Sponsored

Would like some insight on how it would be to daily a wrangler.

migs

First Name
Miguelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet.
so im basically cross shopping between a bronco and wrangler. I’ve already decided on what trim and package to get if I were to get a bronco. Now im leaving no stone unturned and looking at a wrangler, so far I’ve been looking at a 4dr Willy’s wrangler with the xtreme recon package. I don’t offroad but much like with the bronco I find value in having it come from factory built to have bigger tires and a lift since I love the look of it and would do it aftermarket anyway. How would the ride quality be with the package as a daily ? Or am I better off going with the Sahara or Willy’s without the xtreme recon? Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The difference in ride between Wrangler trims is minimal. Yes, Sahara comes with softer shocks and more road-biased tires, but swapping shocks and tires is super easy. Adding a lift and regearing is much more involved.

I’d get the Willys XR if that’s what you want.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Don’t get a Wrangler if you’re not going to take it off road. Don’t get a Bronco, either.

Get a nice GTI or BMW or something. Wranglers are so bad on the road compared to other cars. The gas mileage is awful, too. They’re expensive to run — especially with 35” tires.

And, worst of all, people will ask if you take it off road and you’ll have to say “no.” Women will raise their eyebrows and turn away. Men will chuckle. Children will cry.

It’s not worth it.

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
I daily my Willys 4 door. Got her 4 months ago. No lift or recon package. Nope, I don't offroad, and while she certainly doesn't handle like my grand Cherokee, I just love the thing. Better road manners than I was expecting, and so much personality

Sponsored

OP
OP

migs

First Name
Miguelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet.
Don’t get a Wrangler if you’re not going to take it off road. Don’t get a Bronco, either.

Get a nice GTI or BMW or something. Wranglers are so bad on the road compared to other cars. The gas mileage is awful, too. They’re expensive to run — especially with 35” tires.

And, worst of all, people will ask if you take it off road and you’ll have to say “no.” Women will raise their eyebrows and turn away. Men will chuckle. Children will cry.

It’s not worth it.
To be fair at the same time I’ve never had a vehicle capable of off roading, it’s possible I give it a try who knows. I’m 24 now but when I was younger I fell in love with the look of a jeep/boxy suv. I can get a BMW/German car if I want want but then I’d have what most people I know around my age have 😂I just wanted to know how it is as a daily, I heard from people who’ve driven both a Jeep and bronco that a bronco is better on road but I don’t know how true that is.

NullNomad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
More road, go Bronco. And I’ll extend that and say if you’re on road more you should be considering Bronco vs 4Runner.

More off-road, go Wrangler. And I’ll extend this and say if you love to tinker, add parts, take them off, customize… Wrangler is one of the few vehicles out there still being made with that intent.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
To be fair at the same time I’ve never had a vehicle capable of off roading, it’s possible I give it a try who knows. I’m 24 now but when I was younger I fell in love with the look of a jeep/boxy suv. I can get a BMW/German car if I want want but then I’d have what most people I know around my age have 😂I just wanted to know how it is as a daily, I heard from people who’ve driven both a Jeep and bronco that a bronco is better on road but I don’t know how true that is.
Thanks for being a good sport when someone busts your balls. You’ll fit in well around here.

And seriously: whether you get a Jeep or a Bronco, I hope you’ll try taking it off road.

Hopefully you’ll get the bug and it’ll open up a lifetime of adventure and good times for you.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
We have 2 JLU(my Willys and my wife's Sahara) wranglers. My brother also has a Badlands Bronco 4 door. Comparing them, I personally prefer the Wrangler to the Bronco for daily driver use. However, I actually like the driving characteristics of the Wrangler SFA vs the Bronco's independent front suspension. The Bronco reminds me of a Toyota FJ or Hummer H3. It tracks better, feels more planted and requires less steering input than the Wrangler. For many people this is a good thing. I actually dislike it and feel that it makes it more boring to drive.
Take this with a grain of salt, I have driven SFA Jeeps since 1998 and like old school driving feel.

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I see you live in NYC. Do you have to fit in parking garages? If the Willys XR fits under the hanging 2x4 get it, Don’t forget to get the cold weather group. You already joined this forum so you made your decision but haven’t realized it yet.

Sponsored

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
At 24 you are YOUNG! Not a knock, but many of us here got hooked on Jeeps of all flavors, some of us younger that’s you are when we started. (18 for me). I’m not going to knock the Ford, bit I look at it this way, the Jeep Wrangler has STAYED in production with improvements and updates as time allows . The Bronco being a new product is in it’s teething phase with it’s own issues.

With things changing so much in the market, (Electrification) I would get what you want sooner than later. I am sure that someday an electric Jeep or Bronco will do fine, but it seems a long way off.

mmassow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Unlimited
I daily an unlimited Willys with the stock 32” tires. It’s not bad at all. Rides a little rough, but has character. Plenty of power for the highway (unlike my previous 4 cylinder TJs). It is easy to drive around town. I am getting 18-22mpg with the 3.6L/auto. I do some minor off-roading on Forest Service Roads (rocky hill climbs, creek crossings, etc,). I didn’t feel the need for 35’s with the off-roading I do. Stock is pretty capable as is. I rather have the ease of getting in and out for the family, and slightly better mpg’s. I may get 33’s when these tires are done.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Any of them daily drive okay. None of them well. If you don’t plan to off road at all I don’t know. Sahara? Might want to look at a Lexus or a Porsche SUV. That’s what I’d do if I wanted size, comfort, and road manors, and wanted to pay Jeep prices.

Jezones

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I daily drive my Jeep everywhere. Everyone that rides in my Jeep is impressed with how it rides considering everything they have heard about Jeeps. Yeah I only get 16 mpg and it always sounds like I have a window down but I wouldn’t suggest anything but a Jeep. If you embrace it your life will change for the better.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Children will cry, guys will bite my ear and throw beer at me and women will run when they find out I spent over 60k for a Rubicon with the XR package to find it will spend most of its time on the pavement. I say fuck 'em. Their horses too if they rode in on them. Get what you want. I wanted the XR. Road wise, I love the thing. I would never go back to any other vehicle. I had the Sahara and honestly, the Rubi feels about the same just taller. I need to grab my wife's ass to help push her up into her seat. She is tiny. At the end of the day it's a machine. It may or may not break. Get a warranty for comfort. Go out and drive the thing road or dirt. It's your toy, your life whichever you choose. (Personally, I would never have considered the Bronco. It's just another retro reintroduction trying to capitalize on character it once had)
Sponsored