Something is wrong with me !!!!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Looks like the AYES are winning so I'll be the angel on your other shoulder since that side hasn't been represented much.

Since it's too cumbersome to ask you questions, wait for answers, then ask more questions I'll just talk about things I've learned about myself over the years.

The older I get, the more I'm learning that these "must haves" and "life's dream" acquisitions don't bring the lasting enjoyment I thought they would. Most of the things I managed to get soon became "been there, done that, what's next" items which were then sold (at a loss, of course) and never missed. I especially have this issue with cars but I found that while I enjoy the hunt and the kill ... the field dressing, butchering and even eating it ends up being underwhelming for me.

So ask yourself if you are getting sucked in by the hype and spending too much time on this forum and youtube, or will you really, truly appreciate it for the long haul?

Maybe instead of putting all of your focus on the coolness of it (the sound, the power, the rumble, the status, the pride of ownership, the much slower wave that will also come with a dropped jaw), focus on the negatives too. A few were pointed out already but I'll say some that would gnaw at me after a while: all of that GAS ... and why does it have to be premium? A giant, 8 cylinder naturally aspirated engine should run on BEER if need be, why oh why does insult need to be added to injury in perpetuity? So you will get 10 to 12 miles a gallon with a bonus that each gallon will cost yet another 60 cents. Justify that all you want, if you were shedding money like that insurance commerical guy on the motorcycle, you'd already have one and not be asking strangers! How long are you going to keep it? That engine is stuffed in that tiny compartment so tightly, a gallon of water poured over the top would take an hour for the first drop to drip out of the bottom and a week for the last. Changing a $50 part will cost thousands because they will have to R&R the engine every time. There are other things too, my point is to pay as much attention to the negatives as you are the positives. In fact, I give negatives more weight lately since only the brave dare speak out on the internet against anything these days.

Hope that helped. Of course it's up to you but I'll ask this: have you ever acquired something at this level that you wanted this badly before? Assuming yes, do you still have it and appreciate it with zero regrets? If that is how you're wired, then maybe you should do it while you still can. Otherwise, I'd say don't do it.
All good points, but also the older I get the fewer the things that give me joy. I havenā€™t hunted in years for your reasons plus the last deer I shot gave me a feeling of regret for killing it. Gave the boat and the 3A to my son since I donā€™t enjoy being in the sun and heat anymore. Between my back and prostrate the bleachers at the grandkids football games are miserable. In my case, we are caregivers for the wifeā€™s 93 year old dementia patient father who canā€™t be left alone. Just running errands and short excursions in the 392 give this old Jeeper/hot rodder a feeling of relief and joy well worth a few less mpg. Oh yeah, got 8-85 max care because I donā€™t enjoy nor am physically competent enough to wrench much anymore either, I pay the deductible no matter how little water drips.
Sponsored

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Something wrong with me? I want to sell my 22 rubicon with 3000 miles, loaded up, to get the 392, Once I start thinking about it it's only a matter of time.. Talk me out of spending more cash PLEASE ......
Just find a dealer that will let you trade even up. :LOL:

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
only thing wrong with you is that you couldn't figure out what you wanted 3000 miles ago. ;)

are you sure enough that you know what you want now that you're ready/comfortable/willing to throw that much more money out? is the difference in the 2 J**ps more aligned to what you're actually going to do with one?

my personal opinion is that what the 392 is better at isn't what i want a J**p for.
to each their own, but if i was looking for high-G fun, it wouldn't be in a Wrangler.

how am i doing? šŸ˜„

Something wrong with me? I want to sell my 22 rubicon with 3000 miles, loaded up, to get the 392, Once I start thinking about it it's only a matter of time.. Talk me out of spending more cash PLEASE ......

IMG_1899.JPG

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Itā€™s still a 4 door, so thatā€™s a no for me! šŸ˜‰
Yeah I'm with you Mike. But if they did somehow offer more power and torque in a two door, I would be wrestling with trading in. There is a huge difference between a 2dr and a 4dr and 2dr is my love.

Other problem is I have dumped way too many mod/accessories into my '22 JLR it would be a serious process to undo that and move it to a new one.

I'm super happy with my 3.6L in the lighter 2dr. I'm way too old to want to beat others off the line on pavement. Rather I like to slowly find the line off road and go places the vast majority never experience. Way more enjoyable.

If I was a 4dr guy... my opinion would be different.

