So how stupid would this look?

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6SPD /20 Wrangler JL Sport (6spd) - Sold
So here's the situation. 2020 JL sport, 2 door.

My shepherd mix has developed a strong preference for sitting in the front passenger seat. Obviously, with doors off, he can't do that.
How stupid would it be/look if I only took the driver's side door off?
Sponsored

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I think it would look more stupid to take the passenger side door off since dogs can be unpredictable and something could cause the dog to jump out while you are driving!! So to me safety is more of a concern over what other people think!!!!!!

OP
OP
fknMeow

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6SPD /20 Wrangler JL Sport (6spd) - Sold
I think it would look more stupid to take the passenger side door off since dogs can be unpredictable and something could cause the dog to jump out while you are driving!! So to me safety is more of a concern over what other people think!!!!!!
Yeah, I mean that isn't even a consideration. It's either taking the driver's side door off, or all doors stay on.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Yeah, I mean that isn't even a consideration. It's either taking the driver's side door off, or all doors stay on.
Okay that make since sorry…lol.. but I agree with the other poster also if YOU want the door off to enjoy the freedom then take it off it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks!! Enjoy it anyway you want to brother you spent all that money!!!

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Make your dog sit in the back, take both doors off, and get one of these seat belt buckles to keep it secure and from jumping out.

https://www.chewy.com/kurgo-direct-to-seat-belt-tether/dp/56751

You could also try some trail doors. Some can be quite substantial while others obviously would do nothing. I have an unlimited and when I take my doors off and the kids are in the back, I put my DV8 trail doors on the back.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
As a dog owner myself their safety is number 1 along with all who ride with me. If something were to happened to one of the because of what i did/didnt do dont think id ever forgive myself. Hell i like/love animals more then humans soooo.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So here's the situation. 2020 JL sport, 2 door.

My shepherd mix has developed a strong preference for sitting in the front passenger seat. Obviously, with doors off, he can't do that.
How stupid would it be/look if I only took the driver's side door off?
Tommy:

I don't enjoy being "that guy:" the one whose line of reasoning is just so stringent that "they take the fun out of all of it."

With that preamble, I now feel myself going into lecture mode. I'll try to be brief.

"Freedom can't be enjoyed if you're dead."

This simple adage suggests that certain reductions in freedom are small prices to pay to allow us, and our fury friends to continue to exist in reasonable safety and comfort. Sparing words, a picture should suffice.

Why isn't your "Fido" in one of these, attached to a safety belt? (In the video the vehicle is parked and presumptively the dog is de-latched to roam free in the cabin.) Press play below as an Stellantis blessed example:

Wouldn't your dog, in a four point harness, attached to a ratcheted down safety belt allow your choice of doors and dog seat to then be whatever you want it to be? Do you want your dog unintentionally interfering with your driving?

Do the laws of physics fail to apply to dogs traveling at 60 mph on the freeway such that, G-d forbid, if a driver has to make an evasive quick stop, said dog won't have tendency to be flung through the windshield.

Let the hate begin.

Last edited:

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
To answer your question without getting into the specifics of dog safety, no it wouldn’t look stupid. Just taking one door off is a totally viable option. That’s the beauty of a ultra-customizable vehicle.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
It would only look stupid from one side. :). Seriously though, your pup should be strapped in anyway. If he sees something he likes on your side he will just try to jump over your lap and go out that way. Also in an accident he will be a ragdoll.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Make the dog sit, tethered, in the rear seat. You own an animal, the well-being of which you are responsible for. "Preference" shouldn't enter into it. Imagine how easily the dog could be killed if the front passenger airbag deploys.

Edit: This pep talk provided by a fellow pet owner. :)

Last edited: