Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO, I like the look of the JL w/ a spare tire mounted on the tailgate, though I get some people wanting to delete it. Makes sense. In my 45 years of driving (God, am I really that old! :CWL: ) I have had to mount a spare tire exactly once - when I hit a pothole w/ my GTi and bent a rim. Low profile tires and potholes don't mix! My '19 Mustang GT didn't even have a spare, the first time any of my vehicles came without one.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
IMHO, I like the look of the JL w/ a spare tire mounted on the tailgate, though I get some people wanting to delete it. Makes sense. In my 45 years of driving (God, am I really that old! :CWL: ) I have had to mount a spare tire exactly once - when I hit a pothole w/ my GTi and bent a rim. Low profile tires and potholes don't mix! My '19 Mustang GT didn't even have a spare, the first time any of my vehicles came without one.
Don't get me wrong, I love the look but it is really dead weight to me. Funny, I also have a GTI. I pulled the spare out of that too for quite awhile. Now we both use it as a second car and I have a lightweight wheel back there.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It’s all good, until it isn’t. We wheel alone all the time, I bring the spare, tire plugs, compressor, and a full compliment of tools and recovery gear. Last year on wheeler pass north of las Vegas we came up to a Tacoma with a completely shredded tire laying behind it at the summit. The right rear tire was also flat. That summit is ~20 miles either way to pavement. It was 2pm and the note they left that they were walking out for help had a time of 1:45 written on it. We picked them up, plugged the hole in the flat spare, and followed them back to pavement. Not saying we saved anyones life, but a 5+ hour walk would have put them at pavement/cell service about 2 hours after dark and it got down into the upper 30’s that night. On another trip we were just outside Barstow and got a flat. 110° outside I said screw it I’ll just use AAA. The estimated wait time was…14 hours. I changed my own tire in the heat and went on my merry way. It is better to have and not need than need and not have. One time I ever have to wait for an hour justifies the added weight of a spare for the life of the vehicle in my opinion. To each his own.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It’s all good, until it isn’t. We wheel alone all the time, I bring the spare, tire plugs, compressor, and a full compliment of tools and recovery gear. Last year on wheeler pass north of las Vegas we came up to a Tacoma with a completely shredded tire laying behind it at the summit. The right rear tire was also flat. That summit is ~20 miles either way to pavement. It was 2pm and the note they left that they were walking out for help had a time of 1:45 written on it. We picked them up, plugged the hole in the flat spare, and followed them back to pavement. Not saying we saved anyones life, but a 5+ hour walk would have put them at pavement/cell service about 2 hours after dark and it got down into the upper 30’s that night. On another trip we were just outside Barstow and got a flat. 110° outside I said screw it I’ll just use AAA. The estimated wait time was…14 hours. I changed my own tire in the heat and went on my merry way. It is better to have and not need than need and not have. One time I ever have to wait for an hour justifies the added weight of a spare for the life of the vehicle in my opinion. To each his own.
I'm with you here. I hate being stranded unnecessarily and usually pack a bit too much for that limited peace of mind

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
To each his own...
... until you come across a no-spare wheeler with a flat on the trail, long looks, shoulder shrugging. I was on my way in so he didn't get the spare, I did send a satellite txt message to his buddy with his location.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I temporarily put my 108 lb. 37" spare on the cargo floor until I could find a lite weight solution to improve the OEM set up. The spare has now been 2.5 years on the cargo floor. Most metal products add 50 Lbs. and rust. To date the closest I've come to buying a carrier is GenRights alum. 23 Lb. swing out @$1600 plus accessories. Ever time I start packing for a road trip it's on my mind but I manage as is.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete JL spare (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete JL rear

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
I eliminated the rear spare also. This winter I picked up a spare tire mount that goes in the trailer hitch receiver when I need to carry the spare. I have a receiver in the front and back. The tire and mount just lifts out
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete Jeep front bumper winch.JPG
when I need to get at something behind it. 99.% of current use is within 15-20 miles of our cottage. The spare never hit the ground on the old yj for over 10 years of use.....

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Always carry an air compressor and patch kit.
I eliminated the rear spare also. This winter I picked up a spare tire mount that goes in the trailer hitch receiver when I need to carry the spare. I have a receiver in the front and back. The tire and mount just lifts out
Jeep front bumper winch.JPG
when I need to get at something behind it. 99.% of current use is within 15-20 miles of our cottage. The spare never hit the ground on the old yj for over 10 years of use.....
Do you have a link to your front hitch mount? I’m intrigued.

I always carry an air compressor and patch kit. Throw the spare in the back for adventures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete 56E58085-1DC3-4CE7-A514-0479AD51B854

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Don't have a link but I bought it on e bay for a very reasonable 60.00 with free shipping. I had to lengthen slot and welded 2 studs in place to mount jeep wheel spacing. Easy problem solver> I can carry on the front hitch and still pull my trailer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete spare mount

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the slime. Have not had good luck with it, and the tire shops hate it. I would just limp it to the nearest air compressor or get it patched if I was too far from home.
Nearest air compressor? Implying you don't have one in your Jeep???

Sponsored

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Nearest air compressor? Implying you don't have one in your Jeep???
I might bring it off road, but no I don't normally carry one around town.

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Don't have a link but I bought it on e bay for a very reasonable 60.00 with free shipping. I had to lengthen slot and welded 2 studs in place to mount jeep wheel spacing. Easy problem solver> I can carry on the front hitch and still pull my trailer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete spare mount
I like your thinking. The more modular, the better.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I run the Artic as well. The Camera mount does not support the 2021 redesigned rear camera. Other than that install was nice and easy, including the license plate lights.

I have a spare that I keep at the house but 99% of my driving is within 5 miles of my home. I prefer the look and visibility without the spare on the back. I've debated the Cavfab carrier since a 37 doesn't fit well behind the rear seats when I go on longer trips.
Well you are in luck!! I am selling a $1000 Excessive Industries Gate Keeper for $500!!!!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...keeper-spare-tire-carrier.85791/#post-1818132

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I might bring it off road, but no I don't normally carry one around town.
For us it's just part of what's always in the Jeep. Hitting the mountains is always an option when your place backs up to a national forest.

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
For us it's just part of what's always in the Jeep. Hitting the mountains is always an option when your place backs up to a national forest.
I would definitely carry one if that was my back yard.
Sponsored