should be an amazing initial ownership experience of this otherwise great new jeep. I know a star case number has been identified but the tech said it just says to do A,B, or C if "X" noise is heard. He says he didnt hear anything so he isnt authorized under the warranty to try any of the supposed fixes. I sure wish @JeepCares could figure something out. Too many new owners are losing the initial enjoyment experience of driving their new jeep because of this issue with a supposed PREMIUM stereo upgrade.

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I took my JLUR to service dept at my local dealership last week.. It has 700 miles on it and the muffled reverb under the steering column has been there since day one. They had the jeep for the day and at the end of the day the tech called me to tell me that they could not replicate the problem to diagnose it and that i was to come pick up the jeep. They said i was to listen for the sound and if it reoccurs i was supposed to stop what i was doing and drive it to the dealership so they could hear the sound. Unfortunately for me the reverb has gotten more frequent and even louder. I feel frustrated because i cant be sure the sound will replicate itself when the tech has the jeep. But this daily driving experience has really soured what should be an amazing initial ownership experience of this otherwise great new jeep. I know a star case number has been identified but the tech said it just says to do A,B, or C if "X" noise is heard. He says he didnt hear anything so he isnt authorized under the warranty to try any of the supposed fixes. I sure wish @JeepCares could figure something out. Too many new owners are losing the initial enjoyment experience of driving their new jeep because of this issue with a supposed PREMIUM stereo upgrade.
I believe somewhere earlier in the thread people mentioned certain songs or settings that would cause the issue. If you can find a particular song or Sirius XM channel that creates the problem then I'd bring it to the Service Dept. and play it while a tech sits in the Jeep with you. I got tired of taking my Jeep to the dealership for little fixes so I followed the advice of checking the gateway module and putting some electrical tape over it to prevent the vibration of the plastic module, which creates a Charlie Brown sound, and so far I have had zero occurrences since then. Reaching the gateway module isn't easy but if you pull the kick panel (directly below the steering wheel) off using the 6 plastic tabs it makes it easier to reach

Kryder

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I believe somewhere earlier in the thread people mentioned certain songs or settings that would cause the issue. If you can find a particular song or Sirius XM channel that creates the problem then I'd bring it to the Service Dept. and play it while a tech sits in the Jeep with you. I got tired of taking my Jeep to the dealership for little fixes so I followed the advice of checking the gateway module and putting some electrical tape over it to prevent the vibration of the plastic module, which creates a Charlie Brown sound, and so far I have had zero occurrences since then. Reaching the gateway module isn't easy but if you pull the kick panel (directly below the steering wheel) off using the 6 plastic tabs it makes it easier to reach
thanks for the tips. Im 6'1 225 so it might be tough for me and im by no means a technical wizard. I saw the pics of the Gateway Module but im still not quite sure what i am taping and to where to see if this is the solution.... also, im fearful my dumb ass will break the clips on the kick panel. do i just grab the panel and gently pull outwards toward me and hope they pop off? any further feedback would be greatly appreciated. Andy

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
thanks for the tips. Im 6'1 225 so it might be tough for me and im by no means a technical wizard. I saw the pics of the Gateway Module but im still not quite sure what i am taping and to where to see if this is the solution.... also, im fearful my dumb ass will break the clips on the kick panel. do i just grab the panel and gently pull outwards toward me and hope they pop off? any further feedback would be greatly appreciated. Andy
We're about the same exact size so it is possible but I will say it is by no means comfortable. If you have a headlamp that would help a lot so you can see the gateway module and have both hands free to maneuver. The kick panel is pretty easy to remove; however, plastic tabs are plastic and I wouldn't recommend yanking on it haphazardly. I started at the lower left of the kick panel and started slowly pulling directly back towards myself until I could feel the plastic tab give way. Then I moved up the left side and around until all the plastic tabs were out trying to be gentle.

Once you visually find the gateway module, I believe it's a matter of what you can tape rather than what has to be taped. The tape just acts as a damper to stop the plastic module from vibrating so I'm sure there are several ways that you could tape it. The way I taped over the gateway module was due partly to the reason that I couldn't get my hands in there enough to tape it any other way. Also, I highly recommend putting the drivers seat all the way back so you have maximum room to be able to look up underneath to locate the gateway module.

Sponsored

Kryder

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
We're about the same exact size so it is possible but I will say it is by no means comfortable. If you have a headlamp that would help a lot so you can see the gateway module and have both hands free to maneuver. The kick panel is pretty easy to remove; however, plastic tabs are plastic and I wouldn't recommend yanking on it haphazardly. I started at the lower left of the kick panel and started slowly pulling directly back towards myself until I could feel the plastic tab give way. Then I moved up the left side and around until all the plastic tabs were out trying to be gentle.

Once you visually find the gateway module, I believe it's a matter of what you can tape rather than what has to be taped. The tape just acts as a damper to stop the plastic module from vibrating so I'm sure there are several ways that you could tape it. The way I taped over the gateway module was due partly to the reason that I couldn't get my hands in there enough to tape it any other way. Also, I highly recommend putting the drivers seat all the way back so you have maximum room to be able to look up underneath to locate the gateway module.
thanks again for the extra feedback. im going to get some electrical tape tonite and give it a whirl.. whats the worst that can happen? hahaha

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
thanks again for the extra feedback. im going to get some electrical tape tonite and give it a whirl.. whats the worst that can happen? hahaha
Definitely and like I said having some sort of fixed light (headlamp or a flashlight you can tape somewhere so your hands are free) makes a world of difference. And when your pulling the kick panel off just take your time and work around the edge. If you think it's not working then stop and try later. I took my kick panel off at work just to make sure I could and then I went home later with electrical tape and finally fixed it

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Sad dealerships can’t figure it out. Guy at my dealership said his JLU sounded the same way especially during talk radio. And still no one there can figure anything out. People say use tape do this or that. Isn’t that why we have a warranty so they can fix the problems. Just saying

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Just started happening on my JLUR as well, 1,100 miles. Charlie Brown vibration/sounds in the background.

Jlo_1212

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Jl Sahara
Occupation
Forensic Engineer
My Rubicon JL with the upgraded Alpine systems front top dash speakers and both rattling and sound blown. My Jeep is less than a month old??? What is the fix? I've checked and everything is tight with mounting but they rattle even when music is low.
Dealership fixed mine with a dab of epoxy in the gateway module. They had even ordered and replaced my original gateway module but it continued....so i guess they just glued it together to stop the vibration.

Sponsored

mattrobert

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Dealership fixed mine with a dab of epoxy in the gateway module. They had even ordered and replaced my original gateway module but it continued....so i guess they just glued it together to stop the vibration.
Any chance you could get a picture of their fix? I'd like to see about how much epoxy they used and where exactly they applied it.

mattrobert

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
For those of you not wanting to start squirting epoxy up in the gateway module, I just used some adhesive putty from Lowes and jammed chunks of an entire stick up in and around the unit. It seems to work just fine and doesn't add the permanence of epoxy in case something needs to be changed.

IMG_9549.JPG

Kryder

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For those of you not wanting to start squirting epoxy up in the gateway module, I just used some adhesive putty from Lowes and jammed chunks of an entire stick up in and around the unit. It seems to work just fine and doesn't add the permanence of epoxy in case something needs to be changed.

IMG_9549.JPG
how is it working for you? did you stick the putty around the gateway module and thats it or did you use it around the module to connect it to some part of frame? I bought electrical tape and was going to try and take the kick panel off and tape module and anything around it to anything and everything to make sure its tight. i had the jeep at the dealership twice now and yesterday they tore whole front apart and basically said "its a jeep" albeit an expensive one but jeeps are known for poor padding. they said there is no current fix authorized from chrysler. they refused to use epoxy on gateway cause they said they wont be able to get gateway out if it needs to be replaced. they tightened some bolts and stuff and it made a 50% improvement but it is still there. any help would be appreciated brotha!

mattrobert

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
how is it working for you? did you stick the putty around the gateway module and thats it or did you use it around the module to connect it to some part of frame? I bought electrical tape and was going to try and take the kick panel off and tape module and anything around it to anything and everything to make sure its tight. i had the jeep at the dealership twice now and yesterday they tore whole front apart and basically said "its a jeep" albeit an expensive one but jeeps are known for poor padding. they said there is no current fix authorized from chrysler. they refused to use epoxy on gateway cause they said they wont be able to get gateway out if it needs to be replaced. they tightened some bolts and stuff and it made a 50% improvement but it is still there. any help would be appreciated brotha!
It’s working really well. I jammed it all around the plug and pushed up in between the gap of the plug and the housing. I’d say it’s about 99% better, but there are still some times when I feel like it wants to make the Charlie Brown noise but doesn’t. I think this is what some others in this thread have mentioned about the crossover EQ not being set right.
Sponsored