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Take the money that it would cost to upgrade, stick it somewhere promising in the stock market while it's down, then pull it out when the market goes back up and buy one used.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD

Jeep Wrangler JL Something is wrong with me !!!! 1668865531175
Ha ha. Car sickness. Dude, youā€™ll take a little bath on this deal.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
If a brand-new Rubicon isn't enough to make you happy, then a brand-new 392 won't make you happy, either. You will want the next, newest, gnarliest, fanciest, etc. in no time.. The sooner we learn to say "What I have is awesome, and I am happy," and break the cycle of "Okay, what now?!" well, the happier we will be.
You and I on the same wavelength my friend. My wife is the go getter type, always pushing for more, always saying there's nothing wrong with wanting more and always trying to better oneself. Now I fully appreciate and support that, but whats wrong with being happy and content with what you have, what you are, the place you are at in life. The mentality to always be better I feel leads to disappointment for you continually reach for a moving goal you can never reach. Nirvana for me is feeling whole and complete with where you are at in life, sure strive for better, but don't let that rule who you are...for me in the auto world, my '21 Sahara 6sp with new CF2 clutch fills that part of the void just fine...and didnt cost me 80k. But I have to say, if I had the funds to keep my kids college funds and my own retirement fully funded and could still comfortable buy a 392, yeah I would, not for the power and such, just for the fact that it is the first V8 wrangler and also the last of its kind all in one, a rare breed down the line as this BS EV crap is shoved down our throats...

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I wont try to talk you out of it. I mean if you want to keep rolling around in that weak ass pussy version you got thats on you!

there. Does that help at all?

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I'll start by saying I owned a 2012 JKUR with an AEV installed 6.4 Hemi, so I knew the 392 JLUR would be a fantastic Jeep to drive.

I had purchased a '22 Ram TRX, and when picking it up from the dealer, I told the salesman that I have worked with for years, that I had almost bought a 392 instead and had had a hard time deciding which I wanted (TRX vs 392). Fast forward 3 months, and I'm out in the desert with the TRX, on a spirited trail ride. As I am crossing a mountain pass, and at the only place with cell service for 50 miles, my phone rings. It is the salesman I bought the TRX from telling me he has a 392 in, and the person that ordered it backed out of the deal. I already had a '21 JLUR 2.0 T, so I told him I wasn't interested. A few minutes later I call him back and tell him I have 50 miles of dirt yet to go to get back to town, but that I'll be there in an hour to look at the 392. Then when they said they would give me $3K more for my JLUR than I had paid for it, I had no excuses anymore. I bought the 392.

I've owned Jeeps for 50 years, and the 392 is the best Jeep ever built. I am a Jeep man at heart, and the 392 is so much fun to drive that the TRX has become a garage queen since I bought the 392. In four months the 392 has accumulated 4000 miles, and the TRX has accumulated 400 miles. I am literally driving the 392 ten times as much as the TRX. The TRX should last forever.

If you want the 392 then get one while you still can. I've already lived a most of my life, and the 392 is a once in a lifetime Jeep. If you can afford the 392 you can afford the gas.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...since I bought this new 2.0 Turbo JL Iā€™ve raced...some kid in a hotrod Honda trying to crowd me on a stop light two lane into one lane scenario. Pulled away...

I never get pulled over, but since I bought the 2.0Turbo, Iā€™ve been pulled over 3 times for speeding.
I did exactly that a few months ago. My Spidey Sense suggested that the pinhead in the goofy Civic in the adjacent lane would try to crowd my right of way after the light turned green. Spidey was correct, so I gave it some right foot, as did Pinhead. I prevailed, and it was nice to see a bit of smoke exiting from his exhaust when I looked in the rearview.

I've not yet been pulled over for speeding in my 2.0T, likely because I use cruise control whenever safe to do so. Let other drivers be the rabbit. I'll concede that the temptation is usually present, though.

In 2018, I sold a KLZ1000, the best motorcycle I've ever owned, precisely because its competence at speed made it too easy to ride it fast. I figured that it was only a matter of time until the wrong decision put me in a cell or in a box. I've no such concerns with the KLZ's replacement, lol.

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
I am facing the same decision. I have 400 miles on my 2 door Rubicon, great jeep! And I also have a 392 in Reign that has a confirmed order, and VIN. Fiscally, it would not be wise to have both Jeeps in the garage, possible, but not wise. I had a 22 392 which I traded on a TRX. Huge frikken truck that was just plain a pain in the ass to live with, so that got traded on my pending C8 ZO6...as I am #1 on the list for that toy. So you OP are not the only one facing decisions. That said, if you can buy the 392 and still feed the dog, go for it! YOLO! My biggest issue being a real jeep has 2 doors and I really do like my little Rubicon...but know I will be kicking my ass if I don't take delivery of the 392 and they are discontinued. Adulting is hard.
Sponsored