Spare Tire Delete

PunknPi

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito 2.0
Has anyone considered adding the weight back after the delete? Something I failed to consider is the traction I would lose. Im doing burnouts with these 35 MTs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Has anyone considered adding the weight back after the delete? Something I failed to consider is the traction I would lose. Im doing burnouts with these 35 MTs.
Maybe drop your air pressure a little? I don't have a problem with the K02s.
For the record, except for one tire rotation, my spare has sat in the garage for the better part of 30k miles. Including a couple cross country trips (on road).

jlrubeinswaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
It’s all good, until it isn’t. We wheel alone all the time, I bring the spare, tire plugs, compressor, and a full compliment of tools and recovery gear. Last year on wheeler pass north of las Vegas we came up to a Tacoma with a completely shredded tire laying behind it at the summit. The right rear tire was also flat. That summit is ~20 miles either way to pavement. It was 2pm and the note they left that they were walking out for help had a time of 1:45 written on it. We picked them up, plugged the hole in the flat spare, and followed them back to pavement. Not saying we saved anyones life, but a 5+ hour walk would have put them at pavement/cell service about 2 hours after dark and it got down into the upper 30’s that night. On another trip we were just outside Barstow and got a flat. 110° outside I said screw it I’ll just use AAA. The estimated wait time was…14 hours. I changed my own tire in the heat and went on my merry way. It is better to have and not need than need and not have. One time I ever have to wait for an hour justifies the added weight of a spare for the life of the vehicle in my opinion. To each his own.
Your quote " It's all good until it isn't" is soooo right. I am 62 and have only needed to change a tire once back when I was around 20 yrs old. I Bought a Hybrid car in recent years with no spare. I thought it shouldn't be a problem because I replace tires before their needed to be replaced and should be fine. It's all good right? Driving on the Interstate outside of Lake Tahoe and hit a bungie cord with the S hook which put a hole in the tire. Ok no problem I thought, for which I had the cars specific roadside assistance. This was 4:30 pm on a Friday. Got in contact with the RA and the nearest dealer was in Reno Nevada and the only place that they would tow to. (Truckee was 3 miles from me). That would mean I would be lucky to get it fixed by Saturday at the earliest and maybe not until Monday. Boy was I feeling helpless. What an inconvenience! If I only had a spare. I could go on but my point is that you can't always be in a convenient spot or think "It's all good". Sh#t can happen at the worst time and the worst place. And I will also end this story with " to each his own".

Franky2step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys 2dr
I went with the Artec aluminum delete. It was hard to find 2 door pics without the spare. If anyone is wondering, a stock Rubicon wheel and BFG K02 tire weigh about 74 lbs, the carrier is 8 lbs = 82 lbs off the back. It's put some pep in it's step.

IMG_20201104_101535640_HDR.jpg

jeep spare delete.jpg

(BFG KO2 is 51 lbs according to Tire Rack, which puts a stock Rubicon wheel at 23 lbs.)
This looks fantastic to me and the weight savings is an added bonus.

Sponsored

Pwrtrdr1

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I went with the Artec aluminum delete. It was hard to find 2 door pics without the spare. If anyone is wondering, a stock Rubicon wheel and BFG K02 tire weigh about 74 lbs, the carrier is 8 lbs = 82 lbs off the back. It's put some pep in it's step.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete IMG_1181 (1).JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete IMG_1181 (1).JPG

(BFG KO2 is 51 lbs according to Tire Rack, which puts a stock Rubicon wheel at 23 lbs.)
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete IMG_4016

Pwrtrdr1

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
RC spare tire delete kit… gets upgrade with LED’s and correctly mounted plate tomorrow
I love it !

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Very cool!

First Name
Ney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 3.6L
Does a 37" tire (bfgoodrich MT) fits on the rear of the back seats? 4doors JL?

Sponsored

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Does a 37" tire (bfgoodrich MT) fits on the rear of the back seats? 4doors JL?
I have a 35" back there and it barely fits. You might have to fold down the larger rear seat.

ZaboAA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Punk'N
I went with the Rebel off Road set-up for my JLU. Love the roto-pax mounts.

0B2A24CC-CB99-487E-8D77-6E2BEC6E8E58.jpeg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
Meh. It's a Jeep. Looks naked without the tire on the back. But hey, whatever makes you happy. Your Jeep, your choice.

mikek1971

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler rubicon, grand cherokee and a cherokee
Always carry an air compressor and patch kit.

Do you have a link to your front hitch mount? I’m intrigued.

I always carry an air compressor and patch kit. Throw the spare in the back for adventures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete 0B2A24CC-CB99-487E-8D77-6E2BEC6E8E58
where did you purchase your tire delete? looks great and hard to find without advertising the company who makes it.
Sponsored