Sponsored

Would like some insight on how it would be to daily a wrangler.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I own a JLUR-XR and a Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 4 dr. I'm sure this information may have been shared in the 11 pages preceding this post, but I'm too lazy to ready through it, and it's faster to just share my thoughts:

Steering: Bronco has much tighter steering. You feel more in control on the road. The Jeep wanders, as you would expect, and the steering feels loose. TBH, I prefer the loose feeling.

Infotainment: I have the high package on the Bronco, and that 12 inch screen is amazing. The Android Auto is wireless and works flawlessly. On the jeep, the 8.4 inch screen is still nice, but Android Auto only works wired, and I get "Device Not Supported" quite often when I plug my phone in. I usually have to wait for a bit then it suddenly starts working.

Sound system: I have the Alpine in the Rubicon, and it's better than the Bronco, but even the Bronco isn't bad. Speaker placement sucks in the Bronco because it doesn't have the B pillar speakers, but from the front seat you can't really tell a difference.

Comfort: Most people say the Bronco has more comfortable seats. I am probably one of the few that likes the Jeep seats better. Totally personal preference, but 99% of people will say the Bronco is better here.

Technology: Parking with the 360 degree camera and huge screen on the Bronco is like cheating. Other than that I'd say the rest of the tech is comparable, except when it comes to off-road features, where Bronco integrates the use of lockers and swaybar disconnect better than Jeep. They work great on the Jeep too... but they're definitely more finicky to engage and disengage.

Storage: Bronco has more than Jeep. That's just straight math. Both have enough for a weekend trip out of town with my family of 4, but neither have enough for a camping trip with a family of 4 (at least with the gear I would want to bring). That can be solved with roof racks.

Overall Size: Jeep is smaller and sportier. Bronco feels more like a truck. The size difference isn't as big as people claim it is, but it does feel that way when you drive it. As someone who loves driving large trucks, the size of the Bronco doesn't bother me a bit. If you aren't used to driving trucks, it may feel a little big and boat-ish.

Tops: Jeep would win this category. I have soft tops on both. The Jeep soft top is better in all aspects... design, ease of use, visibility out windows, etc. As for hard tops, Broncos have known issues, many of which have been resolved with the 2nd gen top, but I still think the Jeep freedom top is more refined.

Aftermarket support: both vehicles have a ton of aftermarket support now to "make it your own," BUT Bronco accessories and mods are significantly more expensive. That will change over time, but for now Wrangler wins this one on price alone.

Cool factor: Bronco wins. We have people stop and talk to us all the time about our Bronco. Yes that will continue to happen less often as more and more are on the road, but no one ever cares about my jeep.

Community: Sorry to say this on the actual wrangler forums... but IMO the Bronco community is building a more accepting and good-natured community than what the Jeep community has become. I can bring the Jeep to a local Bronco trail ride.... I can't bring the Bronco to a local Jeep tail ride.

So in conclusion, I think I would put more points in the Bronco column. Especially since you mentioned that even though you don't off-road right now, you might someday try it. Well, my Bronco has kept up with Jeeps on 7-rated trails, which is a more difficult trail than most people will ever even take their jeep on. Once you start talking more extreme off-roading, the gap narrows, and arguably the Jeep will win out.
Sponsored

OP
OP

migs

First Name
Miguelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet.
As a guy with a 2022 Rubicon XR I'd have to ask you why would you even think about buying a standard Rubicon, then dumping the money in add on stuff. I've been there and done that. The $3995 they ask for the XR package is a bargain compared to what you'd spend doing the same mods to a standard Rubicon. I spent $4370 doing my 2012 Wrangler Rubicon including the labor because quite honestly for $550 I didn't feel like getting my hands dirty. The problem is that money doesn't include the two great things the XR package comes standard with; Performance Brakes and a 4.56 axle ratio. I looked at doing brakes on my 2012, but aftermarked performance brakes can easily run $1000-$2000 per axle. Save yourself the time and money and just get the XR package on the Rubi from the factory.

2012 WRANGLER LIFT COSTS.jpg
I’m most likely gonna get the Willy’s XR package. My mother in laws friend who’s a salesman did say he can get me a good lease deal on a 4xe. Percentage off invoice and the 7500 tax credit is a bonus to it but I’m not sure. the XR Willy’s is where I’m most likely headed to which I think would be a good choice.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Community: Sorry to say this on the actual wrangler forums... but IMO the Bronco community is building a more accepting and good-natured community than what the Jeep community has become. I can bring the Jeep to a local Bronco trail ride.... I can't bring the Bronco to a local Jeep tail ride.
I’ll put the blame for this squarely on Ford Motor Company. For the past 3+ years Ford has been shitting all over Jeep, while at the same time pretending that it’s shit don’t stink.

I was genuinely excited when I first learned of the return of Bronco. But Ford’s nonstop marketing, fake social media uploads and other blatantly false claims turned me off completely.

It has been easy to watch with glee the litany of problems Ford has had with the Bronco launch.

I’ve been on many trail runs when some Toyota tagged along. They are always welcome by the Jeep community. But you need to know how to earn your spot in someone else’s community.

Last edited:

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
I daily my 392XR. Love it. I enjoy driving to and from work every day. Gas mileage blows as I only get about 8-9mpg in city, but I think it is a small price to pay.

Yeah, it isn't as plush as Grand Cherokee , but I find it perfectly comfortable. I just did a 1500 mile road trip with wife and two kids.

Jeeps aren't the most practical or comfortable rides, but I wanted something with character. Something that stirs my soul every time I get in it. Cars these days have become to sterile and lack character. They insulate you too much.

The Jeep manages to be just comfortable and luxurious enough to make the ride pleasant, but not so insulated that it becomes boring.

colojeepr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubi
The Jeep manages to be just comfortable and luxurious enough to make the ride pleasant, but not so insulated that it becomes boring.
That's 100% the crux of it. Ticks all of my boxes without being a sterile experience.

Sponsored

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I just want to add that a Wrangler is by far the easiest of all the cars I've owned to park in Manhattan...it's pretty compact front-to-back, and the height makes it easy to parallel-in.\
Tight turning radius helps with city drivability and parking too. I was shocked at how tight of a circle my JL 4-dr (my first Jeep) could turn when I picked it up -- better than a lot of compact cars!

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2022 JLUR, 2018 Raptor, 2022 TRX
I wouldn't hesitate to daily an XR package. I drive my JL on 37 MT's and 5:13's almost every day and let my TRX sit in the garage. I just enjoy driving it, but I also appreciate the ruggedness of the ride as well, others may not.

euler

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i, '22 Willys 2.0T
Hello,

I daily drive my '22 Willys (no Recon). I like it, although if I had a longer commute on the highway perhaps it would be more of an issue. This is my first jeep; I was also afraid of what I'd be getting into -- but so far so good.

I did replace the stock tires with K02s, as the stock M/T tires were too loud at highway speeds.

drpericak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Earl JLU Rubicon
Occupation
dentist
As a guy with a 2022 Rubicon XR I'd have to ask you why would you even think about buying a standard Rubicon, then dumping the money in add on stuff. I've been there and done that. The $3995 they ask for the XR package is a bargain compared to what you'd spend doing the same mods to a standard Rubicon. I spent $4370 doing my 2012 Wrangler Rubicon including the labor because quite honestly for $550 I didn't feel like getting my hands dirty. The problem is that money doesn't include the two great things the XR package comes standard with; Performance Brakes and a 4.56 axle ratio. I looked at doing brakes on my 2012, but aftermarked performance brakes can easily run $1000-$2000 per axle. Save yourself the time and money and just get the XR package on the Rubi from the factory.

2012 WRANGLER LIFT COSTS.jpg
There is one very good reason. If you want to drive a manual transmission, you can't order the XR. That's enough reason for me right there.

As far as a Rubicon being a daily driver, that's all I've been driving since 2012. 2 JKUR's a JLUR and a new one that I'll be getting any day now. Never had a Sahara or sport, but I've never had any complaints about the way the Rubi's handle or drive. They suck gas pretty bad, but I knew that before buying one. Plenty of trunk space, however I hate the soft top when I have to put something larger in the trunk.

LARSONEM

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
There is one very good reason. If you want to drive a manual transmission, you can't order the XR. That's enough reason for me right there.

As far as a Rubicon being a daily driver, that's all I've been driving since 2012. 2 JKUR's a JLUR and a new one that I'll be getting any day now. Never had a Sahara or sport, but I've never had any complaints about the way the Rubi's handle or drive. They suck gas pretty bad, but I knew that before buying one. Plenty of trunk space, however I hate the soft top when I have to put something larger in the trunk.
My Jeeps have all been basically a toy; an extra vehicle to use for fun off reading or to shoot around town in. So as far as fuel economy I could have basically not given a rats rump. My 1997 and 2012 were both two door manual transmission soft tops. That’s exactly what I wanted. It was the manual transmission that I’d always wanted as a young person that I never had. When I ordered my 2022 I did things slightly different; still a soft top but a four door with an automatic transmission. Honestly I was tired of shifting it in town all the time. The 8 speed automatic is so smooth and seamless. Stick your foot into the accelerator a little and it jumps up to about 3500 rpm’s shifts and drops back to about 2500 rpm’s. You frequently have to let out of it before it makes it to 8th gear to keep it within the speed limit. The manual transmission was fun but the automatic transmission is great. Amazingly it’ll pull 8th gear on a flat surface as low as 45 mph. While I don’t do a lot of highway driving, the 2012 6 speed manual with 315/70’s and 4:10 gears (speedometer had been corrected for the tire size difference) ran 2500 rpm’s at 70 mph. The 2022 8 speed automatic with 315/70’s and 4:56 gears runs 2100 rpm’s at 70 mph. On trips up north (I pull the travel trailer at 65-68 mph with my Denali HD and my wife follows me in the Jeep) the 2022 Rubicon will show 20-21 mpg on the Driver Information Center. Seldom do I had calculate the fuel mileage because quite honestly I don’t care. My point is for what the Jeep is; 4wd with big tires a big axle ratio and the aerodynamics of a brick, I really don’t think it does that bad on fuel.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
JLU make excellent daily drivers. The place they somewhat suck is long highway drives. When we have more than 2 hours highway drives, we take the wife's Q5. But Jeeps are good around town where you dont have to worry about the road quality and they drive over curbs no problem :)

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I drove a Lexus for a couple of years... I now daily drive a Wrangler... it's fine.

I actually think its weirder for me to go from a Wrangler to a regular car/crossover than it was to go from a crossover to a Wrangler.

xcantuaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
i have had Jeeps all my life. My favorite jeep of all is my current JL. Rubicon with the 2.0 engine. The 3.6 engine is a dog and always frustrated me. Now that I went 2.0 ….I will never look back. Do yourself a favor and test drive both engines. My gf has the new bronco …to me it feels bigger and floaty. It drives smoother on freeway and has a turbo engine. Just like the 2.0 turbo engine …it handles larger tires easily. Good luck

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
My wife daily’s our Jeep. Other considerations are costs. It’s an expensive vehicle to own. Don’t underestimate how expensive gas and insurance are. If you are an average Joe financially, it can hurt to spend all that money when a used Honda Civic can do the same tasks next to nothing. Jeeps and cool cars are nice but at 47 I see things differently from when I was a young man like yourself. Get a Japanese beater, put the money you’d spend on the Jeep into a Roth IRA instead, and build a strong financial future for you and your bride. That’s my advice, unless your financial future has already been created.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
My wife daily’s our Jeep. Other considerations are costs. It’s an expensive vehicle to own. Don’t underestimate how expensive gas and insurance are. If you are an average Joe financially, it can hurt to spend all that money when a used Honda Civic can do the same tasks next to nothing. Jeeps and cool cars are nice but at 47 I see things differently from when I was a young man like yourself. Get a Japanese beater, put the money you’d spend on the Jeep into a Roth IRA instead, and build a strong financial future for you and your bride. That’s my advice, unless your financial future has already been created.
“Japanese beater”. That are generally reliable they will get you to work they will get you home outside of that they bring very little to the table assuming you have some sort of desire beyond the asphalt.

Dad told me save your money son build a future for yourself.

I told dad I’ve been working on this ranch like a rented mule I saved my money and Christmas vacation my senior year of high school I bought a new Corvette and I’ve been living high and wide ever since.

Daddy…he died at 63, never lived to enjoy!

i’m now on the down slope to 80 and I’m still working, why because I love to. Not gonna sit on my ass on the couch, not my lifestyle. Rather die with a chainsaw in my hands or in the seat of a John Deere.

I believe it's half full, not a half empty glass
Every day I wake up knowing it could be my last

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time
So bring on the sunshine, to hell with the red wine
Pour me some moonshine
When I'm gone, put it in stone: "He left nothing behind"

George Strait
Sponsored